Fort William 2021-22 Thread

Aqy

On ‎12‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 14:28, TheScarf said:

That's exactly it.  The 'Fort 9' are highly unlikely to ever play for the ICT first team.  The 4 that played for us against Morton on Saturday are head and shoulders above the ones at Fort (from the 3 youth games I was at last season).  

Some folk on here seen to think they've taken our substitutes on loan.

You may be right on the majority, but would be very surprised if a few don't. Jack Brown already has, & Harry Nicholson is obviously thought to be another with the potential as was in a couple of First Team squads earlier in the season. Would think that Ryan Fyffe will be another if he continues to develop as he is, & maybe one or two others if they develop well, stay fit & have a manager who likes the look of what he sees with any given individual. The benefit for all these lads is that they're getting to play games every week, whilst also training full-time, & importantly able to keep playing the sort of football in which they've been schooled as they're all playing together.  One could argue that they're in a better position than the lads that have been retained at ICT, as other than the odd cup run-out & sub appearance, those lads are getting very little actual game time & therefore development opportunity.

You may be right on the majority, but would be very surprised if a few don't. Jack Brown already has, & Harry Nicholson is obviously thought to be another with the potential as was in a couple of First Team squads earlier in the season. Would think that Ryan Fyffe will be another if he continues to develop as he is, & maybe one or two others if they develop well, stay fit & have a manager who likes the look of what he sees with any given individual. The benefit for all these lads is that they're getting to play games every week, whilst also training full-time, & importantly able to keep playing the sort of football in which they've been schooled as they're all playing together.  One could argue that they're in a better position than the lads that have been retained at ICT, as other than the odd cup run-out & sub appearance, those lads are getting very little actual game time & therefore development opportunity.

MacGregor has already played quite a bit this season, him and Harper will get plenty of chances when our thin squad gets hit with the usual long injury list. Dan MacKay and Dan Hoban are at Elgin so will hopefully get some game time there. Machado and Hyde clearly aren’t considered as good as MacGregor and Harper but they’ve already played at this early stage so I’d expect to see more of them.

Jack Brown has played about 5 minutes, and of him and the rest of the FW loanees I can’t see them making it here. A few of them look decent, Brown and Chalmers in particular, but we’ve had the same in the past with players like Calum Ferguson, Matthew Cooper, Kyle Whyte, Alisdair Sutherland etc who all made it to the first team briefly and then faded away.

Another name to add to your list......Shane Sutherland? Maybe the Club has had a part to play in all these promising youngsters not pushing on? Maybe it's been easier in the past to pick up jobbing pros from the English lower divisions & cast-offs from higher Scottish clubs than properly invest in & develop their own talent? Hasn't been a hugely productive  youth set-up in the past, but reckon that current financial realities mean that they're looking at having to cut their cloth a little closer to home more often. I'd suggest that all of that 'Class of 2018' as the Club tagged them wouldn't have been kept on in years gone by, but maybe the opportunity that this lot have got will pay dividends for them & the Club.   

Anyhow, wouldn't the Club & it's fans like more of this to be the future -

And best wishes to Daniel Mackay in his rehabilitation from his current injury

Another name to add to your list......Shane Sutherland? Maybe the Club has had a part to play in all these promising youngsters not pushing on? Maybe it's been easier in the past to pick up jobbing pros from the English lower divisions & cast-offs from higher Scottish clubs than properly invest in & develop their own talent? Hasn't been a hugely productive  youth set-up in the past, but reckon that current financial realities mean that they're looking at having to cut their cloth a little closer to home more often. I'd suggest that all of that 'Class of 2018' as the Club tagged them wouldn't have been kept on in years gone by, but maybe the opportunity that this lot have got will pay dividends for them & the Club.   
Anyhow, wouldn't the Club & it's fans like more of this to be the future -
And best wishes to Daniel Mackay in his rehabilitation from his current injury

The club probably have a fair bit to do with it but it’s irrelevant as it won’t change.

Umm I’m going to chime in here.
When Wick were admitted it was seen as allowing a joke teuchter club in.
Many years later Wick have challenged at least once, been total dubbins and mid table most of the time.
Highland League is not the EPL premier, but it’s a damn sight mair fun.

Was at the game last Wednesday. Had been to the ground before but never for a game. Delightful place to watch football, the social club before was good, the crowd must've been 150ish. The standard wasn't brilliant but neither was it terrible, there were a few more experienced guys out there like Blair Lawrie and Sean Webb but most of them were very young. Great trip, will be back.

1 hour ago, highlandcowden said:

id like to see rangers/celtic loan a load of players to falkirks rivals all the time to see what you think of that

I don't think the SPFL rules permit that though and, anyway, considering how the Colts teams have done in the Challenge Cup I am sure that no one would be too bothered if 5 Rangers youth players went on loan to a League 1 team.

2 hours ago, highlandcowden said:

id like to see rangers/celtic loan a load of players to falkirks rivals all the time to see what you think of that

1 hour ago, Muzza81 said:

I don't think the SPFL rules permit that though and, anyway, considering how the Colts teams have done in the Challenge Cup I am sure that no one would be too bothered if 5 Rangers youth players went on loan to a League 1 team.

We beat Celtic colts a few weeks back. 

2 hours ago, GordonD said:

Now watch all the patronising English b*****ds who only followed them when they were shite, vanish like a Boris Johnson promise.

Saw one (unintentionally) humorous comment on their Facebook where somebody said that they loved seeing this 'angry football', with all the players that had been used to getting humped every week now having turned it around & putting in performances that were getting them results. Not quite got his finger on the pulse there!

By the way, I'm English but not patronising about Fort, so won't take offence! ;-)  

8 hours ago, Highland ITFC said:

Saw one (unintentionally) humorous comment on their Facebook where somebody said that they loved seeing this 'angry football', with all the players that had been used to getting humped every week now having turned it around & putting in performances that were getting them results. Not quite got his finger on the pulse there!

By the way, I'm English but not patronising about Fort, so won't take offence! 😉

You are kinda patronising tbh