Fort William 2021-22 Thread

Aqy

12 hours ago, ArabAuslander said:

The best long-term solution for Fort William for survival as a club, would be the installation of a 4G Pitch at Claggan Park. Would almost certainly need some form of Council funding.

I've always been surprised by the lack of artificial surfaces in the HL considering that it's the HL clubs that would need it the most.

Cove going up means there aren't any in HL.

In stark contrast LL = 8... EOSL = 6 ... SOSL = 7... SPFL = 16.

Possibly an element of conservatism/traditionalism? Also do most HL clubs own their grounds... that can make it harder to obtain grants than when it's leased from a council or trust.

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Cove going up means there aren't any in HL.

In stark contrast LL = 8... EOSL = 6 ... SOSL = 7... SPFL = 16.

Possibly an element of conservatism/traditionalism? Also do most HL clubs own their grounds... that can make it harder to obtain grants than when it's leased from a council or trust.

Clachnacuddin were close to getting one a couple of years ago as a groundshare with Inverness City (RIP), but grant funding was cut. There was a lot of resistance anyway from the football side. Not sure how much it would help Claggan Park, drainage would still be a major problem.

Edited by welshbairn

16 hours ago, ArabAuslander said:

The best long-term solution for Fort William for survival as a club, would be the installation of a 4G Pitch at Claggan Park. Would almost certainly need some form of Council funding.

I've always been surprised by the lack of artificial surfaces in the HL considering that it's the HL clubs that would need it the most.

There was some discussion about this a few years ago. At the time there was a very vague plan for a new pitch at the Black Parks. In the end, the pitch was laid at the High School.

2 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:
3 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:
Didn't Fort William try to get one but it went to the Shinty team?

Last time I was at An Aird they were developing a new pitch behind the clubhouse. I think it was going to be a grass pitch though.

The cost of an artificial shinty pitch would be huge, they're something like 150 metres long and 70 metres wide!

Just now, Cyclizine said:

The cost of an artificial shinty pitch would be huge, they're something like 150 metres long and 70 metres wide!

I think it was the High School that you mentioned above that I was misremembering. That rang a bell. In looking up Fort William Shinty pitch in hopes of finding reference to a plastic pitch, I did see something for the recent renovation that was done that cost £200k with the main talking point being that they now had floodlights.

An Aird is one of the "Big Three" shinty grounds along with Bught Park in Inverness and Mossfield in Oban. The Camanachd Cup finals are usually held at one of them. I can see why Highland Council and Sport Scotland would prefer to spend on the shinty facilities over Claggan Park, sadly.

The next Cammanchad Cup Final is being held at Kingussie on 19 September 2020.

Very decent stadium, size appropriate, reflecting investment made by the local team and community, no doubt some grant funding too.

Grass pitch at Kingussie. The weekly cost of replacing the divots on a 4G shinty pitch would be interesting!

52 minutes ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

It's been a mess with rain for a dozen years and more. 

Yep, even after rotating the pitch. They really need an astro pitch or an incredible drainage system, but that's not likely to happen any time soon.

When I see the amount of clubs that can switch to astro pitches with funding and grants I wonder what barriers there are for The Fort in doing the same. The location, size of town, catchment area, potential use as a community space for such a large area make it appear ripe for such a scheme. There would be more folk in Lochaber who could make use of it than just Fort William FC

When I see the amount of clubs that can switch to astro pitches with funding and grants I wonder what barriers there are for The Fort in doing the same. The location, size of town, catchment area, potential use as a community space for such a large area make it appear ripe for such a scheme. There would be more folk in Lochaber who could make use of it than just Fort William FC
Shinty being the main attraction up that way is one of the primary reasons I'd imagine.

4 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

Shinty being the main attraction up that way is one of the primary reasons I'd imagine.

It can't be the main attraction to the extent that there aren't enough people interested in playing football on a semi-regular basis, competitive or not. 

8 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

The ground is owned by the council I believe and is officially a public park so I imagine making it astro is unlikely.