Fort William 2021-22 Thread

Aqy

1 hour ago, Comrie said:

I figured Clach would be a side Fort William would be looking to beat, Clach are absolutely all over the place out wide.

Given Clach's current predicament and the fact it was a midweek game - something that would favour a side full of full-time albeit young pros - it is the kind of game Fort really had to win. I don't think 1-0 is particularly impressive in the circumstances. 

Agree with Waspie, this was always going to be a tie the Fort had to get something from, just glad they did. Bodes well for the cup game this weekend, considering how poor Vale of Leithen have been.

The Fort have never had a ‘must win’ before😁.  Why is everyone so quick to write Clach off.  They played well against Buckie & ICT and but for a crossbar rebound  it would have been quite different in Claggan. With Fort getting their house in order, there are no easy teams in the HL. Good times for football.

10 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

Who gives a toss? They have signed players that the rules permit. No different to Kilmarnock signing anyone.

This! First people have a go at FW for claiming fame because they're so rubbish. Now they are improving themselves on the pitch and people have a go at them for that. You can't win...

Well done Fort William!  They have become a bit of a cult favourite side so glad to see them able to get a win.

Re: the Inverness players, there is nothing wrong with that.  They were able to strike up a deal with ICT to loan some players, this happens all over football.  Some people seem desperate to find something to have a go at Fort William for and this is the latest angle.

Edited by senorsoupe

1 hour ago, dumpweed said:

Would Fort William have won this game if they didn't have the players on loan from ICT?

last year we drew so maybe,  The fort has had good quality players before but money talks. Would Brora be so successful if they weren’t paying good wages?  Is it wrong for Buckie to take 4 loanees from Ross County?  This is football and you do what you can to survive and thrive.

3 hours ago, Woody from Fort William said:

The Fort have never had a ‘must win’ before😁.  Why is everyone so quick to write Clach off.  They played well against Buckie & ICT and but for a crossbar rebound  it would have been quite different in Claggan. With Fort getting their house in order, there are no easy teams in the HL. Good times for football.

There’s been a seven goal margin, four six goal margins,  five five goal margins and four four goal margins in the first few weeks of the season.

I won’t pretend to be an expert on the Highland League, but the last two Saturdays I was at Strathspey v Lossiemouth and saw the second half of Clach v Buckie after we were told we weren’t getting into Caley Thistle v Morton.

The first game was a walk in the park for Strathspey- I’d argue Lossiemouth were the worst senior team I’ve ever seen in 30 odd years of watching football. Clach weren’t much better against a Buckie team that didn’t get out of second gear. To suggest they played well against Buckie is really pushing it, unless I missed a brilliant first half performance that mustered nothing.

Fort William taking on a group of boys en masse after whoring themselves out to the media for being sh*te, getting a bit of publicity and scraping a 1-0 win over another rancid team who haven’t been so fortunate to be viewed as enough of a comedy club to garner sympathy and media focus hardly constitutes “getting their house in order”.

Edited by Toby

Fort were regularly taking points off Clach even in the worst of their form, IIRC. As has been noted, teams are struggling against Fort in midweek after players have been at work all day or, in Clach's case, school. A win's a win, but only beating them 1-0 probably isn't the return expected. 

Lossie's trip to Strathspey is widely regarded as the point where we bottomed out. 

2 hours ago, Woody from Fort William said:

If you bring in 9 players from a Championship side then it is reasonable that expectations will change. 

I was at the Clach game at the weekend and it was obvious that Sandy MacLeod has a big job on his hands. Clach worked hard and frustrated Buckie but they had absolutely no creative threat at all. Even when Buckie made some glaring defensive errors Clach were unable to take advantage.  I expected Fort William to beat them last night and I don't think 1-0 in the circumstances is  too much to shout about.  If Fort couldn't beat that Clach side then there would be real questions over the path they are taking.

Fair play to Fort in attracting so much support from further afield due to their shite record. But you need to accept that not everybody will buy into the (questionable IMO) narrative that the club are pushing.