Fort William 2021-22 Thread

Aqy

Don’t think it’s reasonable for people to be expecting Fort to be well up the table right now. It’s a pretty new squad that still needs to gel and the 9 Caley players have (i think) 1 Scottish Championship sub appearance between them. These are inexperienced young boys who will all likely end up in the HL in a couple of years anyway, it’s not like they’ve been taken over by some tycoon. Competing in games, winning games and maybe finishing a few places higher than last season would be a very good achievement.

Don’t think it’s reasonable for people to be expecting Fort to be well up the table right now. It’s a pretty new squad that still needs to gel and the 9 Caley players have (i think) 1 Scottish Championship sub appearance between them. These are inexperienced young boys who will all likely end up in the HL in a couple of years anyway, it’s not like they’ve been taken over by some tycoon. Competing in games, winning games and maybe finishing a few places higher than last season would be a very good achievement.

I’ve heard a few reports that the Caley boys aren’t exactly impressed with the Fort manager. Training is supposed to be a joke as is the prep on match days.

All of which is understandable since he was just a bloke helping out then shoved into the job but it’s not exactly helping them.

16 minutes ago, lithgierose said:

Is the guy who travels from Edinburgh still there.

Think his name is Josh Knowles, not on their list of players for this season though - just as well, because travelling all the way from Edinburgh is fucking stupid.

43 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Think his name is Josh Knowles, not on their list of players for this season though - just as well, because travelling all the way from Edinburgh is fucking stupid.

He's playing for Sleat & Strath on Skye. Logical guess he's a student though and might be back down to Edinburgh in due course.

13 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Ever since the programme aired I’ve looked out for their results. Thought finally getting the win a few weeks back would have lead to better league results 

I've been looking out for them to lose every week like the two-bob Colts' outfit they now are. It's notable that Strathspey Thistle have been stinking for years themselves but recorded their second win in three games by swording them at the weekend. I doubt their struggles to put out a credible team have been much easier than Fort William's yet their club doesn't seem to be dining out on the media attention of being fucking horseshit or relying on a stack of Inverness ringers to turn things round for them. 

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

I've been looking out for them to lose every week like the two-bob Colts' outfit they now are. It's notable that Strathspey Thistle have been stinking for years themselves but recorded their second win in three games by swording them at the weekend. I doubt their struggles to put out a credible team have been much easier than Fort William's yet their club doesn't seem to be dining out on the media attention of being fucking horseshit or relying on a stack of Inverness ringers to turn things round for them. 

The colts thing doesn’t sit easy with me as I feel sorry for the players  who stuck with the Fort when things were grim, the young lads including the boy who travelled from Edinburgh. I read he’s at another team now, but I hope the Caley boys aren’t getting a game before those that showed loyalty for not much reward . 

We started last season lucky to field eleven players, mostly from the Inverness welfare. With the exception of a few, most local players had left the Fort for other HL clubs, shinty or ametuer football. This season without the Inverness boys we would have some gifted youngsters and the same few. The results might improve but not much, the caley boys gives us breathing space to bring the youngsters on, hopefully without exposing them to huge defeats.  We haven’t let anyone go who didn’t want to leave, and We are now no longer forced to play players who are not ready physically or mentally.  The media attention and the loan deals are things Fort must do to survive and thrive.  You gentlemen are entitled to you’re opinion but at the end of the day that is all it is.

45 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

The colts thing doesn’t sit easy with me as I feel sorry for the players  who stuck with the Fort when things were grim, the young lads including the boy who travelled from Edinburgh. I read he’s at another team now, but I hope the Caley boys aren’t getting a game before those that showed loyalty for not much reward . 

I'm sure if this was our team, we, as fans, would be quite happy to see better performances and results, no matter how loyal the previous squad had been.

3 hours ago, Woody from Fort William said:

It’s fair to say that strathspey and ourselves were in the same part of the league although they were not shipping double figures ever.  A new management team took over, they have some excellent players mostly from the Inverness area. They will go from strength to strength this season.

Hate to be pedantic but they lost 10-0 away to Formartine in April 2016, I'm sure there are more. I agree that they should climb away towards midtable this season.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Hate to be pedantic but they lost 10-0 away to Formartine in April 2016, I'm sure there are more. I agree that they should climb away towards midtable this season.

Kinda meant last season but I should have worded it better, point is most HL teams have had their troubles Rothes, Nairn County, even Brora have had to start from scratch previously.  With the HL being seen these days as a springboard to div2 football, money talks and it is getting harder to compete, There are rumours that North caley teams are paying higher wages than us these days.

As a club we want to compete, on this thread and the last one, we are criticised for being uncompetitive and now for trying to be more competitive. These Caley boys are just that 18 yr olds, they are not going to do anything other than hopefully steady the ship, long enough to bring our own youth players on.

Edited by Woody from Fort William

Didn't hear much about the Keith game other than the result, seems that John Treasurer took a sore one after a bad tackle and had to come off. 1-0 loss to Keith isn't a bad result, but need to start scoring some goals.