Fort William 2021-22 Thread

Aqy

One for the  "How are the Fort boys taking the Caley Colts takeover? Because i'd be in a huff and packing my bags"

Scott Hunter, who was apparently subbed after only 25 mins last night. His reaction today:

His write up for the justgiving page

My name is Scott Hunter and I play for Fort William FC. Some of you may know our story , others maybe not. You can learn about it here in the film "A Long Way to Winning" 📽️➡️ https://bit.ly/2X8SFDW or the recent coverage on Sky Sports 📽️➡️ https://bit.ly/2IRQ1JN ot The BBC Production "The Fort"

We have the unfortunate label of being described as the worst team in the UK. At the start of our last season our board of directors stood down , our squad was depleted to 5 first team players , we were asked to drop out of the Highland League but voted to stay and protect our history and provide a platform for our youth teams. After scraping through the last season on the back of some very dark defeats and finishing with -7 points it's hard to argue our label but it's something we are desperate to change and as soon as possible.

The factors in our decline over the years and in particular last season consist of many problems . Player recruitment , geography , finance , our facilities , our climate, even our reputation is against us. We also lost our local 11 a side amatuer league in the summer , Football in Fort William is at all time low. If im honest writing this actually makes me pretty sad as ive witnessed the decline over the last 10 years. I cant imagine what its like for the older generation where football once thrived.

Local footballers aren't keen to turn out for a side that hasn't won a game in 2 years and has so many problems off the field and it's even harder to recruit the quality players we need further afield in the Highlands. It's been described as the toughest job in world football and you can see why.

As most people will know don't have the money like many in the Highland League have , and as most people will know it's not about the money anyway but the harsh reality in football is we require funds to strengthen and improve our squad and facilities and start climbing the table.

I've set up this little fundraiser with a couple of prizes to try give the FWFC warchest a boost ahead of what will be another long and difficult season both on and off the pitch for Fort William FC. I've set the target for £1000 and the money will be used to help improve the squad and facilities at Claggan Park , provide new equipment at training , provide indoor and 4g facilities in the winter when Claggan becomes unplayable , injury and physio costs , small day to day running costs , and also be donating some of funds raised the to the Highland League Primary Stars , a local run football programme for children in Fort William which the club works closely with at Claggan

Up for grabs is one of the first new Fort William FC replica shirts , I bought it myself for my personal FWFC history collection , it has my number 7 on the back so it was hard to give up an original SH7 but I am lucky I get to wear the jersey most weeks and I know they are in high demand so thought it would be a good prize. Theres only a handful made so far and believe maybe sold out soon. If you win and would like it signed I can arrange the lads to sign it before posting.

Second prize is a signed Lewis Capaldi vinyl of his new album. I was at a small meet and greet gig recently and managed to grab a signed vinyl of his new album " Divinely Uninspired To A Hellish Extent" which you can also win. Again I think these are quite popular so hopefully somebody would like to win the prizes.

To enter the competition and win the replica FWFC shirt or the signed Lewis Capaldi album I ask you make a small donation of £2 to the club. As above ALL the proceeds will go to the club. Simple donate £2 to the club and leave your name on the just giving page alongside your donation and we will draw a winner for each prize at an upcoming home game.

If this is a success then I have 1 or 2 more fundraisers in the pipeline , so give me a follow on Twitter if your into this sort of thing and please retweet/share. Even if you don't enter a share or retweet is just as valuable to the club.

Thank you for your time in reading and for your continued support of FWFC , as a player and on behalf of the whole squad we thank you for your faith and encouragement at these times when we need it most.

Scott Hunter

Fort William FC

Scotty Hunter the Panenka King, He was subbed because he had been booked early on and was getting the refs attention.  Sending offs change games so better safe than sorry,  tbh I’m delighted that the manager will do that previously we would have watched it like a car crash.  Scotty is a huge part of this club and will be an influential player for us this season.

1 hour ago, Woody from Fort William said:

Scotty Hunter the Panenka King, He was subbed because he had been booked early on and was getting the refs attention.  Sending offs change games so better safe than sorry

Good point. Every fan will see their team will sub players before the half hour mark several times a season.

I like Scotty, but he's got a reputation and the opposition know it's easy to wind him up and get him booked (or sent off). I'd like to see Russell get him to calm down a bit, as he's a decent player while he's on the park.

20 minutes ago, Aqy said:

I like Scotty, but he's got a reputation and the opposition know it's easy to wind him up and get him booked (or sent off). I'd like to see Russell get him to calm down a bit, as he's a decent player while he's on the park.

Tbh I think he might have learnt  a tough lesson on Wednesday, for the team to have got their first win without him on the pitch. Might make him screw the nut, have to say though,  not many players would pull of that panenka penalty in the dying minutes of the season we had last year.

Not many players would pull of that panenka penalty in the dying minutes of the season we had last year.

I'm glad the camera never caught my reaction, I was jumping all over the place like a loon. He probably should have been sent off for a second yellow before that though, when he booted the ball at the Wicker at that throw-in!

Victory over Nairn County in the Pat Munro North of Scotland Cup on Wednesday gave Fort William their first win in any competition for the first time in almost two full years. The Highland League strugglers last won a game when they bested Elgin City in the opening round of the same competition in August 2017, before going out to Forres Mechanics in the quarter-finals after failing to raise a team for the tie.

Fort William remain without a league win since Wednesday, April 12th, 2017, when they were 4-1 winners against Strathspey Thistle. Fort last won a league game on a Saturday on October 8th, 2016, when they beat Turriff United at Claggan Park.

A WINLESS STREAK – IN NUMBERS…

Last win prior to Wednesday – Fort William 4-0 Elgin City (Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017)
Days without a win – 706 (Thursday, August 24th, 2017 – Tuesday, July 30th, 2019)
Games without a win – 70 (across all competitions)
Games lost – 63
Games drawn – 7
Goals scored – 48
Goals conceded – 452
Clean sheets – 0
Last clean sheet – Fort William 4-0 Elgin City (NOS Cup, Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017)

Longest season-long losing streak – 2017/18 – 15 games, 2018/19 – 18, 2019/20 – 1
Unbeaten streak – 2017/18 – 1 game (5 times), 2018/19 – 1 game (2 times)
Losing run when streak ended – 19 games

Last league win – Fort William 4-1 Strathspey Thistle (Wednesday, April 12th, 2017)
Last Saturday win – Fort William 3-2 Turriff United (SHFL, Saturday, October 8th, 2016)
Last league clean sheet – Strathspey Thistle 0-1 Fort William (Saturday, September 3rd, 2016)
Last home league clean sheet – Fort William 2-0 Keith (Saturday, November 22nd, 2014)

MATCHES LOST TO (63)…

5 – Forres Mechanics, Fraserburgh, 4 – Buckie Thistle, Brora Rangers, Deveronvale, Formartine United, Inverurie Loco Works, Nairn County, Turriff United, Wick Academy, 3 – Clachnacuddin, Cove Rangers, Huntly, Lossiemouth, Rothes, 2 – Keith, Strathspey Thistle, 1 – Inverness Caledonian Thistle, Linlithgow Rose

MATCHES DRAWN (7)…

2 – Clachnacuddin, Strathspey Thistle, 1 – Keith, Lossiemouth, Strathspey Thistle

GOALS SCORED AGAINST (48)…

8 – Lossiemouth, 6 – Turriff United, 5 – Clachnacuddin, 4 – Keith, Strathspey Thistle, 3 Formartine United, Forres Mechanics, Wick Academy, 2 – Cove Rangers, Huntly, Inverurie Loco Works, Nairn County, Rothes, 1 – Buckie Thistle, Deveronvale, 0 – Brora Rangers, Fraserburgh

GOALS CONCEDED TO (452)…

46 – Fraserburgh, 42 – Brora Rangers, 40 – Formartine United, 35 – Turriff United, 29 – Cove Rangers, 27 – Buckie Thistle, 26 – Inverurie Loco Works, 25 – Rothes, 24 – Deveronvale, Forres Mechanics, 22 – Wick Academy, 19 – Clachnacuddin, 18 – Keith, 16 – Huntly, Inverness Caledonian Thistle, 15 – Lossiemouth, 13 – Nairn County, 12 – Strathspey Thistle, 3 – Linlithgow Rose

BIGGEST DEFEATS…

2017/18 – Brora Rangers 16-0 Fort William (Saturday, December 2nd, 2017)
2018/19 – Fort William 0-16 Inverness Caledonian Thistle (NOS Cup, Tuesday, July 31st, 2018)

NARROWEST DEFEATS…

2017/18 – Fort William 3-4 Lossiemouth (Saturday, December 23rd, 2017), Clachnacuddin 2-1 Fort William (Wednesday, November 8th, 2017)
2018/19 – Fort William 3-4 Lossiemouth (Saturday, September 29th, 2018)

HIGHEST SCORING DRAW…

2017/18 – Fort William 3-3 Keith (Saturday, May 2nd, 2018)
2018/19 – Fort William 3-3 Clachnacuddin (Wednesday, November 7th, 2018)

CLOSEST TO A WIN…

2017/18 – Bradley Manson scored with 4 minutes remaining to earn Keith a draw at Claggan Park (Saturday, May 2nd, 2018)
2018/19 – Scott Lisle scored with 10 minutes remaining to earn Strathspey a draw at Claggan Park (Wednesday, August 29th, 2018)

10 hours ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

Victory over Nairn County in the Pat Munro North of Scotland Cup on Wednesday gave Fort William their first win in any competition for the first time in almost two full years. The Highland League strugglers last won a game when they bested Elgin City in the opening round of the same competition in August 2017, before going out to Forres Mechanics in the quarter-finals after failing to raise a team for the tie.

Fort William remain without a league win since Wednesday, April 12th, 2017, when they were 4-1 winners against Strathspey Thistle. Fort last won a league game on a Saturday on October 8th, 2016, when they beat Turriff United at Claggan Park.

A WINLESS STREAK – IN NUMBERS…

Last win prior to Wednesday – Fort William 4-0 Elgin City (Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017)
Days without a win – 706 (Thursday, August 24th, 2017 – Tuesday, July 30th, 2019)
Games without a win – 70 (across all competitions)
Games lost – 63
Games drawn – 7
Goals scored – 48
Goals conceded – 452
Clean sheets – 0
Last clean sheet – Fort William 4-0 Elgin City (NOS Cup, Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017)

Longest season-long losing streak – 2017/18 – 15 games, 2018/19 – 18, 2019/20 – 1
Unbeaten streak – 2017/18 – 1 game (5 times), 2018/19 – 1 game (2 times)
Losing run when streak ended – 19 games

Last league win – Fort William 4-1 Strathspey Thistle (Wednesday, April 12th, 2017)
Last Saturday win – Fort William 3-2 Turriff United (SHFL, Saturday, October 8th, 2016)
Last league clean sheet – Strathspey Thistle 0-1 Fort William (Saturday, September 3rd, 2016)
Last home league clean sheet – Fort William 2-0 Keith (Saturday, November 22nd, 2014)

MATCHES LOST TO (63)…

5 – Forres Mechanics, Fraserburgh, 4 – Buckie Thistle, Brora Rangers, Deveronvale, Formartine United, Inverurie Loco Works, Nairn County, Turriff United, Wick Academy, 3 – Clachnacuddin, Cove Rangers, Huntly, Lossiemouth, Rothes, 2 – Keith, Strathspey Thistle, 1 – Inverness Caledonian Thistle, Linlithgow Rose

MATCHES DRAWN (7)…

2 – Clachnacuddin, Strathspey Thistle, 1 – Keith, Lossiemouth, Strathspey Thistle

GOALS SCORED AGAINST (48)…

8 – Lossiemouth, 6 – Turriff United, 5 – Clachnacuddin, 4 – Keith, Strathspey Thistle, 3 Formartine United, Forres Mechanics, Wick Academy, 2 – Cove Rangers, Huntly, Inverurie Loco Works, Nairn County, Rothes, 1 – Buckie Thistle, Deveronvale, 0 – Brora Rangers, Fraserburgh

GOALS CONCEDED TO (452)…

46 – Fraserburgh, 42 – Brora Rangers, 40 – Formartine United, 35 – Turriff United, 29 – Cove Rangers, 27 – Buckie Thistle, 26 – Inverurie Loco Works, 25 – Rothes, 24 – Deveronvale, Forres Mechanics, 22 – Wick Academy, 19 – Clachnacuddin, 18 – Keith, 16 – Huntly, Inverness Caledonian Thistle, 15 – Lossiemouth, 13 – Nairn County, 12 – Strathspey Thistle, 3 – Linlithgow Rose

BIGGEST DEFEATS…

2017/18 – Brora Rangers 16-0 Fort William (Saturday, December 2nd, 2017)
2018/19 – Fort William 0-16 Inverness Caledonian Thistle (NOS Cup, Tuesday, July 31st, 2018)

NARROWEST DEFEATS…

2017/18 – Fort William 3-4 Lossiemouth (Saturday, December 23rd, 2017), Clachnacuddin 2-1 Fort William (Wednesday, November 8th, 2017)
2018/19 – Fort William 3-4 Lossiemouth (Saturday, September 29th, 2018)

HIGHEST SCORING DRAW…

2017/18 – Fort William 3-3 Keith (Saturday, May 2nd, 2018)
2018/19 – Fort William 3-3 Clachnacuddin (Wednesday, November 7th, 2018)

CLOSEST TO A WIN…

2017/18 – Bradley Manson scored with 4 minutes remaining to earn Keith a draw at Claggan Park (Saturday, May 2nd, 2018)
2018/19 – Scott Lisle scored with 10 minutes remaining to earn Strathspey a draw at Claggan Park (Wednesday, August 29th, 2018)

Jeez I hope you cut and pasted this, if not your obsession is becoming unhealthy, any word on the pay scales of other HL teams.

18 hours ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

What can I say. Some of us know stuff about this league, some of you don’t.

Still haven’t backed up your £20 per player is average pay for the HL statement.

But to reel off that huge page of statistics from you’re head without cutting and pasting is very impressive, well done.

Still haven’t backed up your £20 per player is average pay for the HL statement.
But to reel off that huge page of statistics from you’re head without cutting and pasting is very impressive, well done.

Where would I have cut and pasted it from?

How much are the Lossie players paid?

You don't want that to be public or all the Fort boys will be rushing up for a trial. Stats are what he does btw, I wouldn't take it personally about Fort. Came out of the BBC wrongly saying how many games it had been since your last win, ignoring your glorious victory in the North Cup v Elgin.

Impressive stats here, but seriously concerned at the "guesstimated" figures for player wages... I'm sure that the HMRC would be interested to read this. If a player is signed on a professional contact then he is obliged to receive the NMW for their age regardless if they play for the U17s, U20s or 1st team. Players hours include the time they arrive until the time they leave the stadium on a match day, training hours and time spent on club transport travelling to and from games. Players also must receive holiday pay and all the other benefits under employment law.

It would be illegal to pay a professional player anything less than an average of £110 per week based on training twice a week and a match on a Saturday.

So there are 2 possible situations here... Highland League clubs (From Fort William to Formartine) are either working within the law.... or they aren't!

...answers on a postcard!