do you like cooking?

Ylf

My partner and I make quite a good cooking team. I can do the savoury stuff so pasta and curry sauces and pies while he does desserts and baking. He's infuriatingly good at jam, doesn't even bother to weight what goes in it. Just fires in however much sugar looks about right.

My partner and I make quite a good cooking team. I can do the savoury stuff so pasta and curry sauces and pies while he does desserts and baking. He's infuriatingly good at jam, doesn't even bother to weight what goes in it. Just fires in however much sugar looks about right.
Homemade jam is the atomic bomb. When I were a lad where I grew up there were loads of wild raspberries. We used to harvest them and take them to a local old wife, in return wed ve given a cut of the jam.

Beats whatever the wee shitebag kids get up to these days.... Online bullying and snorting bathsalts I believe.

7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Homemade jam is the atomic bomb. When I were a lad where I grew up there were loads of wild raspberries. We used to harvest them and take them to a local old wife, in return wed ve given a cut of the jam.

Beats whatever the wee shitebag kids get up to these days.... Online bullying and snorting bathsalts I believe.

Image result for OLD MAN CLOse door gif

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

I'm of the opinion that raspberry is the best flavour of anything in the world. 

We have raspberry bushes in the garden and I've been taking off the ripe berries every few days and freezing them. Weighed them out earlier and we have a kilo so they're getting made into jam today.  There's still a fair few on the bushes that haven't ripened yet so I'm going to be greedy and nip up to a patch up at the union canal and pick more there, should hopefully get another kilo.

1 hour ago, Rizzo said:

We have raspberry bushes in the garden and I've been taking off the ripe berries every few days and freezing them. Weighed them out earlier and we have a kilo so they're getting made into jam today.  There's still a fair few on the bushes that haven't ripened yet so I'm going to be greedy and nip up to a patch up at the union canal and pick more there, should hopefully get another kilo.

I'd previously have agreed unequivocally yet cherry is becoming my favourite. Mrs makes these wee cakes with Amarena cherries and they are incredible. Cherry jam too. 

1 hour ago, Rizzo said:

Rhubarb jam is far superior to Raspberry but Lemon Curd is the daddy of all spreadable preserves.

44 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

Rhubarb jam is far superior to Raspberry but Lemon Curd is the daddy of all spreadable preserves.

Away you go, lemon curd is for folk that don't have their own teeth any longer.

22 hours ago, NJ2 said:

This was the reason I started ordering stuff from HelloFresh. I’m not going to try and punt it or f**k all, I’m not on commission - I’m sure there’s alternative very similar companies.

I've tried this before too, and if you're a busy type, disorganised, not very confident in the kitchen, or just want to get a bit more variety in, it's a great place to start. It's not the cheapest way to go about it, but you get to keep the recipe cards so you can then shop yourself and get it all a lot cheaper. I gave it up because of the price really. 

I loved cooking years ago, and liked trying out all sorts, but when I qualified as a nurse, started working 13 hour shifts, I was far too knackered for it most of the time. Adam took over a lot of the cooking, and he's really good at it, plus he loved a Sunday in the kitchen with Sky Sports and a few beers. I totally lost interest in it. I've had to start getting back into it though as I don't want to live on takeaway, and I don't want the kids to either. I ended up getting the Pinch Of Nom book and I've got my love of it back. I've a big cook book collection and I've been diving through them as well. The kids are really enjoying trying new things and the youngest has even told me that my cooking is awesome ("because it wasn't really very good before, mum") 🙄 I got the Pinch Of Nom planner a few weeks back and it's brilliant. I batch cook for work or just to have some easy reheatable things for when I want something quick. I'm also under 9st for the first time since my teens! 

2 hours ago, Rizzo said:

Away you go, lemon curd is for folk that don't have their own teeth any longer.

Sorry you're way off here, a nice tart curd (not ken) is the perfect accompaniment to sourdough toast. 

ETA: Raspberry Jam is perfect if you don't have teeth because then you won't get the seeds stuck in your teeth.

Edited by Adam101

• 2 months later...