do you like cooking?

Ylf

I love cooking but I'm normally too knackered after work to do it, so my wife tends to cook during the week and I cook at weekends and in the school holidays. I like having the time to experiment with things and try things out, which used to drive her up the wall when she was still waiting for dinner at 9pm on a Tuesday night. 😅

I also love a bit of what Mrs CCH calls 'glory cooking': inviting friends round and doing a fancy 3 course dinner, then basking in all the praise while she seethes at the mess I've made of the kitchen.

Usually fucking shattered when I get home from cooking for others.

Running around a kitchen all day uses up a load of calories, so end up craving high-calorie foods.

I love cooking but I'm normally too knackered after work to do it, so my wife tends to cook during the week and I cook at weekends and in the school holidays. I like having the time to experiment with things and try things out, which used to drive her up the wall when she was still waiting for dinner at 9pm on a Tuesday night. [emoji28]
I also love a bit of what Mrs CCH calls 'glory cooking': inviting friends round and doing a fancy 3 course dinner, then basking in all the praise while she seethes at the mess I've made of the kitchen.

I have a bit of that, I enjoy trying the elaborate meals and seeing how they turn out.

I’ve heard “that’s nice that you’ve offered to cook but I’m hungry so I’ll do it” a few times. It’s a win win approach really.

Love to cook. My problem is I can't be arsed going and getting the ingredients. 

I need to plan about 2 days in advance what to have if I want if I'm going to rustle something up from scratch. My diet is 75% porridge, eggs (scrambled or omelette) and chicken and rice. Then 4 Frys Orange Creme's. 

21 minutes ago, Dele said:

I need to plan about 2 days in advance what to have if I want if I'm going to rustle something up from scratch. My diet is 75% porridge, eggs (scrambled or omelette) and chicken and rice. Then 4 Frys Orange Creme's. 

A nicely balanced and nutritious diet. Go steady on the rice, though.

She’s started to get me involved with cooking, something I’d always refused to do, but when she’s working more hours and making more money than you, I suppose I have to do my bit. Nothing beats the shout from the kitchen that it’s ready though and she does appreciate my effort 

8 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Everything about cooking is shite. Right from the get-go you need to visit a supermarket just to collect the ingredients, all the while trying to navigate round numerous screaming children or obese schemies, then you have the choice of using a self scan check-out which may or may not require the assistance of a human to get through it, or you can visit a brain-dead operative who throws your ingredients back at you without a care in the world. Then you need to prepare and cook the thing. Some people find this "fun" or "therapeutic" and all I can say is that I hope I never have to sit and have a pint with these people. Then, after all that hassle, you finally get to sit down and eat your meal. I'll concede, I enjoy this bit, 10 minutes of joy - then right back to the hassle of cleaning all your shit up.

There are just so many other things I'd rather do than all of that shit. 

And the dishes. No matter how well you wash them, they just keep coming back.

Filling up the sink, taking over the worktops.......

I do all the cooking, wouldn’t trust her to cook a frozen pizza. Usually go shopping on a Sunday morning and get everything in for the week. Think the main thing for me was to build up all the spices and condiments over time then can pretty much make anything. Also a good knife makes all the difference, saves a good amount of time on prep

I started getting into cooking at the start of the year and I do enjoy it. Only problem I have is always cooling the same things. Seems to be a rotation of curry, bolognese, fajitas or burgers. Not got a clue of where to look to find some things to mix things up a bit.

I started getting into cooking at the start of the year and I do enjoy it. Only problem I have is always cooling the same things. Seems to be a rotation of curry, bolognese, fajitas or burgers. Not got a clue of where to look to find some things to mix things up a bit.

This was the reason I started ordering stuff from HelloFresh. I’m not going to try and punt it or f**k all, I’m not on commission - I’m sure there’s alternative very similar companies.

6 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

The Delia Smith cook book.  Simple recipes which are almost flawless: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Delias-Complete-Cookery-Course-Classic/dp/0563362499

I still cook some of her recipes from memory 30+ years on.

image.gif

2 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

This was the reason I started ordering stuff from HelloFresh. I’m not going to try and punt it or f**k all, I’m not on commission - I’m sure there’s alternative very similar companies.

CHEAT!

Cooking is about using what's there. As someone above said, once you have some basic ingredients just get on with it.

If I could recommend a couple of things that are very very good, but also easy to pick up id go with risotto and carbonara. Simple but mega satisfying done well.

CHEAT!
Cooking is about using what's there. As someone above said, once you have some basic ingredients just get on with it.

Work smart > work hard.
I do add to, and remove from the recipes as I like. I go to the shop I’ll just grab stuff I know how to make or quick and convenient so end up in a rut.