MONKMAN

Could your mates beat the world champions?

17 hours ago, ali_91 said:

That might be the case, in my mind there’s a chance you could swing wildly and luck out 1 time 24 serves. But happy to admit that I don’t actually know how fast the ball would be at me so am probably completely wrong. 

Her fastest serve is just shy of 129mph

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Her fastest serve is just shy of 129mph

Yeah, obviously I’m not expecting to get anywhere near that and I’d be jumping out of the way, but knock 25 mph of that for a second serve and it’s hard to comprehend just how fast that would be at you. I think I’d need to face a couple to understand, numbers don’t mean much. 

On 13/07/2019 at 00:31, Cerberus said:

Guaranteed the 1 in 8 will be fat Brexit enraged Gammons who cannot run at all, Kuro and the OP.

Fat, not in the slightest. 

Brexit, completely against. 

Run, yes a lot and reasonably good at it.  

Could I take a point off Serena Williams at tennis, no.  I doubt I'd get close to returning a single shot.

Do I standby my original post, yes. 

Theres been an awful lot of offence taken at what appears to me to be a standard, topical during the WC, pub/nightshift style question.

44 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Yeah, obviously I’m not expecting to get anywhere near that and I’d be jumping out of the way, but knock 25 mph of that for a second serve and it’s hard to comprehend just how fast that would be at you. I think I’d need to face a couple to understand, numbers don’t mean much. 

I've only played someone who's really good at tennis once and it wasn't just the speed of the serve, the spin meant I'd be thrashing at fresh air nearly every serve. Still think if you're just trying to win one point and smash every serve and return you manage to hit you've got an odds on chance of getting lucky.

10 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I've only played someone who's really good at tennis once and it wasn't just the speed of the serve, the spin meant I'd be thrashing at fresh air nearly every serve. Still think if you're just trying to win one point and smash every serve and return you manage to hit you've got an odds on chance of getting lucky.

What about getting a point, though?

20 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

What about getting a point, though?

I'm barely man enough to score a point off her tbh.

Realistically, you're not going to be winning that point on her serve. My tactic would definitely be just absolutely fucking hammer the ball on every serve with only a passing regard for accuracy and hope one of them was flukey enough to bounce and sclaff off her ankle or something. I wouldn't even bother trying to return her serves, literally just stand there conserving all my energy for blasting the f**k out the ball on my service game.

But if that doesn't work I'd try to lull Serena in to a false sense of security by not even going for her serves til she's just routinely passing the ball over the net for ace after ace...  then, if I hadn't won my point near the end, surprise her by jumping into life on one of her serves, most likely hitting the ball with such fury that it sails over the fence.

I can see three scenarios in which I could take a point off Ms Williams.

1. She's pissed off at having to waste an afternoon on something so farcical as playing me and wants to give up the point as quickly as possible so she can get on with her day.

2. She makes an uncharacteristic blunder such as tripping over her own feet.

3. She's overcome with lust at the sight of me in shorts and loses her concentration.

By luck, maybe. On merit? Not even close.

Id practice the shit out of the Nick Kygrios style shithousery and try to fluke a point that way.

You can generally look at these things as percentages. Serena might be about 85% as good as the top men say (figure plucked from nowehere)

Anyone in the top 1 or 2 hundred men are probably 85% as good as the top men, given that in elite sport 15% is a huge margin.

This makes it easy to forget that she is still 85% as good, and would therefore never surrender a successful return of serve, let alone a point to a wee scrote like me.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Id practice the shit out of the Nick Kygrios style shithousery and try to fluke a point that way.

You can generally look at these things as percentages. Serena might be about 85% as good as the top men say (figure plucked from nowehere)

Anyone in the top 1 or 2 hundred men are probably 85% as good as the top men, given that in elite sport 15% is a huge margin.

This makes it easy to forget that she is still 85% as good, and would therefore never surrender a successful return of serve, let alone a point to a wee scrote like me.

No way is Serena comparable to men ranked between 100 and 200, they'd run her ragged.

It's really a pointless comparison, if people watch enough tennis they will see plenty of decent and exciting women's matches, I've no doubt that women's football can get to a level where astronomical wages are justified.

Edited by ayrmad

On 11/07/2019 at 22:24, Kuro said:

I could name another two internationals actually, if we stretch the definition of friends a little, as well as several youth internationals and a couple of u21s.  

:lol:

You are a massive loser.

On 12/07/2019 at 14:37, The OP said:

It was Paulo Sergio, I just can't remember if Pep and Paolo Sergio are the same person or just of the same species. 

Just remembered, Pep is supras rather than Paolo Sergio. 

On 09/07/2019 at 21:34, throbber said:

Alex Morgan is a better player than Steven Dobbie and more pumpable as well.

Drivel

Not the pumpable bit

On 15/07/2019 at 11:42, The Moonster said:

:lol:

You are a massive loser.

Three internationals, I forgot one.

Any half decent sunday league side would rip that USA womens team apart. All you'd have to do Is put a tough tackle In on them and they wouldn't get back up or go near the ball again plus the goalkeeping standard Is bogging.

4 hours ago, FifeArab said:

Any half decent sunday league side would rip that USA womens team apart. All you'd have to do Is put a tough tackle In on them and they wouldn't get back up or go near the ball again plus the goalkeeping standard Is bogging.

Harsh but true.