Could your mates beat the world champions?

MONKMAN

The whole discussion about what the top level of womens football equates to in levels in mens football is tiresome and nonsensical. The clue is in the name. "WOMEN'S FOOTBALL" - it's a different version of the same game, and one that is still very much in its genesis. I welcome the level of exposure that the womens game has got in recent times if it encourages more females to take up football.

This thread is a fucking embarrassment. You wouldn't find a discussion like this on a forum for any other sport - there's a bit of this around tennis, but to nothing like the same extent. A better question that the one in the opening post is, why are male football fans so uniquely backward? Why is it literally impossible to talk about women's football in real life or online for more than 5 minutes without some piece of gammon saying "ah could pure take hur, so ah could"?

Anyway, the World Cup is over so you can go back to supporting guys who's first touch is so bad that their second touch is usually a tackle, and not trouble yourself with the burdz for another four years.

Not just this thread - the one below it calls it the "Burd's World Cup" and the one below that is about the sexual attractiveness of players and leering over them. No thread discussing who's player of the tournament or anything, just pure phwoaaaar. It'll be much less annoying when those who've wafted into the women's football discussions to air this crap piss off back to their old forums and leave this part of P&B for people who are here to talk about, y'know, football. 

I think many, if not all of us, will agree that women's fooball is of a lesser standard, by no means a rip on it or anything, they have improved dramatically but still falls way short of mens level, 

Ragarding the OP, no i couldnt find a team to beat the US womens team, my old sunday team arent fit enough, skillful enough yes, good enough yes, but undoubtedly fitness levels would come into it and we'd lose, however a well drilled, well trained amateur team at the top level of amateur would likely win every time, once the fitness levels are matched and it comes down to skill and physicality then i cant see the US womens team winning at all

At least the women footballers play by the same rules though, womens grand slam tennis............. 

59 minutes ago, GordonS said:

This thread is a fucking embarrassment. You wouldn't find a discussion like this on a forum for any other sport - there's a bit of this around tennis, but to nothing like the same extent. A better question that the one in the opening post is, why are male football fans so uniquely backward? Why is it literally impossible to talk about women's football in real life or online for more than 5 minutes without some piece of gammon saying "ah could pure take hur, so ah could"?

Anyway, the World Cup is over so you can go back to supporting guys who's first touch is so bad that their second touch is usually a tackle, and not trouble yourself with the burdz for another four years.

Your white-knighting is about as bad as some of the more gammony posts tbh.

Who the f**k knows what discussions happen around other sports? There aren't many sports here where it's popular enough with both men and women that you'd even find enough people to have that discussion. Tennis is probably the only sport where a sizeable enough group of people have seen the mens and womens game and yeah, that discussion has been happening there for decades. So your stuff about male football fans being uniquely backwards looks like an absolute tear-stained, toys out the pram wee rant to be honest.

Not just this thread - the one below it calls it the "Burd's World Cup" and the one below that is about the sexual attractiveness of players and leering over them. No thread discussing who's player of the tournament or anything, just pure phwoaaaar. It'll be much less annoying when those who've wafted into the women's football discussions to air this crap piss off back to their old forums and leave this part of P&B for people who are here to talk about, y'know, football. 
I'm pretty sure if we went onto Mumsnet or whatever, there would be plenty of leering over male sports stars as well.

I know that there have been plenty of studies done on whether an under 15s team would beat a women's team or whether a Juniors team would beat a women's team but has anyone ever done a study on whether an under 15s professional team would beat a Juniors team? People have a right to know. 

44 minutes ago, Blootoon87 said:
2 hours ago, GordonS said:

I'm pretty sure if we went onto Mumsnet or whatever, there would be plenty of leering over male sports stars as well.

Or go to a forum for women's football in the US, you'll find plenty women fans leering over the women players and discussing their sexual attractiveness.

3 hours ago, Blootoon87 said:

There are some (by some I mean 2) Dumbarton fans who literally stalk ex-players that they find attractive and are their "favourites". Sometimes even missing Dumbarton games to go and "support" these lads playing for their new teams.

Did the OP watch any of the games?  

Your pals wouldn't even get within a foot of the ball.

Like the old saying, you play the game in the head.  Have watched many an amateur game and they all follow the ball.  The US ladies don't.

Edited by tirso

4 hours ago, tirso said:

Have watched many an amateur game and they all follow the ball.  The US ladies don't.

That's just as much a generalisation as questioning the standard of women's football.

I'm sure the likes of Colville Park, Hurlford etc would tell you different.

One of the best, technically gifted players players I ever played against is a CB for a ladies team...also one of the hardest! I was playing a lot of rugby at the time and she cleaned me out a few times (pishing herself laughing!), her mate was just as good one the ball, if not better, but didn’t quite make it... not enough money and a bit lightweight was her only downfall.

Our coach at U-17’s daughter used to train with us now and again... she was a year younger and made us all look like idiots with her skill, plus she would 50/50 her granny to get the ball... as a lot of us found out the hard way! My ankle still isn’t right to this day 

Edited by Spyro

10 hours ago, GordonS said:

, y'know, football. 

Why would they be on this forum then? 

7 hours ago, The OP said:

I know that there have been plenty of studies done on whether an under 15s team would beat a women's team or whether a Juniors team would beat a women's team but has anyone ever done a study on whether an under 15s professional team would beat a Juniors team? People have a right to know. 

Much like the women's team I think physicality would play a massive part, I wasn't quite pro youth but played for one of the better sides below that level, every season we'd play a couple of pro youth sides from the age group below and we'd win in what was usually a tight game upto we were 19 and playing 17s, then they were closer physically and skelped us. 

We also once played Dunfermline the year they got to the youth Cup final at hampden, I think we were 12-0 down at half time. Brutal. 

10 hours ago, The OP said:

Given how shite the "colt" teams generally do in the Challenge Cup I'd expect u15s to get pumped by most Junior sides.

Edited by welshbairn