Could your mates beat the world champions?

MONKMAN

6 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Guaranteed the 1 in 8 will be fat Brexit enraged Gammons who cannot run at all, Kuro and the OP.

I'd fancy it, she just needs to double fault and that's you.  

8 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

I'd fancy it, she just needs to double fault and that's you.  

Me too, one smash it as hard as I can first serve would be bound to go in, and she'd have no better idea than me where it was headed. Maybe ten years ago anyway.

13 hours ago, ali_91 said:

Would need to catch a return sweet as a nut on a second serve, would give myself a 20% chance of getting a point. She wouldn’t double fault against me, she’d play 50% with no unforced errors if the challenge was to not concede a point. 

There's absolutely no chance any of us - apart from Pep, obviously - would be able to return even her second serve.  The only possible chance would a complete sclaff that barely scrapes over the net.

1 minute ago, ali_91 said:

That might be the case, in my mind there’s a chance you could swing wildly and luck out 1 time 24 serves. But happy to admit that I don’t actually know how fast the ball would be at me so am probably completely wrong. 

It's obviously a hypothetical, but I'd say returning a serve in professional tennis, along with hitting a home run in baseball, would be one of the hardest single scoring moves in sport.  Anyone could play for Barcelona and would score a goal eventually.   

Just now, This time Perthshirebell said:

Reactionary/ countering moves like you talk about are of course far more achievable than the a world record high jump or the longest drive at golf.   

Read what I wrote again.  I'm not talking about world records.

Never quite sure what the end point is with some of these arguments. Is it that women should just give up because men tend to be physically stronger than women, or that testosterone just doesn't get enough goddamned respect from the wooly-headed liberal media...?  :unsure:

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

She'd get disqualified for pishing herself, if she played me. I couldn't hit a coo on the  arse with a surf board.

Incredibly sexist to presume you win.  

3 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Never quite sure what the end point is with some of these arguments. Is it that women should just give up because men tend to be physically stronger than women, or that testosterone just doesn't get enough goddamned respect from the wooly-headed liberal media...?  :unsure:

Both probably. It's the kind of outrage you used to get from women joining golf clubs, and maybe playing better than some of the ranking members. Very weird, you don't hear any of it about hockey or athletics, the Women's World Cup getting big viewing figures has clearly exposed some deep insecurities amongst some Sunday league and 5's players.

Guaranteed the 1 in 8 will be fat Brexit enraged Gammons who cannot run at all, Kuro and the OP.

It’s an odd stat to quote without context IMO. The study could of been conducted far better to judge how joe public felt on their chances vs pro players male and female. To restrict it to just men and just Serena williams is poor journalism and completely unscientific. A game would also be a better judgement of how many yer da’s think they can dismiss her on her gender.

It is also completely dependent on context, does the pro know I’m just a jobber picking up a racket for the first time in years? If the answer is no then I’d back myself to get a point off of any pro, it’s only 1 point, the WTA average is about 5% double faults, and Murray double faults every 5 service games. So you have pretty good odds regardless of how shit you are. You can also possibly get a chance on serve with a shit underhand effort that the just don’t play against.

If they play giving themselves huge margin of error with every shot cos they know you’ll f**k up pretty quickly as long as they hit the ball jn then your chances become a lot harder.

17 hours ago, ali_91 said:

That might be the case, in my mind there’s a chance you could swing wildly and luck out 1 time 24 serves. But happy to admit that I don’t actually know how fast the ball would be at me so am probably completely wrong. 

Her fastest serve is just shy of 129mph

On 13/07/2019 at 00:31, Cerberus said:

Fat, not in the slightest. 

Brexit, completely against. 

Run, yes a lot and reasonably good at it.  

Could I take a point off Serena Williams at tennis, no.  I doubt I'd get close to returning a single shot.

Do I standby my original post, yes. 

44 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Yeah, obviously I’m not expecting to get anywhere near that and I’d be jumping out of the way, but knock 25 mph of that for a second serve and it’s hard to comprehend just how fast that would be at you. I think I’d need to face a couple to understand, numbers don’t mean much. 

I've only played someone who's really good at tennis once and it wasn't just the speed of the serve, the spin meant I'd be thrashing at fresh air nearly every serve. Still think if you're just trying to win one point and smash every serve and return you manage to hit you've got an odds on chance of getting lucky.

10 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I've only played someone who's really good at tennis once and it wasn't just the speed of the serve, the spin meant I'd be thrashing at fresh air nearly every serve. Still think if you're just trying to win one point and smash every serve and return you manage to hit you've got an odds on chance of getting lucky.

What about getting a point, though?

Realistically, you're not going to be winning that point on her serve. My tactic would definitely be just absolutely fucking hammer the ball on every serve with only a passing regard for accuracy and hope one of them was flukey enough to bounce and sclaff off her ankle or something. I wouldn't even bother trying to return her serves, literally just stand there conserving all my energy for blasting the f**k out the ball on my service game.

But if that doesn't work I'd try to lull Serena in to a false sense of security by not even going for her serves til she's just routinely passing the ball over the net for ace after ace...  then, if I hadn't won my point near the end, surprise her by jumping into life on one of her serves, most likely hitting the ball with such fury that it sails over the fence.