Could your mates beat the world champions?

MONKMAN

1 hour ago, Ross. said:

I think there are some grounds for complaint, but largely agree that they are making an issue of something that they don't have a great deal of right in complaining about. The US womens team definitely have the strongest argument in that respect. Mostly though, the mens game generates far more revenue and that follows through in terms of wages and prize money, which is how it should be.

To be fair, there aren't many complaints around this subject from non-Americans.

3 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

It'd be interesting to see how a random bunch of guys would get on against Thailand tbf.

Very much a case of Men against (Lady)Boys.

3 minutes ago, Marten said:

To be fair, there aren't many complaints around this subject from non-Americans.

So far there haven't been, but I would expect in England over the next few years it will be a growing argument also.

13 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

It'd be interesting to see how a random bunch of guys would get on against Thailand tbf.

Did a non-league Scottish side not beat a diddy nation in a friendly a decade or so ago?

Read something over the weekend that pointed out the women actually get a higher percentage of revenue as prize money from the World Cup - something like 13% compared to the 9% the men got from 2018. (Not sure how accurate those numbers are as it's from memory)
It was 9% in 2010 and less than 7% in Russia according to ForbesIMG_20190708_142022.jpg

Just now, Savage Henry said:

I really hope Rapinoe broke that boy's leg.  He seems far too full of himself.

They make out it was a proper 90 minutes, pretty sure it was just a kick around for the cameras.

21 hours ago, CountyFan said:

The state of that OP 😂

20 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

Fucking hell 😂

3 hours ago, Gaz said:

The absolute state of that OP though

This really needs repeating.  The patriarchy is fairly threatened by women not being hopeless at something.

15 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

Getting yourself into a state over women's football is a major gammon identifier, imo. I give you the below as a shining example. 

64661721_2487386554615490_934021164857032704_n.jpg.bc9517853dc3e5604f0ee3af70668cc7.jpg

Why is his name blacked out?  Sending a letter to a newspaper espousing absolute twaddle does not merit anonymity; though I'm guessing the address is 12 Ruel Street, Glasgow.

Edited by Savage Henry

I find the continual comparison utterly bizarre and a little sad.

For what it's worth I play junior football and think the US womens team look far more comfortable on the ball than my peers. That being said I think a few of the guys would just be much faster etc and set pieces would be tough for them.

Ultimately though its pretty pointless, pretty disrespectful and is just an attempt to degrade something which sorely needs respect rather than mockery. I really enjoyed the tournament and have decided to make a concerted effort to try and support women's football more than I currently do.

8 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Why is his name blacked out?  Sending a letter to a newspaper espousing absolute twaddle does not merit anonymity; though I'm guessing the address is 12 Ruel Street, Glasgow.

The height of the goals haven't changed since the average height was 5'8", so they're better designed for today's women than men. I'm assuming that letter wasn't meant entirely seriously, and was written by @Day of the Lords .

back in the early 1990s, we had a football team made up of guys in the neighbourhood. We had a name but it was totally unoffical and we'd just meet other teams from the estates down the park and play each other in random friendlies.  Sometimes teams it would be 11-a-side, other times just whoever each team had available.   No leage, just random games for bragging rights.

However there was a local Ladies team who didn't have league so they asked if we'd get a team together and play them. We all thought it was a bit of a joke but when we played them they hammered us.   We were about 4-0 down after about 20 minutes, adn by the time we got our act together it was too late.

So  my answer is no to this question.  Lesson was learned.

On 07/07/2019 at 17:53, MONKMAN said:

There is obviously boys here that have played at a decent level and will have friends who have, or still play football at various levels from English/Scottish Leagues, Juniors, Highland and Lowland Leagues.  

I don't have the qualitative evidence to back up my assessment (yet) but I would make a bold assertion that a significant number of people will offer that they "played to a decent level" at least once a day when talking about football. A high proportion of those will be taxi-drivers. 

On a roughly related note I know a guy from Dalry (Ayrshire not Edinburgh) who drank in a pub next door to an Indian takeaway.

Through a bit of drunken bravado they challenged the guys from the takeaway to a cricket match and took the view of "how hard can it be".  They turned up without the required pads and the Indian guys didn't give them a light hearted game and they had to walk off after a few...............ends?  

Dick Campbell could assemble a squad of junior jobbers that could shitfest any women’s team.

I think they are as good on the ball as any men’s side though. It’s a different game and shouldn’t be compared to the men’s game.

43 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Dick Campbell could assemble a squad of junior jobbers that could shitfest any women’s team.

I think they are as good on the ball as any men’s side though. It’s a different game and shouldn’t be compared to the men’s game.

Aye a top level amateur or a reasonably good junior team would have won the womens world cup.

2 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

I don't have the qualitative evidence to back up my assessment (yet) but I would make a bold assertion that a significant number of people will offer that they "played to a decent level" at least once a day when talking about football. A high proportion of those will be taxi-drivers. 

I would make such a claim myself. Just as long as nobody pushed me too hard on the definition of 'decent.' I was better than my older sister for example. My middle sister though; she was kinda scrappy.