Could your mates beat the world champions?

MONKMAN

A topic as simple as the title would suggest.

Prior to the start of today's final, the boys at work were discussing the general standard of women's football. There is clearly a significant gulf between the men and women's game, but how much is it really?  One of the boys mentioned how the USA, ranked number 1 in the world, were easily beaten by Dallas U15's boys team and Australia faced a similar result against Newcastle U15's, a quick google confirms this. 

There is obviously boys here that have played at a decent level and will have friends who have, or still play football at various levels from English/Scottish Leagues, Juniors, Highland and Lowland Leagues.  

I was laughed at by one colleague for suggesting I could assemble a team of friends that would beat the world champions.

My question is; Do you think you could assemble a starting 11 team from friends or people you know on a personal level (neighbour, school classmate, friend of a friend etc) , that would beat the beat the women's world cup winners?

I'm am going to say yes, I think I could.  

6 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

A topic as simple as the title would suggest.

Prior to the start of today's final, the boys at work were discussing the general standard of women's football. There is clearly a significant gulf between the men and women's game, but how much is it really?  One of the boys mentioned how the USA, ranked number 1 in the world, were easily beaten by Dallas U15's boys team and Australia faced a similar result against Newcastle U15's, a quick google confirms this. 

There is obviously boys here that have played at a decent level and will have friends who have, or still play football at various levels from English/Scottish Leagues, Juniors, Highland and Lowland Leagues.  

I was laughed at by one colleague for suggesting I could assemble a team of friends that would beat the world champions.

My question is; Do you think you could assemble a starting 11 team from friends or people you know on a personal level (neighbour, school classmate, friend of a friend etc) , that would beat the beat the women's world cup winners?

I'm am going to say yes, I think I could.  

Wtf is this. Have a look at those games against boys, the women don't even looked puffed out and the boys are sweating buckets. No chance 11 punters could beat the world cup champions

No. 

Occasionally used to play fives with one of the girls in the Scotland ladies team because her dad played with us regularly and she'd come along if we were short. 

Quite a few of the lads were very decent amateur players but we couldn't get near her without fouling her. The US women are clearly miles better than that too. 

I can easily believe that a low level mens professional or semi professional team could beat the USA but the idea a bunch of random blokes could is nonsense. 

12 minutes ago, Uncle Psychosis said:

No. 

Occasionally used to play fives with one of the girls in the Scotland ladies team because her dad played with us regularly and she'd come along if we were short. 

Quite a few of the lads were very decent amateur players but we couldn't get near her without fouling her. The US women are clearly miles better than that too. 

I can easily believe that a low level mens professional or semi professional team could beat the USA but the idea a bunch of random blokes could is nonsense. 

This.

Wtf is this. Have a look at those games against boys, the women don't even looked puffed out and the boys are sweating buckets. No chance 11 punters could beat the world cup champions
The USA women's football team were convincingly beaten by a team of adolescents in a embarrassing defeat for the world champions.
They were roundly outplayed, losing 5-2 against FC Dallas Under-15s academy side who took full advantage of their big day. 

Manchester United women beaten 9-0 by Salford youth team

Australia’s women’s football team are ranked the fifth best side in world football. So how did they lose 7-0 to a collection of 15-year-old boys?
“To be honest we didn't expect that,” he told The Huffington Post.
“But the Jets boys were very good. All credit to them. They moved the ball around very well and were excellent on the night.

I'm not gonna look at the games but google brought up these first 3 games.

Under 15s.....

Hopefully the Mumsnetters at the Daily Record aren't still hanging around here...

"Notorious Scottish football website Pie & Bovril caused controversy again yesterday, after a prominent Queen of the South poster started a popular discussion about beating women, including beloved tennis legend Serena Williams and a variety of top American soccer stars".

13 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

The USA women's football team were convincingly beaten by a team of adolescents in a embarrassing defeat for the world champions.
They were roundly outplayed, losing 5-2 against FC Dallas Under-15s academy side who took full advantage of their big day. 

Manchester United women beaten 9-0 by Salford youth team

Australia’s women’s football team are ranked the fifth best side in world football. So how did they lose 7-0 to a collection of 15-year-old boys?
“To be honest we didn't expect that,” he told The Huffington Post.
“But the Jets boys were very good. All credit to them. They moved the ball around very well and were excellent on the night.

I'm not gonna look at the games but google brought up these first 3 games.

Under 15s.....

You say Manchester United women as if they are very good that was one of their first ever games and entered as one of the lowest ranked teams in England, I would wager that the coaching and pay is better at Salford than it is for Man United.

The Australian team like you say was pretty decent in terms of women's football at the time however many of those players were semi pro and the teenagers they played against were pro.

I don't think many posters will either have the energy or talent of professional15 year old boys and would get utterly pumped by the USA woman's team.

17 minutes ago, ex-german exile said:

Why can't we accept top class women's football (soccer if you must) for what it is?
We don't slag off the women's 100m final at the Olympic Games as not being comparable to the men's, so why do it with football?

Exactly. Although just as an aside, I worked in a school where we had a 5's game in the gym on a Friday after school. We had a woman who played for one of the Edinburgh sides, Hutchie Vale I think. Her skill was brilliant and had us all falling on our arses. But in the summer, she played for our staff team outside on grass, full pitch,  and she struggled with the pace and the stamina.