shopping in the high street

Ylf

13 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

If it was any good people would use it plus there’s so many random couriers and they are good and bad. When you order something online you should have the option of a delivery date and time or delivery to a pickup point. 

Current setup.

Bad

Royal Mail

Buy a toaster from eBay . When is it coming. f**k knows. Get an email the day before it gets posted. It’s coming tomorrow. From who? No idea when will it be there. Dunno. Wasted journey for delivery driver, rearrange delivery. It’s arriving on Saturday now. Had to pay extra, when will it arrive. Dunno. Etc etc

Good

Use a company that uses DPD and you select when it will arrive to the hour and track it to the actual delivery. 

Who do I order from next time? Royal Mail can do one. They’re miles behind DPD and Hermes. Companies should tell you the courier is on their sites and explain the delivery process. Russian roulette Royal Mail post service is a joke. 

Hasn't been fucked over by Hermes just yet. Only a matter of time though. 

"Of course it was delivered sir, we have a signature" 

Falkirk High Street is an absolute dive and bizarrely there are hundreds of people who claim that all that needs to happen is for Primark to open and it will be saved.

They completely ignore the high probability that Primark would have no intention of opening a shop in a dead town.

Royal Mail's substantially cheaper than the courier companies for anything under 2kg, lads, and it's partially because you essentially chuck it in to a Post Office and hear nothing about it until it gets to the other end. If you want guaranteed delivery times and tracking, you pay for it. They'll even give you those options in exchange for extra cash and IME they're a damn sight more reliable than Hermes. Try comparing the list of items you're insured to send with the Royal Mail and the couriers too.

Parcelforce can GTF, though. I presume they must do some great bulk deals for businesses to turn a profit, because they're always more expensive than any other courier company. Presumably their exclusivity deal with the Post Office for heavy/bulky packages keeps them afloat. I can't count the number of times I sold someone shipping with Parcelforce and had to bite my lip about how virtually any of the other courier firms would do the same service for about a quarter of the price.

I used to get my coffee, cheese, fish and meat from the independent shops in Dundee city centre but I really don't have any reason to be in the town any more and I'm not going in specially for that. Have had 50 quid of Overgate vouchers since August - f**k knows what i would spend them on. Maybe Debenhams for shoes and some shirts or something but again, I'm not going to put time aside to drive there and to pay to park and go in specially for that.

I do go into town but after the shops are shut to drink and eat and and patronise the arts.

5 hours ago, Ylf said:

never had any bother in manifesto. buy most of my clothes online but use manifesto on an occasion. grossetts emoji122.pngemoji106.png. my favourite butcher is mcdonald’s in lochee high street and the perth road one. need to try the chilli sauce and pakora though emoji106.png

I work in the city centre but hardly ever shop there unless I have to.  McDonald's in Lochee for pork sausages and Robertson's on Strathmartine Road for steak pie.

I work in the city centre but hardly ever shop there unless I have to.  McDonald's in Lochee for pork sausages and Robertson's on Strathmartine Road for steak pie.

yorkes or thomson’s on the strathie? robertson’s??

12 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I can't count the number of times I sold someone shipping with Parcelforce and had to bite my lip about how virtually any of the other courier firms would do the same service for about a quarter of the price.

The reverse is true if you have a Highlands postcode. Tried to order £20 worth of coffee from the Eden Project in Cornwall and they wanted £27 to deliver it. Strangely delivering to the arse end of nowhere in Cornwall from elsewhere in the UK attracts no surcharge from couriers.

29 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The reverse is true if you have a Highlands postcode.

In so many ways, amirite? HIYO!

(I don't even know if that makes any sense)

Just now, NotThePars said:

Mate you’re standing in front of Currys and passers by are concerned.

Does Currys still exist?

Brighthouse would probably work better, they seem to be everywhere - I've been wanking in front of the tellies in Brighthouse. Glad to help, you almost made yourself look silly there.

18 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

You hear a lot of folk complaining that there's nothing on the high street that they're interested in anymore, but exactly what kind of shops are people referring to? Woolworths, BHS, C&A? Genuinely curious.

I guess I miss looking round some of the independent entertainment-based shops you used to get dotted about most towns, but that's only until I remember how much more variety and choice there is online. Other than that, shopping was a chore. At least you can do it in your pants in front of the telly these days.

Image result for kenneth williams

17 hours ago, Dele said:

Certainly can't argue with that at the Wellgate side. Walked through the Murraygate the other week. Grim. 

Manifesto is a shit hole. Overpriced and occasionally pre-worn and returned to the hanger clothing. No thanks. 

Gazeleys is brae. The chilli sauce and pakora. :wub:

Grossetts for most of the butcher needs. 

Is it up a hill?

14 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Future will be giant warehouses stocking stuff delivered from other even bigger warehouses.

High streets will be flats and cafes etc. Perhaps big cities can justify actual shops maybe? 

I think there’s a massive gap in the market for having a hub for all distributors in population hotspots. Giant warehouse that Amazon, DPD, Royal Mail, eBay etc all deliver to for a small charge and hold your items. This would be a secondary option if you’re not in and can select this option. You turn up and have a locker and simply get your goods when it suits 24\7. I reckon you would clean up with this if you had the capital to invest.

It would need to be some size of a locker to store a three piece suite...

14 hours ago, Gaz said:

Falkirk High Street is an absolute dive and bizarrely there are hundreds of people who claim that all that needs to happen is for Primark to open and it will be saved.

They completely ignore the high probability that Primark would have no intention of opening a shop in a dead town.

I do love when FB goes all baws oot for a Primark in Falkirk.

Why would a shop selling cheap clothes be the saviour of Falkirk?

Why would Primark want to come to Falkirk?

If Primark came to Falkirk surely it would open in the retail park and not the high street.

8 hours ago, oaksoft said:

One of the major problems for town centres is that the opening hours for the shops have largely not changed in at least a century.

Shops can complain all they like about footfall but when they collectively open after everyone is at work and then close before anyone gets home from work you have to question their sanity.

Shops don't seem to have realised that women no longer stay at home when their husbands are working.  For about the last 30 years, there is therefore no meaningful footfall during the weekdays meaning the retail industry largely relies on Saturday shopping to stay alive.

I will never understand why shops and cafes don't routinely stay open until 10pm on weekdays.

I've said much the same about the FFC opening hours.

Basically your short opening hours are when I'm at work.

2 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Does Currys still exist?

Brighthouse would probably work better, they seem to be everywhere - I've been wanking in front of the tellies in Brighthouse. Glad to help, you almost made yourself look silly there.

I panicked when trying to remember what the big chains were. I think Currys merged with PC World as there's one in Finnieston.

2 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

I've said much the same about the FFC opening hours.

Basically your short opening hours are when I'm at work.

True...but would the shop staff want to work the hours you don't?  

Basically, the high street model only worked when we had no choice, as retail parks developed the high street began to struggle and then came online shopping to hammer in the final nail.  I doubt that opening hours will save the high street now.  

17 hours ago, Gaz said:

One of the things I enjoy about social media is seeing simpletons demand that "they" open a particular shop or better yet, "bring back" a long defunct business. The FB page for my home town is full of mutants who are convinced this is something for which the (lazy) council is responsible.

A really depressing thing, and undoubtedly one of the reasons fewer are heading into down, is when you go to almost any high street and see that it is pretty much identical in content to any other characterless shite town:  Superdrug, Clintons, Argos, Poundland, William Hill, British Heart Foundation, H Samuel, Farmfoods and a soon to be shut down bank branch. 

The only way you'll get folk heading in is if you have a number quirky independent shops that can offer decent advice that you can't get online (well, other than P&B of course).  As a sweeping generalisation built from from experience, unless you're speaking to the owner, you'll probably have 'Sunday girl' that won't give a f*** and /or have much in the way of knowledge.  There are exceptions of course who do actually care, but they seem to be few and far between.