18 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Folk paying to watch friendly matches need watched tbh.

Nah, can't agree. 9 weeks away from football, the Sons have had the summer from complete hell and look an absolute shambles at the minute, bringing in around 10 trialists from a Nigerian Youth Academy and re-signing Kyle Hutton, but I can't fucking wait to get down to the ground tonight to watch a wee game. I enjoy football, if that makes me for the watching then watch away!

18 hours ago, Muzza81 said:

Man United are regularly sending their first team to play lower league SPFL sides, of course. You are most welcome though.

I’m going back 10 years or so but Man Utd sent an incredible squad up to play Clyde.

I’m going back 10 years or so but Man Utd sent an incredible squad up to play Clyde.

Van Der Sar, Pique, Scholes, Rooney, Giggs, Van Nistelrooy and Ferdinand all played.

When they played us at Somerset they sent a reserve side but it still had guys like Pogba, Drinkwater, Gibson and Lingard in it.

We've played both a Man Utd XI (for Scott Thomson's testimonial) in 2007 and a Man Utd Under-23 side in 2010. The teams that faced us were:

Man Utd XI:

Tomasz Kuszczak; Phil Bardsley, Mikael Sylvestre, Wes Brown (Adam Eckersley HT), Gerard Pique, Chris Eagles, Darren Fletcher, Paul Scholes, Wayne Rooney, Owen Hargreaves (Sean Evans 65), Ryan Giggs (Magnus Eikrem 79)
SUBS NOT USED: Edwin van der Sar
SCORERS: Eagles (23), Giggs (36), Rooney (65 pen. 88)

The reason it was billed as a Man Utd XI btw was that they also had another team playing that night in Ireland somewhere, which had fewer stars but did have Ronaldo. Our game was shown live on MUTV too. The crowd was about 11,000 if I mind right, it was a near sell-out.

Man Utd Under-23:

Conor Devlin (Sam Johnstone HT); Scott Wootton, Joe Dudgeon (Ezekiel Fryers 63), James Chester (Ryan Tunnicliffe 64), Oliver Gill, Rodrigo Possebon, Oliver Norwood, (Cameron Stewart HT), Ravel Morrison (Robert Brady HT), Joshua King (William Keane HT), Magnus Eikrem ©, Nicholas Ajose (Jesse Lindgard 64). 
YELLOW CARD: Wootton (19)

SCORERS: King (1, 16), Ajose (11), Possebon (34), Keane (85)

Not too many recognisable names I guess although Joshua King has went on to have a good career (his second goal was a superb free kick IIRC), and Lingaard is obviously seen as a key man for them now and for England. Fryers played somewhere I'm sure and Morrison is the classic "one that got away". The crowd was only about 2,500 as people obviously knew it was going to be a bunch of kids, but they were still light years ahead of us at the time in terms of technique, ball striking and pace.