Eve Online

KillieMogwai

Looking for a new game, and I fancy a bit of spaceshippy RPG action, with dogfights and exploration and trading and the ability to upgrade your ship.

Been thinking for a while about trying Eve Online, but it looks incredibly tough to get into. Also considered Elite Dangerous, but been told a lot of the game is spent travelling.

Anyone got any info about these games or other suggestions?

17 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

I wouldn't start eve now, the game's been sold to the guys who make black desert online and it'll just be used as a cash cow as that one is too. I played Eve a lot before giving it up as doing anything eats up so much of your time. Also the way it's developed your only viable play styles are hard core grinding for money, or hard core massive fleet battles, which is nothing like as fun as people might imagine.

It had a golden age around 2012 where you could have a lot of fun flying with 10 people, and the optimal loadouts for different ships hadn't been figured out by everyone so if you had a few friends who were good at choosing loadouts and good at piloting, you could take on 50 idiots and win. Nowadays most new players get funneled into one of the major coalitions who give them free ships loaded out exactly as needed and you're just flying about shooting the target the fleet commander tells you to. Massive fleets cause a huge amount of lag, so they get around this by slowing down time by up to 90% in game, which means 15 minutes of normal speed combat takes 2 and a half hours and feels like you're flying through treacle.

The main issue is the game has made it so the only logical thing to do to maximise your income is to go down the path of joining one of these groups and doing vast amounts of mining with huge mining ships, which initially drove interesting content if you could scout out and pin one down and kill it with friends, but because these guys have been doing this so intensively they all have enough money to have their own alternate accounts with supercarriers that they can just log in and drop on your head and you have to disengage. Also huge swathes of space is occupied by nothing but bots who warp off and cloak the moment you enter a system.

It used to feel vibrant and chaotic and the buzz of combat is like nothing I've experienced in another game, but it was getting too rare you'd actually experience it. If you do go into it be aware it's not really a dogfighting game, you point in space with your mouse where you want to go and double click and the ship moves there.

I don't know much about Elite, I played it a bit but it never hooked me in, mostly because it's not really an mmo, I'd hardly ever see a real person and when I did they wouldn't interact with me.

Thanks for that - I might still give it a go, but I'll have a look at some other options too.

I had a look into Everspace, but the guy I watch play it on twitch just made it look like a boring grind.

X4 has got poor reviews on steam, too.

I've still to do a bit of research into Elite: Dangerous, but it might be the best option.

I played Eve for a year, circa 2009-10.  It was great fun being in a corporation of around 20 of us.

I mostly played the markets, making enough income in-game to pay for my monthly sub and more, but went on the occasional raid in between hauling stuff across the system for the corp.  The corp I was in used to go out on raids to spar against people, but we (they) ended up getting into corporate espionage and sabotage.  The thrill of the heist was incomparable to anything else I've experience in computer games. 

It wasn't anywhere that dramatic most days but I still enjoyed it a lot.  I was at a point in life where I wanted to be antisocial and sink myself into something.  It's a huge timesink, as with most MMOs I guess.  I generally don't see the appeal of MMOs but this hooked me because of how organic the politics worked with all of the corps existing within the one persistent universe.  I looked at getting back into it, but learning the systems is a steep learning curve (helluva steep!), which I couldn't be bothered scaling again.

Edited by bunglebonce