19-20 Predictions

surely not!

Well lot's of very different views on how the league will pan out.

But that's what we want, and I think we will get, a season of intrigue and unpredictability.

Who know's the student team's to unravel gem's to keep them competitive.

The 'Big' teams to power on, or maybe not.

What price 'Fergie' at Kelty bites the dust before Christmas, ok maybe not then but Easter anyway, lol.

Spartans have missed the boat as to promotion to the SPFL,  maybe not always seem to recruit well.

The favourites, East kilbride, these days go about their business much quietly, almost paid off last season.

Don't be fooled this years Highland League Champions won't be as intent on promotion to the League, 

EK and such like take note. 

Cove Rangers last year were determined to get promotion, other teams in highland League lack the ambition

Winner will come from EK BSC Shire or Kelty. 

Bonnyrigg and Berwick will get decent results but dont have the experience of what the LL is like as are in unknown territory. Lots of coupon busting results in this league.

Spartans it looks like might struggle due to losing players wi silly money being thrown around. 

Gretna or Dalbeattie might go doon but will immediately bounce back into the play offs by winning the  SOSFL by a record number of points the following season due to the weakness of that league unless it all changes of course but I wont hold my breath. 

Gala and I've a feeling Edinburgh Uni might also struggle near the bottom. 

Best of luck for the season ahead. 

8 minutes ago, johnmc80 said:

Good to see you back in your old stomping ground newky. All the best to yous for the season ahead.

Thanks John would fancy our chances of being well clear of relegation in this league this season but it's not to be. 

Good times ahead though I'd expect  wi some higher 3 figure crowds and derbies. 

Best of luck to your team, this might just be your year, after all yous are the only side with course and distance form and that  experience could be key when May comes round. 

Thanks John would fancy our chances of being well clear of relegation in this league this season but it's not to be. 
Good times ahead though I'd expect  wi some higher 3 figure crowds and derbies. 
Best of luck to your team, this might just be your year, after all yous are the only side with course and distance form and that  experience could be key when May comes round. 

Yous had a good result against the braves i see at the weekend. Hopefully yous can push a bit higher than having to worry about being down anywhere near relegation places. I’ll still be looking out for your results.
As for our chances. Im still confident. Big turn over of players is my only worry but they seem to be bedding in well. But its a strong league again this year. Especially at the top end. Calling out a top 6 is a chore when you see the team names in front of you. Alot of teams invested well. Going to be very tight. But as ever im looking forward to it.

Gretna's pre-season hasn't been great, wouldn't mind seeing them fall away to the abyss. As long as Gala stay well away from the bottom, what an away day that is! Dalbeattie have recruited well, remains to be seen whether they are gonna take points off the teams surrounding them instead of leaving it down to taking points off the bigger teams in the latter stages of the season. Third game of the season against Gala may set the tone for the season considering the first two are against Kelty and EK 😒

Think it's about time LL winners go straight up to L2.

Always thought it would make more sense if the team bottom of League 2 were automatically relegated. Then the HL and LL winners played each other for direct promotion with the loser playing second bottom of League 2 for another chance of promotion .

3 hours ago, Shirey Pirey said:

Always thought it would make more sense if the team bottom of League 2 were automatically relegated. Then the HL and LL winners played each other for direct promotion with the loser playing second bottom of League 2 for another chance of promotion .

HL president agrees https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/1806037/cardno-ready-to-reconstruct-the-pyramid/

Highland League president Raymond Cardno is aiming to change the current pyramid play-off rules so that the club finishing bottom of League 2 is automatically relegated.

As it stands, the side that finishes bottom of the SPFL goes through a pyramid play-off against the winner of a similar Highland League-Lowland League play-off. Cove Rangers got through a two-leg tie against East Kilbride before seeing off Berwick Rangers over two legs.

Cardno said: “If we are able to achieve that particular scenario then it makes the move up the leagues a good bit easier. There would be just one opponent to get past, not two as at present. In every other league I know, the bottom team is automatically relegated. The Highland League is obviously still pushing for that and I think the Lowland League is.

“I still have two years to serve a president and my ambition would be to achieve that goal before I stand down.”

Cardno also has no qualms about having 17 teams competing for this season’s title.

Back-to-back champions Cove created history as the first Highland League club to be promoted to SPFL League 2 by way of the pyramid system.

Cardno, who is also vice-president of Buckie Thistle, said: “I suppose it isn’t ideal that teams will have a break without a game in two weekends during the season. That was a decision which the whole league voted for, we will move forward with it and allow the natural process of things to take shape.

“We will wait and see how things pan out but you never know when we may have to accommodate a club coming down through the pyramid, as the Lowland League have just done with Berwick.

“We would be required to admit a team dropping down from SPFL however unlikely that may be.

“Conversely, if we had another member club follow in Cove Rangers’ footsteps by gaining promotion through the pyramid play-offs, that’s a natural progression where we could find ourselves with just 16 clubs. I think Highland League clubs are now beginning to get to grips with the whole play-off scenario.”

• 4 months later...

Bump.

Second half of LL season begins this Saturday - albeit 8 cancelled/postponed sees a few clubs on 13 or 14 instead of 15 games.

Realistically it seems there are 4 contenders in the shape of Kelty and Bonnyrigg plus East Stirlingshire (played a couple of games more) and BSCG (couple of points back). It would take huge efforts from CSS or Spartans to reenter the battle.

L.JPG.29673b84116ead135fbdaeb037501c55.JPG

Harder to get a firm sense in HL who reached halfway on Nov 9th (16 over 17 dates), and now also have 15 rounds left notionally. They've currently 32 outstanding and clubs have played anything from 10 to 18 games.

Looking likely Brora, Inverurie and Fraserburgh will duel for title although Buckie, Rothes, Nairn and Formartine are all within striking distance courtesy games-in-hand.

H.JPG.0f2593a890251a3fbc3b3b7d875182df.JPG

Edited by HibeeJibee

Second half of the season is shaping up to be a cracker. Over the festive period we have Shire, Spartans and Bonnyrigg. Kelty are going well albeit they haven't faced us or Bonnyrigg yet.

East Stirlingshire fans are obviously disappointed losing to Spartans, but with guys like Dishington and Low in your team your always going to be in with a shout.

Add to that I think we'll  see a resurgence of East Kilbride, especially if they continue under the stewardship of Dean Shanks.

I also think we'll see Berwick Rangers find their feet and start to turn in the results they need to finish mid table come the end of the season.

As for my own team BSC. Theyve already delivered as far as I'm concerned  with that comeback win over East Fife. We are playing some really good football right now and the teams with title ambitions will be looking at us as the team to beat. (Even if they won't admit it).

2 hours ago, Jerry Macguire said:

Second half of the season is shaping up to be a cracker. Over the festive period we have Shire, Spartans and Bonnyrigg. Kelty are going well albeit they haven't faced us or Bonnyrigg yet.

East Stirlingshire fans are obviously disappointed losing to Spartans, but with guys like Dishington and Low in your team your always going to be in with a shout.

Add to that I think we'll  see a resurgence of East Kilbride, especially if they continue under the stewardship of Dean Shanks.

I also think we'll see Berwick Rangers find their feet and start to turn in the results they need to finish mid table come the end of the season.

As for my own team BSC. Theyve already delivered as far as I'm concerned  with that comeback win over East Fife. We are playing some really good football right now and the teams with title ambitions will be looking at us as the team to beat. (Even if they won't admit it).

Just make sure you finish top 3 😉

By my reckoning current maximums are:

Kelty 87

Bonnyrigg 85

BSC 83

East Stirling 76

The Spartans 75

Civil 71

East Kilbride and Cumbernauld 68

The likelihood of anyone putting even 10 points into Kelty in 15 games is very small, and even if they did they would also have to put 8 points into Bonnyrigg and 6 into BSC.

So barring snookers its between Kelty, Bonnyrigg and BSC now.

The head to heads are going to be crucial, and wins away from home will be a big advantage - which BSC have already done at Bonnyrigg so I wouldn't be surprised if they are top come the end of the season.