Delhi/Agra/Jaipur

Guest Moomintroll

Guest Moomintroll

Thanks again to everyone for all the info, don't suppose anyone has also been to Kata Beach in Phuket as we're heading there after India?

Guest Moomintroll
Kata is fairly chilled out compared to neighbouring Patong. The Big Buddha is just on the outskirts of Kata. For nightlife, if you want your eyes opened, head up to the Bangla Road in Patong.
I have heard that Bangla Road is the place to go to acquire certain table tennis accessories. Will probably taxi it up there one night then have the fear for the rest of the holiday. The Big Buddha is quite near the hotel, fancy heading out to the Phi Phi Islands as well.

1 minute ago, Moomintroll said:
12 hours ago, MONKMAN said:
Kata is fairly chilled out compared to neighbouring Patong. The Big Buddha is just on the outskirts of Kata. For nightlife, if you want your eyes opened, head up to the Bangla Road in Patong.

I have heard that Bangla Road is the place to go to acquire certain table tennis accessories. Will probably taxi it up there one night then have the fear for the rest of the holiday. The Big Buddha is quite near the hotel, fancy heading out to the Phi Phi Islands as well.

You'll get plenty of ping pong shows and the likes on the Bangla Road. How long are you there in total?  Phi Phi Don is okay for a night or two but last time I was there about 3 years ago, the place was a complete shithole, streets and beach were filthy.  Nightlife is good enough though centred around the beach bars.  It's tiny though, literally a few minutes walk to get anywhere.  They've over developed by cramming hotels in every bit of land possible in a tiny strip, so it seems really crowded.  Also, the government has closed access to Phi Phi Ley where they filmed the beach, due to pollution and tourists wrecking the place so you can go on a boat trip to see it, but you're not allowed onshore. 

Have a look at Ko Lanta or Railay Beach as an alternative.  There's ferries all day from Phuket to either

Guest Moomintroll
You'll get plenty of ping pong shows and the likes on the Bangla Road. How long are you there in total?  Phi Phi Don is okay for a night or two but last time I was there about 3 years ago, the place was a complete shithole, streets and beach were filthy.  Nightlife is good enough though centred around the beach bars.  It's tiny though, literally a few minutes walk to get anywhere.  They've over developed by cramming hotels in every bit of land possible in a tiny strip, so it seems really crowded.  Also, the government has closed access to Phi Phi Ley where they filmed the beach, due to pollution and tourists wrecking the place so you can go on a boat trip to see it, but you're not allowed onshore. 
Have a look at Ko Lanta or Railay Beach as an alternative.  There's ferries all day from Phuket to either
Going to be there for two weeks so plenty of time to explore, will look into those two places cheers.

1 hour ago, Moomintroll said:
2 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

Going to be there for two weeks so plenty of time to explore, will look into those two places cheers.

Another place to look out for is across the road from The Hard Rock Cafe - a good few bars there.  However, if it's table tennis, ahem, you're after then Bangla Road is the place.  

Guest Moomintroll
3 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Another place to look out for is across the road from The Hard Rock Cafe - a good few bars there.  However, if it's table tennis, ahem, you're after then Bangla Road is the place.  

Trust me I am not after Table Tennis, there are some things in life you cannot unsee.

Kata Beach is fine, there's less people there but it's a smaller beach too, so less space, and I feel this balances it out (compared to Patong Beach).  Didnt notice when you were going but keep in mind this is rainy season on the west coast of Thailand. 

I love the Lion Bar on Patong, great live music. It's near the beach end of the road, on the same side as the McDonalds. 

There's also Illuzion (other end of the road, same side). A big nightclub with fantastic sound system. Certain it's made some list of the top 50 nightclubs in the world recently. Doesn't have to be all ping pong balls and dead behind the eyes strippers if you dont' want it to be. 

However, I have to admit I do enjoy a visit to Suzy Wongs, it's fairly tame in the grand scheme of things though. A nice introduction to Patong. 

I'd agree with the recommendation of Koh Lahnta or Railey over Koh Phi Phi. I was back in KPP about 12 months after 8 years and the difference is unreal. It's nice to say you've been cos it's the place people have heard of but in reality there is litter everywhere and there's some really crappy attempt at a shopping mall been built next to the harbour that has no stores in it. Real shame.

Guest Moomintroll
Kata Beach is fine, there's less people there but it's a smaller beach too, so less space, and I feel this balances it out (compared to Patong Beach).  Didnt notice when you were going but keep in mind this is rainy season on the west coast of Thailand. 
I love the Lion Bar on Patong, great live music. It's near the beach end of the road, on the same side as the McDonalds. 
There's also Illuzion (other end of the road, same side). A big nightclub with fantastic sound system. Certain it's made some list of the top 50 nightclubs in the world recently. Doesn't have to be all ping pong balls and dead behind the eyes strippers if you dont' want it to be. 
However, I have to admit I do enjoy a visit to Suzy Wongs, it's fairly tame in the grand scheme of things though. A nice introduction to Patong. 
I'd agree with the recommendation of Koh Lahnta or Railey over Koh Phi Phi. I was back in KPP about 12 months after 8 years and the difference is unreal. It's nice to say you've been cos it's the place people have heard of but in reality there is litter everywhere and there's some really crappy attempt at a shopping mall been built next to the harbour that has no stores in it. Real shame.
Thanks Booker_d, going at the end of January so right in the middle of the dry season. Have checked them out & will go to Koh Lahnta rather than KPP for a day.

On 13/07/2019 at 02:48, Moomintroll said:
On 12/07/2019 at 22:28, Booker_d said:

Thanks Booker_d, going at the end of January so right in the middle of the dry season. Have checked them out & will go to Koh Lahnta rather than KPP for a day.

Be prepared for lots of Chinese.

I would give you advise, but it's been over 10 year since I have ventured that far down south.  Much has change since then, the place, as people keep describing is unrecognizable now.

Pop in for a Chang if your in my  neighbourhood.   Bring your Deet.