Bathgate Thistle 2019/20 or maybe not !

FuzzyBear

18 minutes ago, FuzzyBear said:

Not sure but I know someone who thinks the main sponsor might be moving to another club.

Dem-master pulled out on us about 6 months ago with regards to ground naming sponsorship.

Bathgate have never had a large core support that the likes of Armadale and Whitburn used to enjoy.  People would turn out for big Junior Cup games but otherwise it was fairly poor for a town of that size.  That said, when we were in the ERJFA Premier two seasons ago both games attracted over 150, and Bathgate were struggling near the bottom at the time. A fair few from Blackburn mind you.
Hopefully they dig themselves out of the hole they're currently in, they have the facilities, maybe they just need a fresh start and a new challenge.
EDIT: Aren't they part of Bathgate Thistle CFC? in which case is there no interest from the community side to help out?
Don't think they are part of the community club any more. As far as i know, a few teams have pulled out.

I seen that there was an EGM but surprised that there was no further info.
A good pitch and the guys behind everything do a great job in the circumstances.
Hope they get their funding. Is there any danger of folding if funding is not found? Chavez?

4 hours ago, FuzzyBear said:

So there was an EGM.

Main sponsor - related to bloke that runs DEM Master - is pulling out.

Willie  Hill no longer putting money in - he was until last season.

Need £15K to keep going

Only 2 committee members.

If you dont think that there means the club is in danger get your head out of the sand.  I am not happy about this by the way. Decent club with great facilities.

You missed the part about the coaching staff and playing squad being strengthened ahead of the forth coming season. First preseason friendly this Saturday.

You missed the part about the coaching staff and playing squad being strengthened ahead of the forth coming season. First preseason friendly this Saturday.
If the clubs short of cash they aren't likely to hang around though. (Just reading between the lines)

Guest chavez
1 hour ago, Spyro said:

This is why they are in the situation they are... no engagement with supporters or the community! Even when they are mentioned, THIS is all the ‘official’ line is!

I’ve said before that I had a soft spot for BT in the past, but it seem to just be a play-thing for a few committee members to stroke their egos and NO EFFORT whatsoever made to get involved with anyone outside their circle. I hope they fold, remove the deadwood and reappear stronger with a new, younger group in charge. Maybe take a leaf out of wee Blackburn’s book when it comes to helping people like myself who would actually like to follow the club, and progress instead of living in the past in their own little bubble...

There! Said I it... 😤

You obviously have no real clue about the Club other than listening to ill informed information. New and younger blood has been sought on numerous occasions but as tends to be the case in Bathgate there is a poor appetite for getting involved.  It's your kind of mentality where it's easier to criticise that just underlines the difficulties. Put your money where your mouth is and get involved if you're genuine. If not, you're just another shit stirrer.

Guest chavez
1 minute ago, Spyro said:

I’m not local, just an outside observer who once upon a time, looked in and saw a great, appealing, well backed club... Considering the size of Bathgate compared to the other towns round about, who (junior or senior) manage to do a great job with what they have to hand, it’s pretty poor to see where BT are now and the decline over the last 2 decades. 

So as an "outside observer" you have the full facts on the Club - think you've just emphasised the last part of my previous post.  What decline? We had a brief spell of success when we were backed by an individual. Even then our support was poor. We weren't a big team before then and we are not now. Like most teams we must live within our means and rely on people to help which we have asked for several times and again last night so we do indeed get new faces in. As the saying goes - reports of our demise have been greatly exaggerated - our apologies to those who thought or would have liked otherwise for whatever reason.

5 hours ago, FuzzyBear said:

So there was an EGM.

Main sponsor - related to bloke that runs DEM Master - is pulling out.

Willie  Hill no longer putting money in - he was until last season.

Need £15K to keep going

Only 2 committee members.

If you dont think that there means the club is in danger get your head out of the sand.  I am not happy about this by the way. Decent club with great facilities.

Not too far off on the above, apart from the number of committee, and whether or not Mr Hill will be offering some sponsorship.

The main point of the EGM was to get as many new faces into behind the scenes as possible due to the aging and small (now smaller) committee. Looking for new ideas on going forward and how best to reach out to the community etc.

The playing side of the club is probably the best it's been for a good number of years, but helps required on match days and publicising news about the club.

Overall it was a very positive meeting and we should be stronger behind the scenes for the coming year.

44 minutes ago, Bathgate_Exile said:

Not too far off on the above, apart from the number of committee, and whether or not Mr Hill will be offering some sponsorship.

The main point of the EGM was to get as many new faces into behind the scenes as possible due to the aging and small (now smaller) committee. Looking for new ideas on going forward and how best to reach out to the community etc.

The playing side of the club is probably the best it's been for a good number of years, but helps required on match days and publicising news about the club.

Overall it was a very positive meeting and we should be stronger behind the scenes for the coming year.

Weren't they part of the community club at one point? Is there not people from that can help

1 hour ago, Spyro said:

I hope you are both right, it’s something that’s bugged me for a while that I never mentioned before... but when the initial post was made, the reaction just confirmed everything I feared.

I find it unbelievable that a town the size of Bathgate, with it’s wide range of demographics, can get it so wrong when it comes to their local team. When others seem to engage and attract from a MUCH smaller pool of potential punters... it doesn’t sit right with me.

The fact that’s 3 folk have piped up on here that I never even knew existed, where have you all been over the last few years?! Is it too much to post once in a while to tell us what good things you are up to? Other teams in your league seem to manage, and whether we agree or not with their point of view, we respect the fact that it looks like they actually CARE about their team... not just jump to the defence because someone has called them out for what looks like a complete lack of interest from within.

I'm not going to argue. Although in recent years the committee has been really small and the lack of engagement hasn't been deliberate, more a consequence of lack of time/ability (when it comes to social media etc.) as efforts have went into other areas of actually running the club. You could make the point that decisions made 20 or so years ago have brought us to this catch 22 situation.

Personally, I've had numerous people reach out to me and point the finger at the club not doing X,Y or Z. But when you calmly explain the situation and ask if there's anything they can do to help, be it big or small, they vanish without trace. So we keep going with the same faces. If you, or anyone else, thinks the club could do anything better and can provide assistance in rectifying it, I know they'd bite your arm off.

Refering to your first paragraph, I think that's the problem.  People catch wind of something and like to have a guess at what's happening. Without learning what's actually going on. 

So as an "outside observer" you have the full facts on the Club - think you've just emphasised the last part of my previous post.  What decline? We had a brief spell of success when we were backed by an individual. Even then our support was poor. We weren't a big team before then and we are not now. Like most teams we must live within our means and rely on people to help which we have asked for several times and again last night so we do indeed get new faces in. As the saying goes - reports of our demise have been greatly exaggerated - our apologies to those who thought or would have liked otherwise for whatever reason.
Cannot argue with this honest response. Bathgate has always had an apathy towards its football teams. It probably always will.

I hope you get the support you need.
You might be best to go direct to people you would like to see involved, people who would make a difference. You will get the knock backs here and there but you may be surprised. In my experience, the personal touch means a lot (and is harder to say no)

The general call to arms doesn't really work imo

2 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

Medium term how do you sell a club that has deliberately opted out of playing almost all of its historic rivals ever again?

To be fair, Bathgate's histroric rivals are Armadale and Whitburn and they will be playing both next season.

22 minutes ago, Spyro said:

Ok fair enough, at least you’ve cleared things up a bit. Maybe if we see an update once and a while in the future so we know what’s going on, rather than silence, the speculation wouldn’t wouldn’t be so negative.

I’ll keep an eye on the Facebook page and maybe even drift over for a game with the bairn. But the thought of crowds of 20odd in a league of 7 others, plus 2 reserve teams isn't the most appealing to me at the moment, if that is even the league you are in... can’t find any info without trawling through previous posts on here from other clubs as to the new league structure. Also especially as my hometown team will be playing in 4 towns all around you this season, they too (literally) had f all to start with 20 years ago and pull 200 crowds each week now, I might be preoccupied.

I might stretch it for an Armadale or Whitburn game, but Fauldhouse are my local team from the East juniors at the moment so I’ll try to get there at some point... again no idea from a quick online search whether they are in the same division as you next season so I might end up not bothering

We may not have the biggest support in the world but I don't think I've witnessed a competitive game where the turnout numbered 20 odd. Oh and no that's not the league we're in. We're in the East Superleague South, where the full fixture list for the coming season has been known for some time. It was posted to both out Facebook and Twitter accounts a couple of weeks ago.

For avoidance of doubt, and to help you plan your next visit to the creamery, I've attached the fixtures .

IMG-20190704-WA0000.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...