LL Records

surely not!

12 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

Maybes because theres one or two teams round about them in the league they have a chance of beating and a guaranteed Scottish Cup 1st round place every season to start wi.

Might no be much but a couple fluke results and a big draw = 💰💰 as opposed to the prelim route which is going to get even harder every season.

If that was the prime motivation... and honestly I don't think it is - you're almost alone in banging this particular drum... then it is working out very dumb because they haven't won a tie in 8 years. You actually have to go back to 2012: which is pre-LL.

If it was about winning some cup-ties and making money, they would be better off playing weaker opponents thus playing in more than 1 round. So that theory just doesn't stack up NB. Indeed this season's truncated format is better for everyone including LL if you're talking about opportunities to progress (though having been drawn away to Banks o'Dee: it still looks a tall-ish order for Vale).

7 hours ago, Tutankhamen said:

What's the record attendance for a cup tie involving a LL team?

Assuming you mean in LL era, while playing in LL, at home then 7,767 for East Kilbride v Celtic though of course that was ordered to Airdrie. Most clubs have a capacity less than that.

Other crowds in 4 figures are:
* Spartans v Berwick (2,500)
* East Stirlingshire v Rangers (2,246 - LC)
* Bonnyrigg v Clyde (2,213)
* BSCG v Hibs (2,120)
* Bonnyrigg v Montrose (2,017)
* Bonnyrigg v Buckie (1,693)
* Spartans v Morton (1,288)
* Kelty v Solihull (1,146 - CC)
* Spartans v Kilmarnock (1,078 - LC)

Edinburgh City v East Stirlingshire (1,090) playoff and Kelty v Bonnyrigg (1,510) also in 4 figures. Kelty v Threave playoff might have too but can't see a figure.

24 minutes ago, Jerry Macguire said:

Here's a LL record I've only just found out about. Apparently our win over East Stirlingshire last night is the first time anyone has beaten them by 4 goals since they dropped into the LL.

In the league. They've lost 5-1 at home to Ayr and 4-0 away to Formartine in cup-ties.

In initial season they came fairly close in league: Spartans beat them 4-1 away and Selkirk beat them 7-4 at home (which looks an utterly ludicrous result now).

2 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

In the league. They've lost 5-1 at home to Ayr and 4-0 away to Formartine in cup-ties.

In initial season they came fairly close in league: Spartans beat them 4-1 away and Selkirk beat them 7-4 at home (which looks an utterly ludicrous result now).

I’m sure vale put 4 past them a few seasons back? Not sure the final score though??

3 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

If that was the prime motivation... and honestly I don't think it is - you're almost alone in banging this particular drum... then it is working out very dumb because they haven't won a tie in 8 years. You actually have to go back to 2012: which is pre-LL.

If it was about winning some cup-ties and making money, they would be better off playing weaker opponents thus playing in more than 1 round. So that theory just doesn't stack up NB. Indeed this season's truncated format is better for everyone including LL if you're talking about opportunities to progress (though having been drawn away to Banks o'Dee: it still looks a tall-ish order for Vale).

That's me telt was only looking for excuses to stick up for them as they seem to get a lot of stick on here and dont have much fan input.  :lol:

1 hour ago, fowler23 said:

I’m sure vale put 4 past them a few seasons back? Not sure the final score though??

Banks o'Dee? Don't think so. Selkirk lost 2-0 up there in 2017. Since cup went all-in Vale's record is:

2007-08 ... beat Gala 3-1, lost at Culter 1-2
2008-09 ... won at Glasgow Uni 1-0, won at Civil Service 1-0, lost at Inverurie 0-4
2009-10 ... won at Edinburgh Uni 1-0, lost to Keith 1-3
2010-11 ... lost to Keith 1-3
2011-12 ... beat Girvan 1-0, beat Cove 3-2, lost at Auchinleck 1-3
2012-13 ... won at Threave 1-0, beat Selkirk 5-1 (after 1-1 draw), lost at Cowdenbeath 1-8
2013-14 ... lost at Brora 0-1
2014-15 ... lost at Gala 0-1
2015-16 ... lost at Wigtown 0-1
2016-17 ... lost at East Kilbride 1-9
2017-18 ... lost at Spartans 0-3
2018-19 ... lost at Gretna 2-3
2019-20 .. lost at Fort William 0-5

EDIT: Apologies you mean 'Shire in league. Vale won 3-2 at Falkirk a couple of seasons ago.

1 hour ago, newcastle broon said:

That's me telt was only looking for excuses to stick up for them as they seem to get a lot of stick on here and dont have much fan input.  :lol:

Fair enough.

I'm just saying this particular theory - that it helps out when it comes to Scottish Cup - holds no water.

Losing in R1 every season pockets £4,000 at current amounts. If they ever actually won a tie R2 is £5,000 = £9,000. However... if they entered PR1 and won 1 tie is £3,000 + £3,000 = £6,000. If ever won 2 ties and made R1 = £10,000.

Also clearly more liklihood of beating East First Division opponents, South opponents, Girvan, Glasgow Uni, Golspie etc. than LL, HL, cream of tier 6.

Alternatively this season's truncated format suits all (including Vale) as easier to progress from R1 > R2 > R3 > R4.

So if your theory did hold water it would make no difference being in LL or otherwise.

Edited by HibeeJibee

5 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Banks o'Dee? Don't think so. Selkirk lost 2-0 up there in 2017. Since cup went all-in Vale's record is:

2007-08 ... beat Gala 3-1, lost at Culter 1-2
2008-09 ... won at Glasgow Uni 1-0, won at Civil Service 1-0, lost at Inverurie 0-4
2009-10 ... won at Edinburgh Uni 1-0, lost to Keith 1-3
2010-11 ... lost to Keith 1-3
2011-12 ... beat Girvan 1-0, beat Cove 3-2, lost at Auchinleck 1-3
2012-13 ... won at Threave 1-0, beat Selkirk 5-1 (after 1-1 draw), lost at Cowdenbeath 1-8
2013-14 ... lost at Brora 0-1
2014-15 ... lost at Gala 0-1
2015-16 ... lost at Wigtown 0-1
2016-17 ... lost at East Kilbride 1-9
2017-18 ... lost at Spartans 0-3
2018-19 ... lost at Gretna 2-3
2019-20 .. lost at Fort William 0-5

EDIT: Apologies you mean 'Shire in league. Vale won 3-2 at Falkirk a couple of seasons ago.

Fair enough.

I'm just saying this particular theory - that it helps out when it comes to Scottish Cup - holds no water.

Losing in R1 every season pockets £4,000 at current amounts. If they ever actually won a tie R2 is £5,000 = £9,000. However... if they entered PR1 and won 1 tie is £3,000 + £3,000 = £6,000. If ever won 2 ties and made R1 = £10,000.

Also clearly more liklihood of beating East First Division opponents, South opponents, Girvan, Glasgow Uni, Golspie etc. than LL, HL, cream of tier 6.

Alternatively this season's truncated format suits all (including Vale) as easier to progress from R1 > R2 > R3 > R4.

So if your theory did hold water it would make no difference being in LL or otherwise.

Was meaning vale put 4 past the shire

14 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

It was an utterly ludicrous result even then. Shire were 2nd at the time and IIRC, Selkirk were bottom. Might even have been their first win.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/07/2019 at 19:11, HibeeJibee said:

I know from speaking to someone a while ago that the league had - at that time at least - retained all the teamsheets, as a club was using theirs to compile a historical record of their own all-time appearances. Whether that is still the case now or if they have been junked I'm not sure. It does not really get you much further forward anyway as it could be a gargantuan job to tabulate approaching 20,000 appearances over 6 years. I think appearances for the champion have possibly appeared in the annual Scottish Football Almanac.

From memory any 'Top Goalscorer' awards have been fitful unlike in EOSL where there's an annual award for league only and in all competitions. So I don't suppose goals have ever been tabulated.

Cmontheloknow has noted the highest-scoring games.

Attendances were not recorded until the season just ended. Surpassing that 560 for Barry Ferguson's unveiling is quite unlikely (IMO)... my recollection is the previous 'big crowds' were for the groundhop and some Spartans v Edinburgh City derbies at New Year and they were 450-500. I don't think Spartans v Whitehill, Gala v Hawick,, etc. or any last-day deciding games ever got that high. Prior to the season just ended only a few clubs issued crowds - Dalbeattie online, Edinburgh City and Whitehill in programmes, plus Gretna and Threave on defunct websites.

EDIT: Record LL crowd in groundhop was 491 for EK v Whitehill. I'd hope Berwick v Bonnyrigg in March will surpass that given the respective supports.

618 for Linlithgow v Jeanfield holds overall groundhop record.

EDIT AGAIN: Highest crowd for Spartans v Edinburgh City at New Year looks to have been 528 in 2015-16... Following season it was suggested there may have been "600+" at East Kilbride v East Stirlingshire, but this was just based on someone concluding it was packed (this was before they built the covered terrace) and AFAICS never corroborated.

With all of Berwick, Bonnyrigg, 'Shire and Kelty now in LL alongside growing EK and Spartans we might see these skittled several times, IMO.

The Crowd for Spartans v Shire in April 18 was 781. This was league winning game. I think that is Spartans LL record crowd beating the 500+ for the game v Edin City the previous year. 

I remember thinking it was a big crowd because I had to queue to get to the turnstile.

32 minutes ago, selfassemblyshire said:

What's the record for most penalties in a season? Bomnyrigg must be on course to beat that

They have all been honestly earned except the one against your mob then the ref evened things up when he awarded one against the Rose for a mighty fall in our area.

C’mon The Rose 🌹🌹🌹

They have all been honestly earned except the one against your mob then the ref evened things up when he awarded one against the Rose for a mighty fall in our area.

C’mon The Rose [emoji257][emoji257][emoji257]
I cant disagree with that [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] soft as shite those penalties

Andy Rodgers reached 109 lowland League games last night for ES in our 125 LL games so far to equal Jamie Barclay's ES club record. 

So who currently is the all club LL appearance record holder given that the max would be 200 as all the long term teams are now reaching that threshold ? I would imagine a few players are on the 150 + mark at least.

Edited by Dead

• 2 weeks later...

Caledonian Braves 9-0 Vale of Leithen

CB/Edusport 'all time' record home victory.

Alongside:

Edusport Academy 9-0 Creetown (2014-15)
Edusport Academy 9-0 Crichton (2014-15 Tweedie Cup)

[Dumfries YMCA 0-11 Edusport Academy (2015-16) is their record away victory]

On 25/11/2020 at 00:10, HibeeJibee said:

Vale lost 5-0 at Bonnyrigg tonight for 10 straight defeats this season (14 if include tail end of last season); failed to score in 8 of those 10 including last 6.

Sadly there appear to be a few records here.

Selkirk lost 10 games running at the start of inaugural 2013-14 season. (Threave went 14 games without victory during 2014-15 but they got 3 draws interspersed anyway; after winning their opening game next campaign they did lose 17 on the trot, so Vale can still avoid that... similarly Preston went 19 games without victory over end of 2013-14 and start of 2014-15 but never more than 8 straight defeats... and Whitehill at end of 2018-19, but never more than 5 in a row, interestingly). As it stands therefore the only worse form is Hawick, who went 18 without a win (including 15 straight losses) start of 2017-18... they did win 1 cup-tie though.

I cannot actually find any instance of going 6 without a goal but not checked top half finishes - there could have been a club who didn't have a bad season but saw a drought somewhere. Preston shot 5 blanks start of 2015-16; then Hawick during 2017-18; and Dalbeattie start of last season.

GD -41 passes -4 per game for first time in LL history by my reckoning... Selkirk in 2013-14, Hawick in 2017-18 and Vale themself last season hovered either side of -3.

Hopefully pick up with some mid-table opponents ahead.

Based on their cup display last Saturday it won't be too long before they are dogfighting with Tweedmouth and Lochgelly Albert at the bottom of the EOS conferences. A club in real decline on the park sadly.

• 7 months later...
On 25/11/2020 at 00:10, HibeeJibee said:

Vale lost 5-0 at Bonnyrigg tonight for 10 straight defeats this season (14 if include tail end of last season); failed to score in 8 of those 10 including last 6.

Sadly there appear to be a few records here.

Selkirk lost 10 games running at the start of inaugural 2013-14 season. (Threave went 14 games without victory during 2014-15 but they got 3 draws interspersed anyway; after winning their opening game next campaign they did lose 17 on the trot, so Vale can still avoid that... similarly Preston went 19 games without victory over end of 2013-14 and start of 2014-15 but never more than 8 straight defeats... and Whitehill at end of 2018-19, but never more than 5 in a row, interestingly). As it stands therefore the only worse form is Hawick, who went 18 without a win (including 15 straight losses) start of 2017-18... they did win 1 cup-tie though.

Bump.

Unfortunate milestone today as Vale of Leithen attained a run of 25 consecutive defeats in all competitions - including 23 consecutive league defeats.

(Their other 2 were to Banks o'Dee in last season's Scottish Cup and Jeanfield in this season's EOS Qualifying Cup).

They last avoided defeat by winning 3-1 at Gala on Saturday 28th December 2019.

Jings. I remember with dread when Shire were on a run a form just as bad.

It will be so difficult for Vale even just avoid defeat but I hope that happens sooner rather that later.  A some point the corner will be turned though.

1 hour ago, Dead said:

Jings. I remember with dread when Shire were on a run a form just as bad.

It will be so difficult for Vale even just avoid defeat but I hope that happens sooner rather that later.  A some point the corner will be turned though.

Vale have actually been in a strong winning position once in last 20 months. They were 5-1 up at home to Heston in South Challenge Cup last November but it was abandoned with 23mins left waterlogged.

Before it could be played again football at this level was suspended, the competition itself got abandoned and indeed Heston has since folded. (I understand rumours this was from sheer mortification at having trailed Vale by 4 goals are scurrilous and unfounded).