Ties or knot?

Ties or knot  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, Adam101 said:

Following on from both @Dele and @Shotgun offering to be tie advisors, are the rest of the P&B masses tie wearers or just scruffs. Feel free to express exasperation at the pattern and or the knot anyway here is today's effort -

IMG_20190702_074445.jpg

Had to wear a tie every work day from 16 to 29,  but it's just special occasions and (sometimes) client meetings nowadays. Which in a way, is too bad because I look much better when I'm gussied up than I did when I was younger.

Anyway, I like the jaiket but the tie needs a dimple.

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Hong Fucking Kong. 

To give it its full title.

Anyway, Im more of a business casual look these days. I havent quite reached the blue blazer, checked shirt, jeans and brown loafers stage yet but its coming. 

29 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

To give it its full title.

Anyway, Im more of a business casual look these days. I havent quite reached the blue blazer, checked shirt, jeans and brown loafers stage yet but its coming. 

It's shorts and t-shirt for me these days - sometimes I lose the shorts as I imagine newsreaders do when they feel rebellious

11 minutes ago, hk blues said:

It's shorts and t-shirt for me these days - sometimes I lose the shorts as I imagine newsreaders do when they feel rebellious

I once did a Skype-based job interview from home wearing shirt and tie on my upper half but only boxers on the lower half seeing as I hate ironing trousers.

I got offered the job. :thumsup2

They then pulled the role (and made others in the company redundant) less than a week before my start date.  Having been made redundant months before hand from another company, this was a crushing experience  :(

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

I once did a Skype-based job interview from home wearing shirt and tie on my upper half but only boxers on the lower half seeing as I hate ironing trousers.

I got offered the job. :thumsup2

Reveal hidden contents

They then pulled the role (and made others in the company redundant) less than a week before my start date.  Having been made redundant months before hand from another company, this was a crushing experience  :(

Yep - I do online teaching via Skype so only my top half is visible.  

I hope.

In centuries to come they'll wonder how we were ever mental enought to tie a knot around our neck every day in order to look "smart".

Then pair it with a jacket that's too hot for indoors, but offers no resistance to weather outdoors. And a shirt made of fabrics that immediately show any trace of sweat.

48 minutes ago, GordonS said:

In centuries to come they'll wonder how we were ever mental enought to tie a knot around our neck every day in order to look "smart".

Then pair it with a jacket that's too hot for indoors, but offers no resistance to weather outdoors. And a shirt made of fabrics that immediately show any trace of sweat.

But jackets and ties do look smart  

23 minutes ago, hk blues said:

But jackets and ties do look smart  

That's just because we've all grown up being told that this is what looks smart. In the 16th century it would have looked weird. It's just fashion.

In the past fleshy pale-skinned women were considered the most attractive (see every painting of Venus, ever), and now it's skinny tanned women. This stuff is just learned.

7 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

The guy who invented ties must be laughing all the way to the bank. Millions upon millions of people are forced to wear them every day, including young children. And it's literally a strip of fabric - that requires little or no tailoring to create. I'm going to a funeral on Friday and tradition dictates I should wear a long strip of black fabric round my neck. Mr Tie (if that was his name) is profiting from grief. 

A good-quality handmade silk ties requires a lot of skill from fabric selection to measuring, cutting, folding, sewing and pressing to get it right.