Ties or knot?

Ties or knot  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I only wear ties infrequently, the usual Weddings, funerals etc but I'm a big believer that if you have to wear one don't do it half hearted. Can't stand seeing someone wear a tie not fully done up with the top shirt button undone. What's the point of wearing the thing in the first place. Fair enough if you are 8 pints deep at a family funeral.
Learn to tie a proper knot, never wear a skinny tie and do your shirt buttons up!

My employers should be fucking grateful I can be arsed to wear clothes at all. As should everyone else in the vicinity.

For some reason this thread has reminded me of that peculiar breed of elderly gentleman who, despite being retired since God was a boy, is always up at the crack and waiting impatiently for the shops to open, dressed in immaculate business attire from the Seventies.

Yep - I do online teaching via Skype so only my top half is visible.  
I hope.

Not worn a tie in 20 years. Used to get a bit of stick from my boss for attending the companies conferences in jeans and casual shirts while everyone else was in suits and ties (work for a Swedish company), but they have now given up, so I consider that a small victory.

Do a lot of Skype calls, but no video, so mostly sit outside in shorts and nothing else (always too hot to be wearing much more). We may be moving to more video conferencing so that may mean pulling on a t-shirt for the calls.

14 hours ago, GordonS said:

That's just because we've all grown up being told that this is what looks smart. In the 16th century it would have looked weird. It's just fashion.

In the past fleshy pale-skinned women were considered the most attractive (see every painting of Venus, ever), and now it's skinny tanned women. This stuff is just learned.

Nah - I just think they look smart.

I've never thought fleshy pale-skinned women were attractive, and certainly don't think skinny tanned women are either - I guess I'm not a good learner! 

14 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Same as most on here, only wear a tie for weddings , funerals  and court appearances. 

Great old tradition that but I've always reckoned you might as well hang a notice round your neck with the words :

"I am the accused and I am guilty"

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Nah - I just think they look smart.

I've never thought fleshy pale-skinned women were attractive, and certainly don't think skinny tanned women are either - I guess I'm not a good learner! 

When you get to my age, beggars can't be choosers. I'll have either - or both, even, if the spirit moves me...

13 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I'm fighting them off with a shitey stick!  

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I remember those days...

1 minute ago, hk blues said:

I wish i could...

I might be exagerrating slightly...