Lossiemouth

BerwickMad

Hopefully we can beat Spartans and get to play them as I enjoyed my trip north yesterday. Great day out. We were speaking to two Lossiemouth players on the way back to Aberdeen in the train. Good lads. Didnt mind talking to us and werent arrogant b*****ds like most footballers these days. They were disapointed in the result yesterday against Huntly I think it was. Number 2 and number 15 they were if the Lossiemouth fan on here knows them. Didnt get their names though.

Spartans will be a hard game but I really do hope we get the chance to go up to Lossiemouth in Round 2.

Whats the rivalry like between Lossiemouth and Elgin?

Rivalry is massive as you can imagine for two clubs barely five miles apart - with the difference in traditions between the two towns also adding to it (Lossie being a fisher town and Elgin being a country market town).

The rivalry is probably felt more by the Lossie support than the Elgin fans as back in the days of the old Highland League, the Skiters (Elgin) had two main "rivals" - Caley (as the team that rivalled them for success) and ourselves (as the local derby). Meanwhile we only really cared about Elgin as rivals. Certainly all our songs seem to mention a "dislike" for Elgin.

The Skiters are also hated by a number of other clubs in the local area (Forres Mechanics, Rothes, Buckie Thistle) but Lossie remained the biggest derby and crowds would often be four-figure affairs for these games.

These games are missed by us and we've met a few times in regional cups but it's not been the same and somehow the Skiters seem to have some sort of hex over us.

As for the players you spoke to one of them (number 2) would have been Reid but not sure on who the other was - perhaps Adams or Whyte who were both unused subs on Saturday as the two guys that did come on were both locally based and wouldn't have been on the train.

If we are knocked out by stirling and dont have a game that day, im defiently going to be at Grant Park as a berwick fan for the day

Goin by your Scottish Cup record City fan yil definetly be at Grant Park Lossie on second roon day.

Lossie loon am nae sure if hElgin saw you boys as rivals as the big match o the season was always Buckie v hElgin City.I can only mine back tae the 70s but afore that 5000 was commonplace at Jags hElgin matches

Rivalry is massive as you can imagine for two clubs barely five miles apart - with the difference in traditions between the two towns also adding to it (Lossie being a fisher town and Elgin being a country market town).

The rivalry is probably felt more by the Lossie support than the Elgin fans as back in the days of the old Highland League, the Skiters (Elgin) had two main "rivals" - Caley (as the team that rivalled them for success) and ourselves (as the local derby). Meanwhile we only really cared about Elgin as rivals. Certainly all our songs seem to mention a "dislike" for Elgin.

The Skiters are also hated by a number of other clubs in the local area (Forres Mechanics, Rothes, Buckie Thistle) but Lossie remained the biggest derby and crowds would often be four-figure affairs for these games.

These games are missed by us and we've met a few times in regional cups but it's not been the same and somehow the Skiters seem to have some sort of hex over us.

As for the players you spoke to one of them (number 2) would have been Reid but not sure on who the other was - perhaps Adams or Whyte who were both unused subs on Saturday as the two guys that did come on were both locally based and wouldn't have been on the train.

Aye, they were both from Aberdeen if that helps.

Will you be up for the game? Still not sure we will get through against Spartans as they have already beat us 4-1 in the City Cup this season but we should have our whole first team out on in the Scottish Cup and hopefully we wont go down to ten men early on!!

Lossie loon am nae sure if hElgin saw you boys as rivals as the big match o the season was always Buckie v hElgin City.

I can assure you that the Skiters hated us more than anyone, with the possible exception of Caley who they saw as rivals for the trophies whilst we were the real local derby.

That said, as I mentioned in my post, there was no love lost when Skiters played Forres, Rothes and Buckie either.

Aye, they were both from Aberdeen if that helps.

Will you be up for the game? Still not sure we will get through against Spartans as they have already beat us 4-1 in the City Cup this season but we should have our whole first team out on in the Scottish Cup and hopefully we wont go down to ten men early on!!

Aye, it would have been Reid plus one of either Adams or Whyte.

I will indeed be up for the game, regardless of if it's your mob or Spartans (I do make quite a few games in any case). This is only the third time in my lifetime we have qualified for the Scottish Cup, so I'm not going to miss any of our games (and hopefully it will be the plural!).

It will be very close between you and Spartans. Spartans have had some excellent results in recent years (giving both Buckie and Arbroath a bit of a doing) and will be a very strong side. I'm not sure who I want out of Spartans and Berwick as I think we would have a better chance of upsetting Spartans at home, but Berwick are the bigger draw and I want us to face SFL opposition at least - although you are going very strong this season and would bring quite a few folk up with you for the adventure.

If it is Berwick, I wouldn't mind a replay down at your place!

Your right saying the rivalry is felt more by Lossie Fans, there will be a few Elgin fans that wont really care about lossie, with us being in the SFL now, its just not the same for some people but personally i love seeing the codhieds get beat every weekend and love sticking 4 or 5 past them when we meet in the North Cup etc. Whatever happend to the Moray Shield? wasnt it supposed to be an annual thing?

As for you Buckie Arab, your like a bloody record, how much shots at our cup record have u taken at me now on here and the Elgin board :rolleyes: get some new material min. Anyway Elgin - Lossie rivalry was much bigger to me than Buckie, cant remember there being anywhere near the same size crowds with buckie games than with lossie.

[quote name='cityfan' date='Nov 7 2005, 15:50' post='74032

As for you Buckie Arab, your like a bloody record, how much shots at our cup record have u taken at me now on here and the Elgin board

City fan when u lot go oot and win a Cup match of any sort i will come on and congratulate you. :D.I actually think yil come through the Stirling match and take on Inverurie in the second roon.

Dinnae say that min - you'll just get cityfan back on here going on about the North Cup....

What, that diddy cup? :P

Nah, im just joking, sadly thats the only cup i can properly ever remember us winning. I remember a cup final at Keith when i was little and one at Huntly (1-0 against Cove i think), but the memories of them are very little and with very little to cheer about in the later years of the HFL and the years so far of the SFL, winning the North Cup is actually a highlight for me.

City fan when u lot go oot and win a Cup match of any sort i will come on and congratulate you. .I actually think yil come through the Stirling match and take on Inverurie in the second roon

:lol: i'll look forward to it!, just dont think it will be anytime soon!

If we were to beat stirling (and with the way the youngsters played on saturday, im feeling a little optimistic) then i'd be really worried about that match with Inverurie.

• 2 weeks later...

If we were to beat stirling (and with the way the youngsters played on saturday, im feeling a little optimistic) then i'd be really worried about that match with Inverurie.

And quite right, the Loco's have got their finger oot and started to put things together this season ;)

Well done City fan this must be one o hElgin Citys best cup runs in recent seasons. We are now past 1st round saturday and yir still in the cup. Still i do recon yil beat Stirling and get a big match against Inverurie in round 2

:rolleyes:

we made it past the 1st round saturday last season aswell you know :P

Im optimistic bout the game on saturday. If we can beat them, the inverurie game is going to be huge and its going to be far from an easy game.

Suprised you actually think we'll win on saturday, if we do, thats the cup jinx gone, so what the hell are you going to taunt me with then? :blink: You might actually need to get some new material

Gaun the Lossie! :D

The lass that goes to the Football with us is from Lossie and we go there to stay after games against Inverness or Ross County. Lovely wee place which is full of friendly people.

I know a guy who is a Forres Mechanics fan and he hates Elgin, says there was always a good crowd and atmosphere for games between those sides.

His hero is the Wolf of Badenoch because he burned Elgin to the ground twice :lol:

I know a guy who is a Forres Mechanics fan and he hates Elgin, says there was always a good crowd and atmosphere for games between those sides.

His hero is the Wolf of Badenoch because he burned Elgin to the ground twice :lol:

:lol:

This guy obviously doesnt know his history if hes a forres fan and his hero is the wolf of badenoch!! does the guy realise that the wolf also ransacked and burned most of Forres before he went near Elgin?

:lol:

This guy obviously doesnt know his history if hes a forres fan and his hero is the wolf of badenoch!! does the guy realise that the wolf also ransacked and burned most of Forres before he went near Elgin?

Yeah he knows his history cityfan, its just a wee joke ;)

Maybe he thinks the burning of Forres was a price worth paying to have Elgin wrecked as well :P

Archived