Scotland Squad announce before September game

Picking three central midfielders from mctominay McGinn Christie Armstrong McGregor is going to be tricky but it’s a good problem to have

Absolutely. So many fantastic options in midfield, and yet so few up front and at right and centre back.

A'd hoov Kerr und Lindsay oot centre back. Solad.

A'd also call oop Jack Harper tae have a look at has raw materials first hand. Mibbe haes crap but we've nae hordes a options oop front so hes worth a look in training. We dinnae need a Messi when a David Healy can get 1 in 2 in a team built tha right way wuth a finisher.

Well what's your suggestion? They're the only 2 capped and injured CB';available from the last squad
It's either Mulgrew and McKenna, throw somebody uncapped in, or go back to the likes of Berra/Hanley.
There's obviously nobody sticking out like a sore thumb right now. Another couple of weeks and things will be a bit clearer with Mulgrew/Bates/Lindsay etc. as well as the injuries to the likes of Souttar.
The most important thing for me is preparing for the playoffs. If we need to go with an uncapped player and he struggles for a couple of games then so be it. Give the two CB's a run of 5/6 games together. Constantly changing them won't be helpful.

6 hours ago, Estragon IS NOT a fud said:

Why should he start exactly? Because he plays for Man Utd. Awful reason. Both he and McGinn haven't done anything in a Scotland shirt to merit being 1st choice.

McGregor and McLean should be starting, based on the merits of their Scotland performances of late.

Because he’s better than the others by a mile. Simple.

Why should he start exactly? Because he plays for Man Utd.

er, well yes!

Playing well enough to be a first pick for the biggest club in the best league in the world is exactly the reason he should be selected for Scotland!

Just because you don’t have a clue isn’t a reason not to pick him! [emoji1][emoji12]

14 minutes ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

Grant Hanley is our only centre half good enough for the Premiership

The only question is with regards to who partners him!

Grant Hanley barely got a game for Norwich in the championship last season. Presumably there must have been injuries for him to get a game against Liverpool.

He’s no better than plenty of other CB’s we have currently. 

Grant Hanley barely got a game for Norwich in the championship last season. Presumably there must have been injuries for him to get a game against Liverpool.
He’s no better than plenty of other CB’s we have currently. 

There were two injuries. They also wanted to send him out on loan to Blackburn I think but Hanley turned them down to fight for his place.
Presumably Mowbray considers Hanley > Mulgrew.

There were two injuries. They also wanted to send him out on loan to Blackburn I think but Hanley turned them down to fight for his place.
Presumably Mowbray considers Hanley > Mulgrew.
Not sure that Tony Mowbray's opinions of defenders should really be used to inform anything.

The thing that people miss with Mulgrew is his experience. The rest of that Scotland team is very young and don't have many caps amongst them, Robertson and Forrest aside. The team in Kazakhstan was Scotland's youngest in about 40 years and I think that played at least some part in what happened there.

That's why I think Clarke will lean on the likes of Marshall, Mulgrew and possibly even someone like Naismith, even if there are marginally "better" players in their positions.

Not sure that Tony Mowbray's opinions of defenders should really be used to inform anything.

The thing that people miss with Mulgrew is his experience. The rest of that Scotland team is very young and don't have many caps amongst them, Robertson and Forrest aside. The team in Kazakhstan was Scotland's youngest in about 40 years and I think that played at least some part in what happened there.

That's why I think Clarke will lean on the likes of Marshall, Mulgrew and possibly even someone like Naismith, even if there are marginally "better" players in their positions.
Fair point on Mowbray.
Clarke probably did want to have Mulgrew's experience in the Cyprus and Belgium games but at which point do you stop playing a CB who isn't get games in club football?
Also, there's virtually no friendlies anymore so if they want to get somebody new into the team they're going to have to do it in a competitive game.

There's a league cup game for Wigan tonight so presumably this'll be Mulgrew's first chance to push himself into the team.
The worst thing for me would be having to make this decision all over again for the October and then November games.