Scotland Squad announce before September game

18 hours ago, craigkillie said:

The biggest worry is that one of Mulgrew or Cooper gets injured in the coming week. I'm pretty happy with the two of them - they're both experienced and have played at a relatively decent level at points in their career. Bates is Garry Kenneth mark II, and Devlin has looked good for Aberdeen when fit but is just on the way back from injury.

It's slim pickings in that position with McKenna, Findlay and even Souttar injured - the alternatives like Lindsay and Halkett wouldn't fill me with any more confidence, especially given the start to the season that both their sides have had.

Probably on SSC's radar the way things are going.

1 hour ago, forameus said:

If anyone's seriously suggesting that, they can get to f**k.

We can get pumped by Belgium and still qualify.  If we lose to Russia, we definitely won't qualify.  It's that simple.  Friday is all that matters at this stage.

Someone suggested it a few posts back, utter madness! And also anyone who's posted their team and not included Christie can get in the sea.

5 minutes ago, M0rtonfc said:

Someone suggested it a few posts back, utter madness! And also anyone who's posted their team and not included Christie can get in the sea.

The mark of a raging simpleton that.

Marshall

O'Donnell Cooper Mulgrew Robertson 

Mctominay Mcginn 

Forrest        Snodgrass       Fraser

Mcburnie 

Snodgrass and Mcginn over, over Christie and Mcgregor. Would be happy with any of the 4 really. But Snodgrass and Mcginn do it at a much higher level.

If it's a developed partnership you want all I could suggest is Miller and Mcleish

I’m a fussy c**t me, I’d prefer if he had at least one cap. He’s been at Leeds for ages and he’s 27. Why has he only recently come to the notice of a Scotland manager?

I read his Wiki page and Strachan called him up in 2016 but he’s never had a game for the Scotland full squad despite being at Leeds since 2015. Strange, given our ongoing concerns at centre back.

Bates is an odd one. I didn't catch the games other than occasional highlights, but Hamburg were better with him in the lineup last year. In the highlights I saw the opposition goals were scored away from him, if that makes sense. They were cruising to automatic promotion, then it seemed like he was dropped after one of their veterans returned from injury. Then they went on a skid and ended up missing out on promotion in the end. Its puzzling that he's not getting a game for Sheffield Wednesday, and even more puzzling that he's been called up despite that. 

McLean's probably the only guaranteed starter in midfield and that's just because McTominay's suspended. There's a case for any two of Armstrong, Christie, McGinn or McGregor.

There's always the possibility Clarke goes with a 4-4-2 against Russia (I'm assuming he will against Belgium), but I think we'd still see at least three of our CMs in that.

McLean's probably the only guaranteed starter in midfield and that's just because McTominay's suspended. There's a case for any two of Armstrong, Christie, McGinn or McGregor.

There's always the possibility Clarke goes with a 4-4-2 against Russia (I'm assuming he will against Belgium), but I think we'd still see at least three of our CMs in that.

Is MCT definitely suspended? I recall talk of it at the time of his yello card Vs Belgium, but someone claimed it was 3 yellows for a suspension in this qualifying

Bates is an odd one. I didn't catch the games other than occasional highlights, but Hamburg were better with him in the lineup last year. In the highlights I saw the opposition goals were scored away from him, if that makes sense. They were cruising to automatic promotion, then it seemed like he was dropped after one of their veterans returned from injury. Then they went on a skid and ended up missing out on promotion in the end. Its puzzling that he's not getting a game for Sheffield Wednesday, and even more puzzling that he's been called up despite that. 

He’s pretty much just coming back from injury. Weird he’s been called up tbh.

On 01/09/2019 at 22:35, dumpweed said:

Left sided CB which he appear to have about 50 and no RCBs

Why is it only at centre back that we seem to have worries about which foot the players kick with? We don't ever discuss the stronger foot of our centre midfielders or strikers to look for "balance". Call up your best players, if they're good enough for International level they'll be more than capable of kicking the ball with both feet, they're supposed to be professionals after all.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Why is it only at centre back that we seem to have worries about which foot the players kick with? We don't ever discuss the stronger foot of our centre midfielders or strikers to look for "balance". Call up your best players, if they're good enough for International level they'll be more than capable of kicking the ball with both feet, they're supposed to be professionals after all.

Defending is all about balance and body shape.

A lot of players find it un-natural to defend on the opposite side. Similar reason as why most full backs can't play both sides.

It's easier further up the field as there is more freedom in attacking.