Scotland Squad announce before September game

19 hours ago, GordonS said:

Scotland... two left backs, 800 midfielders and not much else.

The role Fletcher occupied recently was perfect for bringing our busy little attacking midfielders into the game, holding it up and playing it off to any of 3-4 of them running on. It was hard to defend against and it's why we're in our Nations League final. I was never a Fletcher fan before, but I was converted. I love Naismith but I worry about having no height or strength in the front 4, so for me it would have to be McBurnie.

Angus Gunn - I've long thought players should have to declare a nationality when they first sign a full-time professional contract, and that's it done. I'm fine with the granny rule and I'm fine with the residency rule, but what bothers me is when players hedge their bets. That's not cool. International football isn't just an adjunct to your career.

Absolutely spot on re Fletcher - Fletchers contribution allowed Fraser and Forrest to play as well as they did last autumn.

In fairness to Angus Gunn, and as much as I'd jump at the chance of capping him - he's never ever said he ever wants to play for Scotland at all.... has he? So not sure he's one hedging his bets.

47 minutes ago, GhostZapper said:

In fairness to Angus Gunn, and as much as I'd jump at the chance of capping him - he's never ever said he ever wants to play for Scotland at all.... has he? So not sure he's one hedging his bets.

Ah true.

He really isn’t. Christie is on top form at the moment.

He really is, he’s playing in the English Premiership

Christie looks good playing in a Mickey Mouse league in the best team

He wouldn’t even get in West Ham’s bench

Put Snodgrass in that Celtic side and he’d win all the player of the year awards and bang in a barrowload of goals

Brutal defensive and striking options. Without McKenna and Tierney our defence looks absolutely shite. 

Marshall

Robertson
Cooper
Mulgrew
O'Donnell (surely there's better options than him for RB?)

McGinn
McTominay

Forrest
Christie
Fraser

McBurnie

1 hour ago, GhostZapper said:

Absolutely spot on re Fletcher - Fletchers contribution allowed Fraser and Forrest to play as well as they did last autumn.

Yeah, on Angus Gunn, I think he's always said he wants to play for England, and his own father - an ex-Scottish International player - has said the same.  I suspect the only reason he'll pull the jersey on for us is if he's told there's absolutely no way he'll represent England.  Which is very unlikely.  He's been honest and unequivocal, which is more than a lot of players are.

3 minutes ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

It’s a fantastic idea utilised to great effect by many teams, not least Liverpool, using a false 9 to allow Salah and Mane the freedom to attack with 3 in midfield behind them

Yeah, because we have players of that quality to definitely make the system work...

In fact...no, it couldn't be...Craig Levein, is that you?

Defence is a bit of a worry as already pointed out by everyone but it is what it is with injuries. We need to shoehorn in Christie for the Russia game at least, he's probably the most in form player in the country right now and outstanding going forward, it would mean having to move away from the 4-3-3 formation Clarke likes for me and maybe move into a classic Scotland 4231 formation:

Marshall

O'Donnell Hanley Mulgrew Robertson

McGregor McLean

Forrest Christie Fraser

McBurnie

Suppose you could go 433 but if that's the case Christie would most likely be dropped for McGinn you'd think, it's a tough one!

10 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Brutal defensive and striking options. Without McKenna and Tierney our defence looks absolutely shite. 

Marshall

Robertson
Cooper
Mulgrew
O'Donnell (surely there's better options than him for RB?)

McGinn
McTominay

Forrest
Christie
Fraser

McBurnie

Hope if Mcginn is picked it's not in that role. He's never been anything but poor when asked to play a deep role for Scotland.

44 minutes ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

It’s a fantastic idea utilised to great effect by many teams, not least Liverpool, using a false 9 to allow Salah and Mane the freedom to attack with 3 in midfield behind them

Ryan Christie ffs

Slightly different when you are liverpool. They will dominate games. We are playing Belgium so won't have much of the ball therefore we need someone up front who will hold the ball up whilst our midfield catches up. Snodgrass wont do that.

40 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Also, I have never witnessed Callum McGregor do anything in a Scotland shirt to merit him keeping his place over Christie. Christie is a far better player IMO.

They should both be playing. McGregor sits deeper and Christie sits behind the strikers. 

55 minutes ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

He really is, he’s playing in the English Premiership

Christie looks good playing in a Mickey Mouse league in the best team

He wouldn’t even get in West Ham’s bench

Put Snodgrass in that Celtic side and he’d win all the player of the year awards and bang in a barrowload of goals

shut up

5 minutes ago, Aufc said:

I am intrigued as to why?

It's fairly obvious and doesn't need explained.  Well to those with functioning eyes and brains.

I would go:

Marshall

O’Donnell    Hanley   Mulgrew   Robertson

McTominay

Armstrong          Christie

Forrest                                                         Fraser

McBurnie

Given we'll have to throw one of Hanley and Cooper in, I'd go with Hanley as he has a decent number of caps already (actually quite a lot by current standards). He was also quite promising when he first played for Scotland. The rest of the defence & keeper basically picks itself.

I've been quite impressed with McTominay recently. He doesn't offer much on the ball but he has good awareness and makes sure the oppositions attacking runners are always picked up, which is something I don't think Scotland generally do very well. Armstrong, in spite of limited game time, should always start and (as I've yet to be properly impressed by McGinn), I'd have Christie alongside him.

Again the wingers/striker pick themselves.

The decision to only call up three centrebacks is very odd, even if we are at home for both matches. If any centreback gets injured in the Russia game, you'll have to call up someone for the bench for Belgium, who surely would have been better off spending the whole week prior with the squad.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

40 minutes ago, Jaggy Snake said:

I would go:

Marshall

O’Donnell    Hanley   Mulgrew   Robertson

McTominay

Armstrong          Christie

Forrest                                                         Fraser

McBurnie

Given we'll have to throw one of Hanley and Cooper in, I'd go with Hanley as he has a decent number of caps already (actually quite a lot by current standards). He was also quite promising when he first played for Scotland. The rest of the defence & keeper basically picks itself.

I've been quite impressed with McTominay recently. He doesn't offer much on the ball but he has good awareness and makes sure the oppositions attacking runners are always picked up, which is something I don't think Scotland generally do very well. Armstrong, in spite of limited game time, should always start and (as I've yet to be properly impressed by McGinn), I'd have Christie alongside him.

Again the wingers/striker pick themselves.

The decision to only call up three centrebacks is very odd, even if we are at home for both matches. If any centreback gets injured in the Russia game, you'll have to call up someone for the bench for Belgium, who surely would have been better off spending the whole week prior with the squad.

I think the issue is potentially lack of fitness for the CB's

McKenna and Finlay would potentially have been picked had they not got injured at the weekend, and Souttar isn't fit either. 2 of those would have been called up definitely. It looks as though Clarke might still call up another if they can get fit in time. If neither McKenna or Findlay gets themselves fit, that could be Devlin at Aberdeen, Davie Bates (although not yet played at Sheff) or potentially Craig Halkett who has started off the season well.

23 hours ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

Good to see Snodgrass back

I’d go without a striker and play with a false 9 and allow Forrest and Fraser more freedom, using them to hit on the break

Belgium play with 3 central defenders and 2 attacking full backs so this would be a good tactic against them

Marshall

Palmer

Hanley

Cooper

Robertson

McGinn

McTominay

McGregor

Forrest

Snodgrass

Fraser

Hi buddy.

See because our cbs are shite and our midfield options are amazing? How about this:

755608699_ScreenShot2019-08-28at15_56_51.png.98ec3799e3799dba380f27e4c470fc5b.png

It's fairly obvious and doesn't need explained.  Well to those with functioning eyes and brains.

Christie is on form at the moment so dont really see why people saying he should be starting is that ridiculous?