"Alright Grandad..."

On 07/07/2019 at 22:28, Silverton End said:

Jeans with a zip fly are far preferable to button fly

#arthriticfingers

The one example I would use to disagree with that would be if you go on holiday and you have miscounted your underwear and find yourself short of boxers for the last day or two of your trip and you have to go commando. I wouldn't want a zip for fear of it working it's way down and exposing myself or for the obvious terrifying skin trapped in zipper scenario. 

This was basically me at Gatwick last week.

5 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

The one example I would use to disagree with that would be if you go on holiday and you have miscounted your underwear and find yourself short of boxers for the last day or two of your trip and you have to go commando. I wouldn't want a zip for fear of it working it's way down and exposing myself or for the obvious terrifying skin trapped in zipper scenario. 

This was basically me at Gatwick last week.

And that. m'lud, is the case for the defence.

2 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Most music nowadays is shite.

Popular opinion but probably not true. It's that today's good music has to be searched for and we old duffers can't be bothered. My formative years were the 60s and 70s. There was plenty of dross then, too. But we had the energy and curiosity to seek and find the good stuff.

20 hours ago, Bold Rover said:

Popular opinion but probably not true. It's that today's good music has to be searched for and we old duffers can't be bothered. My formative years were the 60s and 70s. There was plenty of dross then, too. But we had the energy and curiosity to seek and find the good stuff.

Nah I disagree. Music today is shite. 

On my Spotify I like to collate all the music I like from each year that i've been a subscriber into a new playlist. Every Friday that means trawling through the tunes on "New Music Friday" and listening to whats trending as well as what they have in their charts. This year the pickings have been extremely lean. Every other track appears to be yet another tuneless rap churned out by people who could be reading from a takeaway food menu for all I can make it out. 

My theory on it is that back in our day record companies had teams of experts ploughing through every track. They'd want at least 2 or 3 good tracks before signing off on an album and stuff that really missed the mark simply didn't make it out to the public. These days any old chump with a computer and the right software can put together a track and publish it on Spotify without any kind of filter. Live music isn't any better. Much of it has been dumbed down to people singing along to a sound track while kidding on they are playing their instruments. 

God I feel old.

22 hours ago, Bold Rover said:

These were my formative decades too and it didn’t take a great deal of energy to find the good stuff.  There was more of it proportionally and it easily outshone the crap.

32 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

These were my formative decades too and it didn’t take a great deal of energy to find the good stuff.  There was more of it proportionally and it easily outshone the crap.

I was born in 1981, but the musical highlight of my week is always listening to Sounds of the 60s on Radio 2 on a Saturday morning

15 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I was born in 1981, but the musical highlight of my week is always listening to Sounds of the 60s on Radio 2 on a Saturday morning

Try Johnnie Walker's seventies equivalent, Sundays at 3.

Nah I disagree. Music today is shite. 
On my Spotify I like to collate all the music I like from each year that i've been a subscriber into a new playlist. Every Friday that means trawling through the tunes on "New Music Friday" and listening to whats trending as well as what they have in their charts. This year the pickings have been extremely lean. Every other track appears to be yet another tuneless rap churned out by people who could be reading from a takeaway food menu for all I can make it out. 
My theory on it is that back in our day record companies had teams of experts ploughing through every track. They'd want at least 2 or 3 good tracks before signing off on an album and stuff that really missed the mark simply didn't make it out to the public. These days any old chump with a computer and the right software can put together a track and publish it on Spotify without any kind of filter. Live music isn't any better. Much of it has been dumbed down to people singing along to a sound track while kidding on they are playing their instruments. 
God I feel old.
I'm surprised a decrepit old b*****d like managed to create a Spotify account

5 hours ago, Angusfifer said:

Nothing to beat the early 1980s with Simple Minds, The Teardrop Explodes, Talking Heads, The Fall etc in their pomp...

I always have a little mental disconnect before I remember that the early 1980s were almost 40 years ago. I still think of 'old' music as 1960's or early 1970's. Anything prior to me getting my first tape recorder.

And for the record; music has been shit ever since Stevie Ray Vaughan died.

If you are getting fed your music through radio stations then the music you are exposed to is for the most part going to be absolutely woeful. I've never heard the vast majority of my favourite songs on the radio.

My advice is to go onto Spotify, type in a band you like, go through the top tunes of all the other bands in the 'Fans Also Like' section, and go on a wonderful musical adventure. 

WDRV “The Drive” in Chicago is pretty good. Plays a lot of what I like and full length versions too.
For example the other morning all 11 minutes of George Thorogood’s version of “One Bourbon, One Scotch and One Beer”

20 hours ago, Shotgun said:

I always have a little mental disconnect before I remember that the early 1980s were almost 40 years ago. I still think of 'old' music as 1960's or early 1970's. Anything prior to me getting my first tape recorder.

And for the record; music has been shit ever since Stevie Ray Vaughan died.

As said before, Madness song Baggy trousers was released closer to the Second World War than now!!