"Alright Grandad..."

2 hours ago, supermik said:

As said before, Madness song Baggy trousers was released closer to the Second World War than now!!

A fun exercise is to take the age you are now, and subtract that from the year in which you were born. Then think of all the events in history which took place between those two dates. That's what it would be like for someone born today, in relation to the things which have happened in your lifetime.

I'll be 57 next month, so subtracting that from 1962, takes us to 1905. Two World Wars, The Russian revolution, the Holocaust, the end of the British Empire, the Cold War, space flight and much more. Then you think back to all the stuff that's happened in our lifetimes, which are history to someone born in 2019. It's kinda cool. 

4 hours ago, Shotgun said:

A fun exercise is to take the age you are now, and subtract that from the year in which you were born. Then think of all the events in history which took place between those two dates. That's what it would be like for someone born today, in relation to the things which have happened in your lifetime.

I'll be 57 next month, so subtracting that from 1962, takes us to 1905. Two World Wars, The Russian revolution, the Holocaust, the end of the British Empire, the Cold War, space flight and much more. Then you think back to all the stuff that's happened in our lifetimes, which are history to someone born in 2019. It's kinda cool. 

I did that - and I'm still be waiting to see Dundee win the Scottish Cup!  

On 19/07/2019 at 17:48, Mark Connolly said:

I was born in 1981, but the musical highlight of my week is always listening to Sounds of the 60s on Radio 2 on a Saturday morning

You must get up early for it!

Used to love starting the weekend with Brian Matthew.  Tony Blackburn at 6am, less so.

5 hours ago, hk blues said:

More chance of another two world wars.  

Not or sure whether or not to add ‘unfortunately’.

6 hours ago, hk blues said:

Somebody who was 57 when I was born saw Falkirk win something. I can't even imagine. 

3 hours ago, Lurkst said:

You must get up early for it!

Used to love starting the weekend with Brian Matthew.  Tony Blackburn at 6am, less so.

Blackburn's shows feature a brilliant selection of music, made totally unlistenable by the utter p***k of a presenter...

On 21/07/2019 at 19:34, Granny Danger said:

More chance of another two world wars.  

Not or sure whether or not to add ‘unfortunately’.

i'd hate to think you'd have to live through another 2 world wars

On 19/07/2019 at 16:02, Malky3 said:

My theory on it is that back in our day record companies had teams of experts ploughing through every track. They'd want at least 2 or 3 good tracks before signing off on an album and stuff that really missed the mark simply didn't make it out to the public. These days any old chump with a computer and the right software can put together a track and publish it on Spotify without any kind of filter. Live music isn't any better. Much of it has been dumbed down to people singing along to a sound track while kidding on they are playing their instruments. 

A decent theory, but Frank Zappa says it's actually the other way about. "Back in the day" record companies didn't have "music experts" ploughing through anything, they had executives who just wanted to make money and they knew nothing about music, so when they got a record on their desk they'd throw it out there and see if it made anything. If it made money then good, let them make more music. Nowadays you've got teams of these A&R wanks employed at record labels (normally some wanky hipster with a college degree in philosophy or some pish) who try and shape bands to they way they "think" people want bands to sound, rather than letting the actual creative people do what they feel is good. I don't think Simon Cowell is the devil in that respect, but he's a shining example of someone who shapes artists and singers to what he thinks is right rather than letting the actual talented person pave their own career. The interview is here:

Now if he's saying that sort of decline was happening in 1987, it's no surprise we've ended up with the mess of knobs who've just bought a laptop, illegally downloaded some music editor and started making songs just like the music they listen to in a club at the weekend.

Blackburn's shows feature a brilliant selection of music, made totally unlistenable by the utter p***k of a presenter...

I’m sure there’s a few other ‘mature’ members of the forum who, like myself, can remember back to the very early ‘70’s and that cùnt Blackburn doing the morning show on Radio 1, pulling in millions of listeners. He had just married Tessa Wyatt and every day, without fail, he would dedicate a cheesy, honey-dripping love dirge to his missus accompanied by some cloying, vomit-inducing words of lurve (which invariably he would deliver over the intro to said song)......then he had that fúcking ‘Arnold’ barking every 5minutes.......[emoji35]
I have hated that twat for 50 years and when all his BBC mates were getting lifted by the Yewtree Polis, I always expected his name to be next.........

2 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

I’m sure there’s a few other ‘mature’ members of the forum who, like myself, can remember back to the very early ‘70’s and that cùnt Blackburn doing the morning show on Radio 1, pulling in millions of listeners. He had just married Tessa Wyatt and every day, without fail, he would dedicate a cheesy, honey-dripping love dirge to his missus accompanied by some cloying, vomit-inducing words of lurve (which invariably he would deliver over the intro to said song)......then he had that fúcking ‘Arnold’ barking every 5minutes.......emoji35.png
I have hated that twat for 50 years and when all his BBC mates were getting lifted by the Yewtree Polis, I always expected his name to be next.........

He dedicated one programme to Tessa when she saw sense and binned the c**t.

His dribbling into the microphone was cringey yet hilarious in equal measure.

2 hours ago, Zen Archer said:

He dedicated one programme to Tessa when she saw sense and binned the c**t.

His dribbling into the microphone was cringey yet hilarious in equal measure.

I may have heard that at the time, I certainly heard about it at the time.

On 20/07/2019 at 03:19, Shotgun said:

I always have a little mental disconnect before I remember that the early 1980s were almost 40 years ago. I still think of 'old' music as 1960's or early 1970's. Anything prior to me getting my first tape recorder.

And for the record; music has been shit ever since Stevie Ray Vaughan died.

It's a career where lasting to Pension age is never a given, but Tom Petty* (and, years ago, Freddie Mercury) have made me think there's a few folk I want to see live before the inevitable happens. Alice Cooper next year (if he makes it) will be the next one. I should say that I'm only interested in those who are still relevant or at least making new music - the Stones are now an extremely expensive tribute band, so they can fúck off. Most of the current big tickets (Maiden, Kiss) I saw in the seventies and eghties. Shared my chips with Steve Harris on Ayr Seafront before a gig at the Piv, in fact. Good times.

*Especially Tom, as I'd passed up the chance for his Hyde Park gig in order to go to Paris for a few days. Sacre Coeur, The Arc de Triomphe, and Notre dame (just) are still there, but I'll never hear Refugee or Running down a Dream as they should sound.

It's a career where lasting to Pension age is never a given, but Tom Petty* (and, years ago, Freddie Mercury) have made me think there's a few folk I want to see live before the inevitable happens. Alice Cooper next year (if he makes it) will be the next one. I should say that I'm only interested in those who are still relevant or at least making new music - the Stones are now an extremely expensive tribute band, so they can fúck off. Most of the current big tickets (Maiden, Kiss) I saw in the seventies and eghties. Shared my chips with Steve Harris on Ayr Seafront before a gig at the Piv, in fact. Good times.
*Especially Tom, as I'd passed up the chance for his Hyde Park gig in order to go to Paris for a few days. Sacre Coeur, The Arc de Triomphe, and Notre dame (just) are still there, but I'll never hear Refugee or Running down a Dream as they should sound.

I came very close to going to Hyde Park but had a family holiday in Florida the next month and couldn’t justify the cost
F*ck you Mickey Mouse

3 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

😀 No euph here. A simpler time, maybe, but you actually got to meet the performers quite a lot back then. Especially in venues where the music license finished earlier than the drink license.

My biggest achievement, in this respect, was pressing the flesh with Tony TS McPhee of the Groundhogs at QMU c1977.