"Alright Grandad..."

10 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I'll give you old. 41 years ago tonight I went to see The Clash at The Apollo.

http://www.glasgowapollo.com/index.asp?s_id=1&m_id=14&yr=1978

The 55th anniversary of my first gig will be later this year.

3 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I think they're those loafer  things that Shandon Par and now Silverton End keep going on about.

Don't associate me with those monstrosities! If I ever start wearing something like that or show an interest in gardening it will be time to have me put down like an old dog. 

17 hours ago, whiskychimp said:

We've already established you guys use a multitude of incorrect words and phrases. 

Nah, not having this.

In every other country, like NE Scotland,  a 'half and half' is something with two ingredients of equal measure.   Only if it was the lunacy a half pint of beer mixed together with a half pint of whisky could it possibly be classed as a half and half.  This is why a nip and a half pint is called a 'nip and a half', to correctly distinguish it from a mixture of drinks (e.g. bitter and IPA) within the same glass.  

Using the half and half term for the whisky option is clearly something reserved for the social bubble that uses names likes of roll 'n' sausage (see previous page) / square sausage and can't say basic words such as 'definitely' correctly.  The rest of the civilised world kens the script.  ;)   

19 hours ago, whiskychimp said:

I agree wuth you but dispute your "nip and a half". Its a "half and a half" in grandad speak. 

23 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Nah, not having this.

In every other country, like NE Scotland,  a 'half and half' is something with two ingredients of equal measure.   Only if it was the lunacy a half pint of beer mixed together with a half pint of whisky could it possibly be classed as a half and half. 

Whisky and beer being sold using different units of measure.  A half gill of whisky and a half pint of beer naturally got abbreviated to a 'half and a half'.  Makes perfect sense.

A nip and a half is a quarter gill and a half of beer.

Edited by The_Kincardine

I have to agree with Kink here 🤢
It was always a half and a half in the auld mannie pubs I’d frequent in Caithness, Aberdeen and all points in between.
I also doubt that the majority of today’s P&Bers Ken fit a Gill even is/was

8 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Whisky and beer being sold using different units of measure.  A half gill of whisky and a half pint of beer naturally got abbreviated to a 'half and a half'.  Makes perfect sense.

A nip and a half is a quarter gill and a half of beer.

So a single nip (35ml) and a half pint would be a 'quarter and a half'.  Hence unless it's a double dram, a 'half and half' makes no sense at all.

Therefore...

single whisky and half pint = nip and a half

double whisky and half pint = half (gill) and half (pint)

54 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

So a single nip (35ml) and a half pint would be a 'quarter and a half'.  Hence unless it's a double dram, a 'half and half' makes no sense at all.

Therefore...

Got it. 

Tight teuchters drink singles.

Good bois drink half gills 

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

Therefore...

Only in Scotland could a double be a half.

In the days when spirits were measured in gills the most common dram was one-fifth. If you were fortunate you might find pubs that served a quarter gill. In England it was typically one-sixth. Irish pubs, as ever more civilised than the Brits often served a third of a gill measures...