2019/20 West League 1

Shire 7 bellshill 1 our scorers mark Thompson 2 Logan McIntyre Paul butler Graeme bodman Jordan Fraser and David Quinn started game slowly should have been couple of goals behind before we scored a couple of quick goals and were then always a threat on the break and very clinical

Was back at Lochburn yesterday for another game with the Fife not playing. Even first half and the Hill only really conceding by putting themselves under pressure. Second half Carluke ran riot though, number 7 on the right hand side had an absolute stormer and their number 6 in the middle of the park was absolutely everywhere. 

As an aside, my mates and I were motivated along to go see Maryhill partly as we're in Glasgow so can't see our own teams as much as we'd like, but also chose the Hill after their recent financial worries and issues last year/before. That's my second game this season, and maybe Carluke have a bigger travelling support, but the whole place looked a lot busier with a lot more going on, the pub was busier, and I notice on twitter there is some discussion about trying to get into the pyramid. Looks like the club's beginning to turn a real corner. 

East Kilbride Thistle P-P Girvan
Glasgow Perthshire 7-1 Belshill Athletic
Greenock 1-1 Lesmahagow
Lanark United P-P Port Glasgow
Larkhall Thistle 0-1 Ardrossan Winton Rovers
Maryhill 1-4 Carluke Rovers
Shettleston 1-0 Kello Rovers
Wishaw 3-2 Royal Albert

3 hours ago, Big Fifer said:

Was back at Lochburn yesterday for another game with the Fife not playing. Even first half and the Hill only really conceding by putting themselves under pressure. Second half Carluke ran riot though, number 7 on the right hand side had an absolute stormer and their number 6 in the middle of the park was absolutely everywhere. 

As an aside, my mates and I were motivated along to go see Maryhill partly as we're in Glasgow so can't see our own teams as much as we'd like, but also chose the Hill after their recent financial worries and issues last year/before. That's my second game this season, and maybe Carluke have a bigger travelling support, but the whole place looked a lot busier with a lot more going on, the pub was busier, and I notice on twitter there is some discussion about trying to get into the pyramid. Looks like the club's beginning to turn a real corner. 

Carluke have  a very small support at home games, and even fewer at away games! 

They were by far the better team , and fully deserved to win, although Maryhill were without their two main strikers.

Estimated attendance was around 110. Full match report at Maryhill FC Facebook page.

7 hours ago, hollerman said:

They were by far the better team , and fully deserved to win, although Maryhill were without their two main strikers.

Estimated attendance was around 110. Full match report at Maryhill FC Facebook page.

Carluke's top man was in the stands as well. So I'd say it evens itself out.

Edited by Hoopsman

On 09/02/2020 at 16:10, hollerman said:

Fair enough, bodes well for the Hill mind. 6 months between my games and felt like there was significantly more people there. How do these crowds compare at this level? I think there's definite potential for the club to grow, especially considering where it is in proximity to universities and being so close to the city centre. A potential tie-up with Partick Thistle to get their kids in on loan every now and then worth trying?

23 hours ago, Big Fifer said:

Fair enough, bodes well for the Hill mind. 6 months between my games and felt like there was significantly more people there. How do these crowds compare at this level? I think there's definite potential for the club to grow, especially considering where it is in proximity to universities and being so close to the city centre. A potential tie-up with Partick Thistle to get their kids in on loan every now and then worth trying?

Previous two home games had around 130 and 160, although the latter was against Ardrossan, who brought a few more supporters than most teams in this league. 

Would say that Hill still have higher home crowds than most in this league, despite being in the bottom half of the league.

On 08/02/2020 at 18:51, the shire said:

Shire 7 bellshill 1 our scorers mark Thompson 2 Logan McIntyre Paul butler Graeme bodman Jordan Fraser and David Quinn started game slowly should have been couple of goals behind before we scored a couple of quick goals and were then always a threat on the break and very clinical

A very strong performance with Billy having to rejig defensively but to a man entire team,subs included were outstanding.Some of the goals...Pauls a stunning edge of the box curler after brushing aside the CB to manipulate the space...then young Jordan firing a wonderful effort past the keeper.With Thommo dominant from our set plays by Logan,who also scored a well taken goal after great work from Ryan.Graeme rounded off a strong CF performance with the penalty having already been denied with the tightest of offsides and cracking the post.As i said even the subs were pivotal with David notching yet again a goal with his first touch...NAE PRESSURE next match lol.Billy building a strong squad in what has been the epitome of a stop start season that showed eary promise...Now after all the setbacks we are starting to see the lads gelling and showing some consistency.Hopefully we get the chance to keep things going this weekend.From a fans view massive thanks to the gaffer and squad for their efforts.

Can’t see many games making it this weekend unfortunately
Kello have took advantage of Cumnock juniors 3g being available this weekend and have switched kello v EK to Cumnock, kello pitch would never have been playable and is currently under snow, in saying that another storm forecast for Saturday so not even sure the 3g will make it, also just heard EK have parted ways with manager after 3 weeks??

3 hours ago, spit said:
On 11/02/2020 at 16:21, Hong Kong Phooey said:
Can’t see many games making it this weekend unfortunately

Kello have took advantage of Cumnock juniors 3g being available this weekend and have switched kello v EK to Cumnock, kello pitch would never have been playable and is currently under snow, in saying that another storm forecast for Saturday so not even sure the 3g will make it, also just heard EK have parted ways with manager after 3 weeks??

The high winds forecast for the weekend will make any games played a lottery, even more so on 3g.

• 3 weeks later...

Shettleston 4   Larkhall Thistle 1

1st half the game was over...A blistering start seen the Town 2 up after about 10 mins...going in 4 up at ht

Central pairing of Howat and Ndlovu bossing the game from the 1st whistle before  being replaced late on......

Defensively sound throughout......and Steffan Graham up top was on fire

Larkhall's goal coming from a delightful free kick from Gracie.....

• 1 month later...

I do realise there are hundreds of posts elsewhere on this subject but, being parochial, what does the recent developments around the Pyramid mean for our division? I haven't kept up and wondered if it was possible to summarise how we may look next season ( whenever that may be) ?

Can I also say that I thoroughly enjoyed the season that has gone by. For example, I enjoyed my trips to Kello, which was a new experience. The food was great into the bargain.   Apart from the Larkhall pie, the low point was the pumping we took from Perthshire and the highlight was deservedly beating Pollok away in the cup semi with an understrength team.

I would love it if we could reconvene the same squad next season but realise that may well prove unlikely.

Best wishes to everyone in the league and good luck in the future.

Thought you were going to another thread, but you can't help yourself and keep butting in.

Its was a great wee season in the Division. We were slow out the traps and I'm sure bc57 will be delighted with Lanarks's position after coming up from League 2.

First trips to Carluke and the oldest ground in Scottish Junior Football at Larkhall. Tremendous Clubhouse at Gasworks Park and its wee museum of a hall.

Sadly lost a good friend yesterday in wee Les at Shettleston. Love the enthusiasm of Peter and the rest of his Committee at Royal Albert despite all the battles they have to face without complaint (well no many Peter!) Loved the short journeys up the coast and the passion that is that wee corner of Inverclyde with Greenock and the Port.

Raging that some arsehole decides it would be fun to set fire to Bellshills Clubhouse because they are bored, but destroy a Club's continuous hard  work to have a new home in the town.

Great hospitality and gracious in defeat when we stole the game at the Gow. Thanks Andy and committee.

Still enjoy our treks to Girvan and Kello after 40 year. Never easy places to go, but always made welcome.

Wishaw suffered the same as Bellshill in some moron burning down their Clubhouse. Was looking forward to Robert hosting us in the new set up they had work hard to build.

The hardest working guy in the League is wee Billy Adams up at Perthshire. Passionate is an under statement. But love going to Keppoch as its not a place for the faint hearted and it separates the men from the boys. You learn a lot about your own players after 90 minutes in Possil

So I wish you all good luck in the new League and hopefully meet you along the way.

Yes Peter some of us can take joy out of what we had, but we are happy to move on. You don't need to keep telling people about the demise of the Juniors, I think we know that we are moving to a new grade without you constantly butting in and seem to be reveling in it.

I've made a lot of good friends over the past 40 years, better people than some who post on here and look forward to keeping them, making new acquaintances and embracing the new challenges ahead.