2019/20 West League 1

2 hours ago, Hong Kong Phooey said:

Port Glasgow v The Gow is now being played on Friday the 29th of November at 7.30pm.

What’s your thoughts on these Friday night games?

I’m not that in favour of these games being played on a Friday night as I like my football on a Saturday and can’t see the benefit of switching.

Ardrossan have one of the best if not the best set up in this league but there floodlights are not suitable for night games. Our last game a couple of weeks ago on the Friday night was ridiculous and should not have been played.

Undoubtedly Friday night football is the way forward. (In moderation however)

You and any others who do not think so are stuck in the dark ages.

Undoubtedly Friday night football is the way forward. (In moderation however)

You and any others who do not think so are stuck in the dark ages.

Why ?

Can’t see bigger crowds going on a Friday night rather than a Saturday afternoon. Especially in the winter.

Not as many kids at games (future supporters, players, etc)

Costs must be higher with floodlights, security of opening grounds at night, etc?

10 hours ago, Hong Kong Phooey said:

Why ?

Can’t see bigger crowds going on a Friday night rather than a Saturday afternoon. Especially in the winter.

Not as many kids at games (future supporters, players, etc)

Costs must be higher with floodlights, security of opening grounds at night, etc?

You’re very negative. 

Any Friday night junior game I’ve been to has seen far higher crowds, you’re not competing against senior teams or even other juniors so you draw in from a far larger pool of supporters. Contrary to what you say this brings in more kids and brings an even greater connect to the community. 

Also, gives the boys a Saturday and Sunday off which is nice for them every now and again. 

14 hours ago, Hong Kong Phooey said:

Port Glasgow v The Gow is now being played on Friday the 29th of November at 7.30pm.

I’m not that in favour of these games being played on a Friday night as I like my football on a Saturday and can’t see the benefit of switching.

Ardrossan have one of the best if not the best set up in this league but there floodlights are not suitable for night games. Our last game a couple of weeks ago on the Friday night was ridiculous and should not have been played.

While I agree that moving games to Fridays should be used sparingly, for every regular you’ll lose through the gates for a night game you’ll more than likely gain at least two or three others.

Because it remains a novelty, there’s a greater sense of event for games under lights at this level which will attract casual supporters, fans of other clubs who wouldn’t otherwise go and neutrals.

You’re very negative. 

Any Friday night junior game I’ve been to has seen far higher crowds, you’re not competing against senior teams or even other juniors so you draw in from a far larger pool of supporters. Contrary to what you say this brings in more kids and brings an even greater connect to the community. 

Also, gives the boys a Saturday and Sunday off which is nice for them every now and again. 

Because I have an opinion I’m negative?

I understand the romance of playing under the lights and awe that but I prefer my Saturday afternoon games. That’s my opinion and asking for others.

Maybe because our night games so far this season are going to be Ardrossan and Port Glasgow on Friday nights at 7.30pm. We certainly don’t take as many supporters, youngsters, etc. to these games.

While I agree that moving games to Fridays should be used sparingly, for every regular you’ll lose through the gates for a night game you’ll more than likely gain at least two or three others.
Because it remains a novelty, there’s a greater sense of event for games under lights at this level which will attract casual supporters, fans of other clubs who wouldn’t otherwise go and neutrals.

That’s exactly what I was trying to find out from the teams that host these games. Is the gate, hospitality, etc greater ?

On 20/11/2019 at 21:08, lokforever said:

If you count all competetive games this season i make only Auchinleck and Pollok have scored more goals than yourselves but only 12 teams have conceded more goals.

Didn't realise either fact. Thanks . I suppose as long as we score more than the other team that should work out but, not always the case.  I'd take a drop off in our scoring rate if we could tighten up a bit.

3 hours ago, bc57 said:

What goes around comes around - having recently welcomed Gareth Hallford back we can also do likewise with John Henderson on loan from SBA.

BC, I used to come on here and give it tight to all things Lanark Utd, but you are the voice of reason, top man. Still hope we finish above you in the league, never lose it! 😀

21 minutes ago, John-nae Cash said:

BC, I used to come on here and give it tight to all things Lanark Utd, but you are the voice of reason, top man. Still hope we finish above you in the league, never lose it! 😀

Thank you.  I'd be delighted if We went up with you and Carluke again this season, in whatever order that ends up as ( you know my preference!)

Edited by bc57
Didn't complete response properly

1 hour ago, Hong Kong Phooey said:

2 nil down after 15 mins against Wishy but The Gow take the points with a well deserved 4.3 win. Bit of a scrappy game but wins a win.

Very similar at Lanark. 0-1 down after 2 minutes to another poor (own) goal but we were straight back in it and was thinking we would still run out comfortable winners based upon the early play. 2-1 up midway through the 1st half but didn't start well 2nd half, however we scored a 3rd and should have been able to exploit RA chasing the game. Their determination paid off when they scored a 2nd and we would not have been surprised if we'd conceded a 3rd such was how we were playing, even when they got a straight red on 85 mins.

As stated above, a win is a win and we are happy to take the three points despite not playing well.

Great to see our old stalwart John Renwick back at Lanark, marshalling his defence. Didn't kick anyone!

Edited by bc57
Forgot John Renwick

I like the odd Friday night game under the floodlights. It brings a better crowd down our way and a much better atmosphere.