2019/20 West League 1

Can only agree with RussellAnderson above (mainly because I was with him...). A glorious set up is Maryhill, an option we only took as the Fife were playing in country bumpkin town with ridiculous train prices and the Dons not playing at all. 100% the go-to option for a game when we can't make it to our own teams. Lovely pints, lovely stadium, lovely weather, and of course a great match.

Girvan had the better of it the first 15, but the goal settled Maryhill down and they were playing some nice stuff. Thought that hitting the woodwork just before half time might be the wake up call Girvan needed and it proved true, what a strike! Keeper might have moved better but even if he had, I doubt he was getting it. But my oh my, the winner. I was screaming for him to pass it for about 15 seconds before the ball was rattled into the top corner. A marvellous finish and a great end to the game. Side note, absolute cringe at the Girvan staff coming on and harassing the ref at the end. Seriously, who would be a lower leagues referee these days? They were screaming at him like 5 of their players had been shot in the last 10 minutes when really only one of the incidents MIGHT have been a penalty. There's absolutely no point in staff doing that to the ref, all you're doing is increasing the likelihood of him leaving and getting a lower standard ref. Secondly, am I right in saying Maryhill were going through some financial issues at the start of the season? What's the update on that? 

Anyway, a braw day out, I'll definitely be back. Mon the Hill. 

8 hours ago, Big Fifer said:

Can only agree with RussellAnderson above (mainly because I was with him...). A glorious set up is Maryhill, an option we only took as the Fife were playing in country bumpkin town with ridiculous train prices and the Dons not playing at all. 100% the go-to option for a game when we can't make it to our own teams. Lovely pints, lovely stadium, lovely weather, and of course a great match.

Girvan had the better of it the first 15, but the goal settled Maryhill down and they were playing some nice stuff. Thought that hitting the woodwork just before half time might be the wake up call Girvan needed and it proved true, what a strike! Keeper might have moved better but even if he had, I doubt he was getting it. But my oh my, the winner. I was screaming for him to pass it for about 15 seconds before the ball was rattled into the top corner. A marvellous finish and a great end to the game. Side note, absolute cringe at the Girvan staff coming on and harassing the ref at the end. Seriously, who would be a lower leagues referee these days? They were screaming at him like 5 of their players had been shot in the last 10 minutes when really only one of the incidents MIGHT have been a penalty. There's absolutely no point in staff doing that to the ref, all you're doing is increasing the likelihood of him leaving and getting a lower standard ref. Secondly, am I right in saying Maryhill were going through some financial issues at the start of the season? What's the update on that? 

Glad you guys enjoyed your day, and hope to see you back!

The issues we had over the summer were partly financial, but more to do with the gradual attrition of committee numbers…over the years, a lot of the older guys who had been doing it either passed on or were no longer able to take an active part to the point that last season there were only a handful left, which was a situation that was obviously untenable in the long run. This obviously led into financial matters as well, as there was no-one around to pursue new sponsorship avenues and so on.

The analogy I used in a recent programme was that we were like one of those fiercely independent OAPs who insists they’re fine and don’t need any help until things get so bad it’s almost too late…

Not before time, we put the call out in the summer that we needed folk to come on board if we were to carry on, and the response has been great – we’ve now got enough committed new people on board that that side of things seems to be sorted.

The next step of course is to start rebuilding the fanbase, which in the last couple of dismal years had shrunk to a hardcore...clearly any club's route to long-term sustainability is to make sure as many folk as possible come to the games. The last couple of home games have been encouraging in that respect, with about 150-160 there on Saturday and 200-odd at the previous game v Shettleston.

And that’s where punters like you come in, who hopefully enjoy their first experience enough to make a return visit, and in time maybe make it a regular thing…that’s how I got started anyway!

Edited by Hillonearth

Nice post.
Must agree with you regarding the Girvan staff, the manager is a clown🤡 and it was a total disgrace the way he and his staff went on. They aren’t professional enough, or good enough, to be managing Girvan. He’s needed back at the circus and he can take his staff with him. The only one who can be respected is Hoots Harvey as he was a good player.

2 hours ago, XXX said:

Nice post.
Must agree with you regarding the Girvan staff, the manager is a clown🤡 and it was a total disgrace the way he and his staff went on. They aren’t professional enough, or good enough, to be managing Girvan. He’s needed back at the circus and he can take his staff with him. The only one who can be respected is Hoots Harvey as he was a good player.

OMG seriously, was that Hoots Harvey

The Girvan management were one of the reasons for the defeat and of course, Maryhill play was the other..
The referee wasn't good for them, that's is true but some of their shouts were ridiculous. Shouting for stuff that no way was it a foul and then they would berate the referee, so common sense prevails, if you shout like that the next 50/50 decision will got against you.

Running onto the field of play straight to the referee on a threatening manner is wrong, so wrong

The referee is your friend, not your enemy.

Anyways I enjoyed the match so much I will be at Maryhill ground to watch their friendly V East Kilbride reserves, I'm expecting a few lads from the EKu21 team so its sure to be a good night, Tuesday night at Lochburn.

21 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

The Girvan management were one of the reasons for the defeat and of course, Maryhill play was the other..
The referee wasn't good for them, that's is true but some of their shouts were ridiculous. Shouting for stuff that no way was it a foul and then they would berate the referee, so common sense prevails, if you shout like that the next 50/50 decision will got against you.

Running onto the field of play straight to the referee on a threatening manner is wrong, so wrong

Anyways I enjoyed the match so much I will be at Maryhill ground to watch their friendly V East Kilbride reserves, I'm expecting a few lads from the EKu21 team so its sure to be a good night, Tuesday night at Lochburn.

From what I'm led to believe it's their SPFL reserve league side, though I've no doubt there will be some U21s and fringe first team players involved as well. To be fair, I doubt it'll be anything like our regular starting lineup either - we'll be assessing some trialists and giving others game time.

Should be an interesting game though - always good to see a game under the lights up there.

Edited by Hillonearth

Hoots had a great playing career and has a lot to offer as a coach with the experience he has. Sometimes his mouth runs away from him but I still respect him as a coach and ex-player.
I would keep him at the club.

21 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

From what I'm led to believe it's their SPFL reserve league side, though I've no doubt there will be some U21s and fringe first team players involved as well. To be fair, I doubt it'll be anything like our regular starting lineup either - we'll be assessing some trialists and giving others game time.

Should be an interesting game though - always good to see a game under the lights up there.

So disappointing first half.
Maryhill hit the post with a great shot from a cross cum pass from the left wing,  then EK went up the park and scored but called offside due to the infringing player who either touched the shot or blocked the keepers view, I was unsure what reason. Then EK scored from a header resulted from a corner on the EK right.  To be honest after 5 minute EK started to find their range of passing but the movement was the thing that killed Maryhill. The Maryhill center halfs, one was the captain, think he's just back from holiday or injury's so getting match sharp and the young center half were constantly exposed by the Maryhill midfield, Ek not only had one man free but at times seemed to have 2 due to their movement. I know a few of the EK boys, two u19 players now with the reserves and one from the Ek99s and the forward No 9. They all had good games, composed and moved Maryhill about.  Ht was 3.0 to Ek then they was whole sale changes as the manger stated in the dressing room before the game, it was more a team of their normal players but for me, when coaching this does not tell em anything, I think too many newbies or fringe players were in the first half and should have been speared about with more first team players playing beside them which would give you more an idea, as the right back was a newbie, the young center half was a newbie and the captain just coming back, I believe and the left back, sweet left foot but we found out quite a few times by the impressive wing play of the EK right wing.  Maryhill did look more composed but it was due tot he two current center halfs playing and two midfielders were told to play deeper so they weren't over run. A wee melee ensued which Maryhill should have score 3 times over, lolol but the ball bounced back and was hit home by the Maryhill player.  I left with 15 minutes to go at 1.3 so not sure how it finished.

just wanna say, it as a friendly and it was nice that one of the staff came out and passed about a 2 page programme on tonight's game, a nice wee thought, thanks guys (thumb)

Great result & performance from the Carluke boys yesterday to get the 3 points ,It was a tough match but Carluke created plenty chances in the first half but couldn't put the pall in the net until the 41st min when a great cross ball was met by the head of Carluke's top scorer Lafferty & he directed the ball I to the bottom corner, Greenock equalized on the stroke of half time , Second half was much like the first with both teams pushing hard then about the 75th min Carluke were reduced to ten men for a second caution & Greenock tried to use the extra man advantage but couldn't find a way through the carluke defence ,on the 85th min during a Carluke attack the ball broke out the box to Carlukes McDonald about 20 yards out & he struck the perfect shot that ricochet off the underside of the bar then off the line before hitting the roof of the net to give Carluke the lead , Greenock tried hard to get back in but the carluke defence held firm & Carluke ran out 2-1 winners

Lanark 4 Girvan 1  - what a comeback by wee Chucky Watt!  His first game since sustaining a bad knee injury in our first 'friendly' of the season v Forth in the Clydesdale Cup and he scores a hat trick!  I believe Shug Kerr, who scored the opener has scored 25 goals already this season. With wee Chucky back we are going to have a big say in the promotion race this season.

Believe we had ex Larkhall keeper McGraw ( ?) making his debut after a couple of shaky performances by our young keeper recently.

And there was me on holiday and missed it all!  Back for the top of the table clash at Bellshill next weekend.

On 15/09/2019 at 16:08, bc57 said:

Lanark 4 Girvan 1  - what a comeback by wee Chucky Watt!  His first game since sustaining a bad knee injury in our first 'friendly' of the season v Forth in the Clydesdale Cup and he scores a hat trick!  I believe Shug Kerr, who scored the opener has scored 25 goals already this season. With wee Chucky back we are going to have a big say in the promotion race this season.

Believe we had ex Larkhall keeper McGraw ( ?) making his debut after a couple of shaky performances by our young keeper recently.

And there was me on holiday and missed it all!  Back for the top of the table clash at Bellshill next weekend.

Colin McGraw has signed so we would seem to have 3 keepers on our books.

22 hours ago, bc57 said:

Colin McGraw has signed so we would seem to have 3 keepers on our books.

And then there were two.  Gareth has signed for Gartcairn I've been told.  It is a pity that both sides couldn't settle their differences. Best keeper we've had in my time watching Lanark.

Good luck to him, as long as it starts the week after next 😉

Lanark well beaten in the end against the best team we have played this season. We had a few chances but we were just not on it today. Nothing on the bench to challenge the 11on the park, which is the worry. 4 key players missing which is hindering us.

Thankfully a grass park but not a great watch at Bellshill.  My pie was just OK.

2 hours ago, Hong Kong Phooey said:

Another game I don’t know how we didn’t win!!!! Crazy goal in the second half and not scoring is the logical reason but how we came away from that came today with nothing is a shocking. Fair play to Shettleston with the 1 nil win.

cant remember our keeper having to work his socks off....the same as your own.....no clear chances so dont see how u should have won the game....as for the goal,great kick out from McLean and finish was neat from Graham.....

2 hours ago, bc57 said:

Lanark well beaten in the end against the best team we have played this season. We had a few chances but we were just not on it today. Nothing on the bench to challenge the 11on the park, which is the worry. 4 key players missing which is hindering us.

Thankfully a grass park but not a great watch at Bellshill.  My pie was just OK.

I've got to agree that Bellshill are the best team we've met in the league so far.  We can't continue to think we can push for promotion with a bench full of boys.  I accept we've had a horrendous run of luck with injuries but we need a couple of seasoned juniors to complement a decent squad.