2019/20 West League 1

Lanark pulled back a 0-2 ht deficit to draw 2-2 with Glasgow Perthshire.

Our defence continued the trend of conceding 2 soft goals, the second right on half time.  Perthshire a warded a very iffy penalty which our keeper saved. Thought they could have been awarded a penalty in the 1st minute however.

A Conlon header and a Kerr penalty ( his 22nd goal of the season!) got us back in it.

To illustrate how we are struggling to put a team out we had to get our ex stalwart captain, 37 year old Davie Gray  out of retirement today. I believe it is a couple of years since he has played apart from 5's!  It really is shocking to have seen the  state the players are in physically after the game , having played so many games in the past 5 weeks.

I am praying for rain all week and hoping the infamous EK pitch does us a good turn and is off next weekend.

10 minutes ago, bc57 said:

Lanark pulled back a 0-2 ht deficit to draw 2-2 with Glasgow Perthshire.

Our defence continued the trend of conceding 2 soft goals, the second right on half time.  Perthshire a warded a very iffy penalty which our keeper saved. Thought they could have been awarded a penalty in the 1st minute however.

A Conlon header and a Kerr penalty ( his 22nd goal of the season!) got us back in it.

To illustrate how we are struggling to put a team out we had to get our ex stalwart captain, 37 year old Davie Gray  out of retirement today. I believe it is a couple of years since he has played apart from 5's!  It really is shocking to have seen the  state the players are in physically after the game , having played so many games in the past 5 weeks.

I am praying for rain all week and hoping the infamous EK pitch does us a good turn and is off next weekend.

doing no bad for a team who is struggling to get a team on the park for games.....

1 minute ago, Town Crier said:

doing no bad for a team who is struggling to get a team on the park for games.....

Schoolboys on the bench.  My concern is what they are going to suffer injury wise due to the fatigue.

Another great 3 points for winton, starting to get going now.

We never turned up and paid the price. Again inconsistency with us! We can never seem to get a run of results going our way!

All the best for the remainder good team there at Winton

Went to my local team for the first time today, Maryhill v Girvan. What a super day out. Pints in the clubbie before hand, watching a hard fought first half with Maryhill taking a lead. Probably slightly undeserved as Girvan had a lot of chances early doors. Pints in the second half is something I can very much get behind! Maryhill played some lovely stuff second half, but we’re undone by a super strike by a Girvan defender from the edge of the box on the half volley as the ball broke from a set piece. Maryhill’s winner was something else though, Arjen Robben-esque! Winger cuts in from the left on his right and pings it top bins. Magnificent ground, reasonably priced all round, sun out and we had a fiver on the ‘Hill.

Magic. I’ll certainly be back.

Went to my local team for the first time today, Maryhill v Girvan. What a super day out. Pints in the clubbie before hand, watching a hard fought first half with Maryhill taking a lead. Probably slightly undeserved as Girvan had a lot of chances early doors. Pints in the second half is something I can very much get behind! Maryhill played some lovely stuff second half, but we’re undone by a super strike by a Girvan defender from the edge of the box on the half volley as the ball broke from a set piece. Maryhill’s winner was something else though, Arjen Robben-esque! Winger cuts in from the left on his right and pings it top bins. Magnificent ground, reasonably priced all round, sun out and we had a fiver on the ‘Hill.

Braw wee ground. Big fan of the rather unusual elevated seating area behind the far end goals & the low hanging lip on roof of the terracing

Braw wee ground. Big fan of the rather unusual elevated seating area behind the far end goals & the low hanging lip on roof of the terracing

Totally agree. The pitch is sunk in pretty much all the way around which gives you a cracking view of the action. The almost symmetrical enclosure of that enclosure is very satisfying.

1 hour ago, RussellAnderson said:

Maryhill is probably my favourite away ground.  Great wee set up, good sized enclosure and you can't complain if there's a pub there too.

All for a fiver!

1 down in first minute.  One of our youngsters equalises 60 seconds later with a super finish to a good move. 2-1 down in 6 minutes and 3-1 on 21 minutes. We continue to lose shitty goals, which all 3 were today. Pulled one back 30 seconds after the restart and then proceeded to batter EK. Lost count of the chances we missed, the blocks they made and the superb saves their keeper made until we equalised on 88 minutes. Still time for Dougie Imrie to miss a golden chance on the 90th minute whilst through one on one with the keeper.

Our 3 holiday makers will be back next week along with 2 of our 5 injured players which gives me confidence for the matches ahead.

EK in the best nick I have ever seen it today.

Took in the Kello v Shettleston game today, to say the ref was poor would be an understatement.

Kello went one up with an early penalty, Shettleston then  levelled from the spot after the Kello keeper was booked for bringing a player down in the box. They then went 2-1 up after the Kello keeper again brought a player down in the box in a carbon copy of the first foul. A second booking and the keeper had to go, but no the ref decided not to give him a yellow for the second pen, that surprised a lot of folk.

He wasn't to stay on the park long though. Shettleston were awarded a soft free kick on the edge of the Kello box, in the melee that followed the Shettleston no9 stuck the nut on the Kello no8, which saw the Kello keeper given a straight red for getting involved and throwing a punch at the no9 and the Shettleston no9 was booked. Obviously this enraged the Kello players and support. The refs explanation was that he didn't see the head butt, so why the booking?

Into the second half and for 20-25 mins it was fairly even, but with the ref still baffling both sets of players and managements with his decisions. Shettlestons two second half goals both coming from headers from corners and although Kello had chances Shettleston did enough to see out the game and take the points.