2019/20 West League 1

17 hours ago, bc57 said:

Comfortable win for Lanark today. Shug Kerr scored 4 first half goals. Dropped off a bit second half. Maryhill captain scored a screamer before we scored a twice taken penalty to finish it off at 1-5.

Maryhill defence/keeper had some howlers today.

Well done to Lanark, but Kerr will rarely get such gift wrapped opportunities. The third, in particular, should get an award for high comedy content!

9 hours ago, hollerman said:

Well done to Lanark, but Kerr will rarely get such gift wrapped opportunities. The third, in particular, should get an award for high comedy content!

If he hadn't scored the keeper would have been shown a red for hand ball outside the area.

Lanark appear to have made a good signing in the shape of John Boal from Shotts.  made an impressive debut yesterday.

We needed strengthening at left back following long term injuries to Craig Stark and Sam Johnstone.

18 hours ago, bc57 said:

If he hadn't scored the keeper would have been shown a red for hand ball outside the area.

Ah, good point. I hadn't thought of that, although I have seen keepers only get a yellow for a similar offence. Of course, if you think of it as denying a goal scoring opportunity, which it would have been, then def a red!

But, let's face it, missing it was never really on. I am 68, and have a bad back, but pretty confident I would have scored in that situation.

7 hours ago, hollerman said:

Ah, good point. I hadn't thought of that, although I have seen keepers only get a yellow for a similar offence. Of course, if you think of it as denying a goal scoring opportunity, which it would have been, then def a red!

But, let's face it, missing it was never really on. I am 68, and have a bad back, but pretty confident I would have scored in that situation.

Ah but, would you have put the fear of death in the keeper and his defensive colleagues as Shug did to lead to the aforementioned gaffe?

21 hours ago, bc57 said:

Ah but, would you have put the fear of death in the keeper and his defensive colleagues as Shug did to lead to the aforementioned gaffe?

Yes, probably. The way the Maryhill defence has been playing recently, it's not too difficult!

Seriously etc, I have seen Lanark a few times recently, and have been impressed. I have followed the fortunes of Maryhill for many years, but now live four miles from Lanark, so they are my local team!

8 hours ago, larky9 said:

Lanark 0 v Larkhall Thistle 3

No doubt who the man of the match was last night. Larkhall keeper, who I believe is not even first choice, had 8 excellent saves last night plus had one saved off the line.  We missed a pile of chances whilst Larkhall took advantage of our defensive sloppiness in the first half to go 2 up.  Well done to them.

4 hours ago, bc57 said:

No doubt who the man of the match was last night. Larkhall keeper, who I believe is not even first choice, had 8 excellent saves last night plus had one saved off the line.  We missed a pile of chances whilst Larkhall took advantage of our defensive sloppiness in the first half to go 2 up.  Well done to them.

Pretty fair assessment it was definitely a good defensive display in the second half by Larkhall and in particular the goalkeeper however felt had the right choices been made in the final third by larkhall in the first half the game would have been over as a contest by half time.

If it’s the big boy that came on against us on Saturday, why is he not first keeper? He must have had 5 great saves against us and if Jack Currie hadn’t scored 3, that boy would definitely have been my man of the match.

3 hours ago, Benny Factor said:

Pretty fair assessment it was definitely a good defensive display in the second half by Larkhall and in particular the goalkeeper however felt had the right choices been made in the final third by larkhall in the first half the game would have been over as a contest by half time.

Larkhall had their chances too, no doubt but I don't recall our keeper making any saves of the quality and certainly not the quantity that yours did.  Both teams missed the target several times from good positions.