What is the best result your junior team has ever had? Mine would have to be beating Ayr Utd. Is this one of the biggest shocks in Scottish cup history?

Oh dear are yous lot up in Antarctica  still living off that. Yous haven’t kicked a ball since then. 

[emoji23]you're damn tooting ( I am) [emoji23] yes fading memories but memories none the less
Maybe next season [emoji848] yeah right [emoji23]

8 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

Purely in the Scottish Cup,

28/11/09

Irvine Meadow 1 Arbroath 0 Scottish Cup 3rd Round.

Had beaten Brora Rangers and Selkirk both away in previous rounds. The win over Arbroath was the first ever victory for a Junior team over a senior team in a competitive game, and set up a 4th round trip versus Hibs at Easter Road. The Arbroath fans had arrived predicting a very easy away win.

I was at that game and Meadow won pretty easily.

From memory the Arbroath team were at the bottom of Division 2/League 1 and their manager was sacked as a result of this game I think.    Can't believe that was nearly 10 years ago I took my papa to that game he was a massive Meadow fan.

I think you got Livingston in the next round and I remember thinking you had a chance of a shock but they were a level above - Bobby Barr in particular.

From memory the Arbroath team were at the bottom of Division 2/League 1 and their manager was sacked as a result of this game I think.    Can't believe that was nearly 10 years ago I took my papa to that game he was a massive Meadow fan.
I think you got Livingston in the next round and I remember thinking you had a chance of a shock but they were a level above - Bobby Barr in particular.

It was Hibs in the next round - 2009/10.

Medda v Livvy was 2011/12.

Livingston were a couple of seasons after and were completely outclassed by them. We were drawn away to Hibs after beating Arbroath.

I think yeah ayr utd game was the biggest in football but 92 Scottish junior cup final against the Alan rough glens at firhill has to be up there has they were favourites for some reason but we went there and did what we did and that was the road that kicked started our history again

Is Talbot beating Ayr that big of a shock though?

I've long held the opinion that the best Junior clubs could more than hold their own in League 1 or League 2. Ayr United have also been put out of cups by third and fourth tier teams like East Stirling, Queens Park, Montrose, Albion Rovers and Annan Athletic in the past decade or so. That Talbot team are arguably better than most of those teams were at the time.

I've long held the opinion that the best Junior clubs could more than hold their own in League 1 or League 2. Ayr United have also been put out of cups by third and fourth tier teams like East Stirling, Queens Park, Montrose, Albion Rovers and Annan Athletic in the past decade or so. That Talbot team are arguably better than most of those teams were at the time.

For all their strengths in Junior fitba, Talbot have had a bit of a blind spot in the senior - in recent times losing to Edinburgh City, Cumbernauld Colts, and Beith. That Ayr result changed that... maybe.

For all their strengths in Junior fitba, Talbot have had a bit of a blind spot in the senior - in recent times losing to Edinburgh City, Cumbernauld Colts, and Beith. That Ayr result changed that... maybe.
What about beating Cove and Fraserburgh ?

32 minutes ago, Sunrise said:

Ironically Talbot  unwittingly put Largs out of the Scottish Cup.

No doubt about the Alberts greatest ever result beating the Ants 2-1 at McKenna Park for the Albert to get their first promotion in over 80 years not ashamed to say I was crying like a big wane and then to go on to win the league was even better

cmon the wee clubs 

It's difficult to compare clubs in different leagues against each other. A one-off cup game is an entirely different kettle-of-fish to a sustained 36-game league campaign. I've no doubt non-SPFL clubs like Talbot, East Kilbride,  Bonnyrigg etc could hold their own in League 2, although perhaps not setting it on fire. It's interesting to see how Edinburgh City have progressed since their promotion and what with Cove coming up for the coming season, there's finally starting to be movement at the bottom. Perhaps in the future we'll start to see more if we get a unified structure across the country.

I understand but officially there must be around 6 leagues of a difference?

5 hours ago, Talbot supporter said:
8 hours ago, TheIntenseHummingOfEvil said:

Where are you getting 6 leagues from?! I would have it as 2 and a half! The West Premier is stronger than the majority of the Lowland league teams. 

Albeit ...... a fantastic result, i suppose biggest shock could be confirmed by who was the biggest price at the bookies, from memory Talbot were 20/1, that takes some beating! 

Guest Moomintroll

In my time would have to be beating Ladeside to win the North Ayrshire Cup the year that the Buffs won everything else going. Typically on that day I was stuck in Edinburgh getting knocked out of a 5s tournament in the semifinals.

6 hours ago, Talbot supporter said:
9 hours ago, TheIntenseHummingOfEvil said:

The Junior setup is outwith the pyramid, so has no 'official' level. If you assume the West Prem is at the level below the Lowland/Highland leagues, on a par with the EoSFL Prem, then you could argue Talbot were four divisions below Ayr. If you argue the Junior setup comes below the EoS First, then it would be six divisions at the moment, although the EoS First didn't exist last season.

It's a difficult comparison as the SFL/SPL/SPFL has had changed its league structure over the years and the pyramid didn't exist so HFL/EoSFL/SoSFL weren't officially at any level either.

Has to be beating Talbot 3-0 at Beechwood in the big Scottish Cup - only junior team to ever beat them in the big Scottish and only Ayrshire team to have ever done so either. Winning Finals or League's can't compare surely.............................

Joking, there has been loads but winning the Scottish on pens v Pollok was a game changer finally winning the Holy Grail.