Embarrassing admissions

I was definitely an adult before I realised that news reports of "A 35 year old man is helping police with their enquiries" didn't mean that some publicly-spirited 35 year man had wandered into the police station to see if there was anything he could do to help. 
^^^ helped police with their enquiries at the age of 35

40 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

I was in a B&B in Conwy and selected 'Welsh rarebit' on the breakfast form the night before, having no idea what it was.  Perhaps I was just overly excited about trying some new exciting-sounding cuisine, but you can imagine my disappointment when I was given cheese on f***ing toast for breakfast. 

You'd have been even more disappointed if supermik had been staying there as well - it would just have been the toast.

Guest Moomintroll

Timmy the dog always enjoyed it when Julian spread lashings of peanut butter over his haversack and whistled for him. So did Julian.
Dick loved it more.

5 hours ago, RockMusic said:

The correct expression is welsh rabbit. Rarebit was added by toffs who didn't want to be associated with cheap rabbit meat. Welsh was added to nouns to mean a cheap or poor version of something ie: using your fingers to straighten your hair was using a welsh comb. Cheese was seen as a poor substitute for meat (rabbit, or otherwise), hence the name welsh rabbit. On a similar idea, many people think lunch is an abbreviated form of luncheon. Again, this is wrong - toffs wanted to make boring old lunch sound posher and created the ridiculous luncheon.

For me, the terms toffs and posh describes people who vote Tory, send their children to private schools, have a chateau in Switzerland, a timeshare in the Maldives, executive membership to the local golf club, regular visits to some club that still debates whether women can be members, tributes to whoever has just been born and is ninety-seventh to the throne, still getting Christmas cards from the laird of some estate that represents the dukedom of some county that no longer since regionalism.

Now you are saying it simply boils down to how you describe your cheese on toast.

Mind-blowing!

For me, the terms toffs and posh describes people who vote Tory, send their children to private schools, have a chateau in Switzerland, a timeshare in the Maldives, executive membership to the local golf club, regular visits to some club that still debates whether women can be members, tributes to whoever has just been born and is ninety-seventh to the throne, still getting Christmas cards from the laird of some estate that represents the dukedom of some county that no longer since regionalism.
Now you are saying it simply boils down to how you describe your cheese on toast.
Mind-blowing!

CHOOSE LIFE!

14 hours ago, RockMusic said:

I was in my thirties before realising that the correct lyrics to the well known Christmas carol were:

"Good King Wenceslas looked out"

and not what I'd thought for years:

"Good King Wencelas last looked out"

This is similar to the well known ditty 'Lord of the Dance' where it's quite easy to misinterpret the line 'I am the Lord of the Dance, said he' as 'I am the Lord of the brown settee'

When I got my first PC I didnt know what copy and paste was... didnt even know it existed.
I would spend ages typing out a link.
Can remember sitting cursing the longer links... especially if they didnt work.
Cant remember how long it took me to realise, but it was quite a while.
🤣

Now I work every day online with my own business.