Netherlands v Japan - BBC4 now

Just now, Savage Henry said:

That’s what it is. The rule is the rule, and its ridiculous.

I'm biased obviously, but according to the current laws of the game this is a penalty. Although even as biased as I am, I must admit I don't agree with this being a penalty. Definitely needs looking at.

Just now, Marten said:

I'm biased obviously, but according to the current laws of the game this is a penalty. Although even as biased as I am, I must admit I don't agree with this being a penalty. Definitely needs looking at.

I like the lack of grey area on handball tbh. It's harsh at times, like it was here, but lack of grey areas mean less refereeing shitebaggery, which is probably a bigger problem.

Very happy with the win. Although I must admit it wasn't a good game from The Netherlands and Japan could easily have won. They were lucky and definitely need to improve in the next game. This Dutch team can do much better than what they have shown tonight.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

Giving a penalty every time the ball goes into the box would also avoid grey areas, but just like this handball rule it would be utterly stupid.

Congratulations on coming up with possibly the dumbest fucking analogy ever.

Giving a penalty every time the ball goes into the box would also avoid grey areas, but just like this handball rule it would be utterly stupid.

All this came because they couldn’t think of a better word than “deliberate”.

1 minute ago, Scary Bear said:

So the rule of the game is now, blooter the ball as hard as you can at their arm and you’ll get a penalty? Mental.

Yep, it's mental. I can be hypocrite and agree with it now it benefits us, but this rule change was not for the better. According to the rules the penalty was the correct decision, no doubt about it. That doesn't mean the rules are fair though...

1 minute ago, The_Kincardine said:

Except, to use the old trope, the law's an arse.

That was never a penalty for those of us who like football.

Oh, I agree with you. Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with the rule change either. This needs looking at...

Just now, Principal Flutie said:

I think the only change I'd make is one which gives leeway to the defender if it looks like the attacker tried to get the handball, like in the CL final where it looked like that was what happened.

I don't think much was wrong with the old rule of intent. Obviously it can be debatable at times, but this one for example wasn't intentional.

1 minute ago, Principal Flutie said:

Congratulations on coming up with possibly the dumbest fucking analogy ever.

The point was that grey areas in the rules existed for a reason - as soon as you try to avoid them you get even more nonsense decisions than you had before.