Lowland Trapdoorwatch 2019-20

FairWeatherFan

19 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Gretna or Dalbeattie at that if relegated would basically walk the SOSFL thus practically giving them a play off wi the EOSFL champions. 

It's a far easier route to get to the LL for them as theyd probably struggle in the EOSFL premier  ?

Definitely Newky and boys wouldn’t be spending every 2nd Saturday in the back of a minibus. 

Unless the West juniors are forced to merge into the SoS, no team will come up from that pub league for at least the next 15 years.

I wouldn’t be so sure.

There’s quite a few things that can happen in that course of time.

1) Someone like Gretna could go down and would put up a good fight vs EoS champions, far from favourites but would be in with a strong shout.

2)You could have a ‘deserter’ from the juniors.

3) predicting who and when someone with deep pockets gets involved with a club is virtually impossible, there’s no reason why one of the SoS clubs wouldn’t suddenly get an investor. What their intentions are is never clear but someone may well turn up and put enough in to go up.

Their catchment area will be the  south of Scotland and/ or the north west of England. I imagine there is a sort of pecking order QOS will get the really good ones then Annan and after that it will be a scramble between tthe non league sides like Gretna and Dalbeattie.
A lot of it will be down to how much players are prepared to travel I suppose some guys I imagine will be happy to stay local on public park pitches as you call them while others will be prepared to travel. 

Are Annan not glasgow based these days? QoS certainly are, as are Stranraer.

North west English sides are probably the bigger threat here. Regardless the limited player pool will always cause issues, hence the spfl sides training in central belt.

1 hour ago, newcastle broon said:

Gretna or Dalbeattie at that if relegated would basically walk the SOSFL thus practically giving them a play off wi the EOSFL champions. 

It's a far easier route to get to the LL for them as theyd probably struggle in the EOSFL premier  ?

I don't think anyone coming down will walk the SOSFL. People thought that same of Threave going down and so far it has been 4th, 1st and 9th. There will be a bundle of clubs of a similar standard and they'd be stuck competing against each other.

1 hour ago, newcastle broon said:

Gretna or Dalbeattie at that if relegated would basically walk the SOSFL .

I would think if we ( Gretna ) went into the South League even more fans would desert us.

We barely get a 100 now at games.

I remember when we would have taken near that amount to away games.

Sponsership may go too.

I wonder is it worth while carrying on if we drop into that League.

Just my thoughts at the moment.

6 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

I wouldn’t be so sure.

There’s quite a few things that can happen in that course of time.

1) Someone like Gretna could go down and would put up a good fight vs EoS champions, far from favourites but would be in with a strong shout.

2)You could have a ‘deserter’ from the juniors.

3) predicting who and when someone with deep pockets gets involved with a club is virtually impossible, there’s no reason why one of the SoS clubs wouldn’t suddenly get an investor. What their intentions are is never clear but someone may well turn up and put enough in to go up.

Are Annan not glasgow based these days? QoS certainly are, as are Stranraer.

North west English sides are probably the bigger threat here. Regardless the limited player pool will always cause issues, hence the spfl sides training in central belt.

Annan signed a few guys from Workington in the pre season 

I would think if we ( Gretna ) went into the South League even more fans would desert us.
We barely get a 100 now at games.
I remember when we would have taken near that amount to away games.
Sponsership may go too.
I wonder is it worth while carrying on if we drop into that League.
Just my thoughts at the moment.

Agree with you to a certain extent. The playing and coaching staff better pull
Their finger out quick then

2 minutes ago, surely not! said:

Agree with you to a certain extent. The playing and coaching staff better pull
Their finger out quick then

We had a lot of players missing on Saturday. Up to 8 i believe who may have started.

I looked at the team sheet and thought who are these players?

A few have left us as usually happens but we won't get away with these " slow " starts forever.

2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Assuming HJ is correct and he is likely to know, I suspect the divide is closer to the ken line (approximately Fauldhouse-Bonnybridge) than the salt n sauce line. Been a while since I've been going to chippies regularly but I think Falkirk, Stirling and Alloa are more salt n vinegar territory? You need to get into Fife and West Lothian before it's definitely sauce.

Salt and vinegar for me. Like a wee bit broon sauce but if you ask for it they normally droon yer chips in it. 

2 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I don't think anyone coming down will walk the SOSFL. People thought that same of Threave going down and so far it has been 4th, 1st and 9th. 

Depends how much theyd want to get back ,its still a far easier route to the LL. Threaves fall from grace was obvious 🤔

Edited by newcastle broon

So I emailed the Lowland League to ask the destination leagues on Sunday. I kind of forgot about it until today. The results are in:

Here is what was agreed at the beginning of the season.

The Lowland, East and South of Scotland Leagues have agreed which League each SLFL club would go to if it were to be relegated at the end of season 2019/20.

To the South of Scotland Football League: Dalbeattie Star, Caledonian Braves, East Kilbride and Gretna 2008.

To the East of Scotland Football League: Berwick Rangers, Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic, BSC Glasgow, Civil Service Strollers, Cumbernauld Colts, East Stirlingshire, Edinburgh University, Gala Fairydean Rovers, Kelty Hearts, Spartans, University of Stirling and Vale of Leithen.

8 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Bit strange. Maybe Glasgow, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire counts as EoSFA territory in senior grade terms? Clydebank and Dumbarton used to play in the Stirlingshire Cup after all.

I think it just floats right now with everyone agreeing to things. With BSC Glasgow based out of Alloa just now it makes sense for them, the SoSFL and EoSFL for them to be in the EoSFL. When they were playing out of Maryhill i'd imagine they would have been destined for the SoSFL.

The EoSFL has a stronger geographical pull to Cumbernauld Colts right now with the lack of West/Central based in the SoSFL. So that's another that could change over time.

Only one of those you could debate would be Cumbernauld. It's very much in Strathclyde but also north-east of Glasgow and was once in Stirlingshire. I can't recall whether they'd played in the South Challenge Cup while it was regionalised, and if so whether were in north-east or south-west zone.

Clearly the likes of Stirling Uni, East Stirlingshire and BSCG (while playing out of Alloa) belong to EOSL rather than SOSL. Indeed in EOSL at the moment you've the likes of Dunipace, Camelon and Sauchie. EOSL constitution even names Stirlingshire in its preamble, IIRC.

Cumbernauld was in an enclave of Dunbartonshire on the old county boundaries.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunbartonshire

I'm skeptical that BSC would be determined by Alloa's location. Having Dunbartonshire clubs in the EoS catchment is consistent with Clydebank's now lapsed deferred membership for this season.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

1 hour ago, lowenan said:

Another poor result for Vale Of Leithen. Looks like they will have a tough season, only question is how good Gretna and Dalbeattie are.

It was tough watching the Vale today. Striker isolated at times with little support and still created plenty chances. Baffling substitutions also. Felt sorry for the guys who were taken off. 

Think it’s clear to see Dalbeattie are shocking. Seems they have went from one dummy manager to another. Although Kerr pulled a couple of good results out of nowhere last year. Too many players who are not good enough nowadays ie Parker, Wells, Sloan, Fergusson, Wilson. Looks like Gretna and Dalbeattie to fight the drop.