Lowland Trapdoorwatch 2019-20

FairWeatherFan

16 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

3 down from 16 isn't exactly mental. It's fewer spots per club than 2 from 10 which was the standard for a long time in the SPFL without folk thinking it was mental.

You'd expect 2 automatic spots at a minimum once the west feeder goes live. I imagine they'll want to see exactly what tier 6 looks like before committing.

I tell you what is mental though and IMO the single biggest issue with Scottish Football today, 10 team leagues playing each other 4 times a season. As I said on previous posts a big factor in all of this is the “what’s in it for me” factor. Why would clubs accept 3 down and (potentially) none up? I am not against more relegation places but the bottleneck created at the top has to be addressed at the same time. 

55 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:
1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:
Quick skim of European leagues with 16 team top leagues. None of them seem to offer 3 automatic relegation spots.
1   Belgium
1+2 Czech Republic
2   Poland
2+1 Belarus
2+1 Norway
2+1 Serbia
2+1 Sweden
2+2 Russia

But we're not talking top leagues. The league below the LL offers 3 spots....

In Dutch lower leagues (tiers 3, 4 & 5) it's 2 + 2 from 16 team leagues (there are colt teams in tier 3 & 4 leagues as well, but they are not included with promotion/relegation, making them effectively 16 team leagues). Lower down it's generally 2 + 2 from 14 team leagues.

6 minutes ago, Jerry Macguire said:

I tell you what is mental though and IMO the single biggest issue with Scottish Football today, 10 team leagues playing each other 4 times a season. As I said on previous posts a big factor in all of this is the “what’s in it for me” factor. Why would clubs accept 3 down and (potentially) none up? I am not against more relegation places but the bottleneck created at the top has to be addressed at the same time. 

Watch oot for a red dot Jerry that's no a solution 😉

Some are crying oot for 3 doon wi the possibility of a 4th if the geographics go the wrong way. Thats going well overboard.

Meanwhile up north we canny even agree on a feckn boundary line 🙄

On 30/09/2019 at 18:24, Jerry Macguire said:

I’ve heard the boundary is currently the Tay Bridge .

It's a straight line across the country from the mid point of the Tay Bridge, at 56,4513N. It's a bit of a weird way of doing it, to use an arbitrary line rather than local authority boundaries, existing football regions or something like that. So Luncarty are north of the line despite the Perth clubs being south, but if they moved to a ground on in the middle of the village, they'd be south too. Oban are south by about 3 miles. If Tayport moved to a ground in the north of the town, they'd be Highland. 

19 minutes ago, GordonS said:

It's a straight line across the country from the mid point of the Tay Bridge, at 56,4513N. It's a bit of a weird way of doing it, to use an arbitrary line rather than local authority boundaries, existing football regions or something like that. So Luncarty are north of the line despite the Perth clubs being south, but if they moved to a ground on in the middle of the village, they'd be south too. Oban are south by about 3 miles. If Tayport moved to a ground in the north of the town, they'd be Highland. 

Oban play in the Glasgow amateur leagues so are on the correct side of the boundary. Only a small area of Tayport is in the north, not big or flat enough to build a ground on. Luncarty, Scone, and Tayport would probably be happier in the north so the boundary could be moved south without affecting any other teams.

16 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Oban play in the Glasgow amateur leagues so are on the correct side of the boundary. Only a small area of Tayport is in the north, not big or flat enough to build a ground on. Luncarty, Scone, and Tayport would probably be happier in the north so the boundary could be moved south without affecting any other teams.

Oban - I know, but it's pure luck what side of the boundary they fell. There's no way that was planned. And another curiosity - if they'd used the OS Grid instead of latitude, as they're not aligned the same then Oban would have been in the north! 

Tayport - point is, if they'd used a geographical boundary like the Tay instead of an imaginary straight line this wouldn't even have been possible. Would Tayport really rather play in the HL than the LL? 

Luncarty and Scone - IMO them being in a different system from Kinnoull or Jeanfield seems a bit odd.

You've got to have the boundary somewhere I suppose, so you'll always have anomalies. 

• 3 weeks later...

Gretna 2008 2-0 Vale of Leithen. Gretna are off the bottom with their win. They've moved up to 14th as Edinburgh University slip to 15th following a 4-1 defeat to Cumbernauld Colts.

Still very tight at the bottom, but Vale of Leithen and Edinburgh University are already behind on points and don't have the advantage of extra games to be played.

image.png.3b8310824d24262ba02cecb3f85b0720.png

12 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

With the currently top 3 of the EOSFL going well and unlicensed will there be as much bending over backwards as last season should they win the EOSFL or is it a given they will all get a licence on time anyway  ? 

Asking for a friend likes 🙊

Camelon have got their floodlights in and that was all they were missing last year.

Tranent might be covered fundraising with the council payment. All they needed were floodlights.

Bo'ness just finished the their renovations and had to have licensing in mind when carrying out that work.

Are the SFA going to throw out some new requirement in December?