Lowland Trapdoorwatch 2019-20

FairWeatherFan

1 minute ago, Burnie_man said:

Bonnyrigg had problems due to the SFA's last minute floodlights criteria, that wont happen every season and is irrelevant.  Four of the EoS top 6 are already Licenced, the other two will most likely be by seasons end.

How's it irrelevant? They almost never got promoted to the Lowland due to it. 

Say those 6 clubs all got promoted that only covers the next two seasons, what about after 3 years or 4? They'll still be issues and that's assuming all of the promotions are coming from the EOS and not the SOS. 

Too many issues there with 3 relegation spots. 

1 minute ago, RampantFM said:

How's it irrelevant? They almost never got promoted to the Lowland due to it. 

Say those 6 clubs all got promoted that only covers the next two seasons, what about after 3 years or 4? They'll still be issues and that's assuming all of the promotions are coming from the EOS and not the SOS. 

Too many issues there with 3 relegation spots. 

It's irrelevant because you're not going to have the floodlight requirement sprung on you at the last minute every season. We've had it, everyone knows about it.  by the end of this season you will probably have 12 of the 16 EoS clubs Licenced, inc all of the clubs with a genuine chance of winning the league, so the Bonnyrigg situation is irrelevent as it's very unlikely to be repeated.

The EoS are not getting humpty about only one play-off spot to the LL (no guaranteed promotion spot) and therefore restricting relegation from the Premier, maybe the LL should take note.

1 minute ago, Burnie_man said:

It's irrelevant because you're not going to have the floodlight requirement sprung on you at the last minute every season. We've had it, everyone knows about it.  by the end of this season you will probably have 12 of the 16 EoS clubs Licenced, inc all of the clubs with a genuine chance of winning the league, so the Bonnyrigg situation is irrelevent as it's very unlikely to be repeated.

The EoS are not getting humpty about only one play-off spot to the LL (no guaranteed promotion spot) and therefore restricting relegation from the Premier, maybe the LL should take note.

Are you saying that SFA might not ever thihk about changing the goal posts after a long history of doing so?

i don't think anyone is getting humpty about it, it just wouldn't work. If it was only EOS to think about. It could definitely work, but there's more than one league below the Lowland. 

Just now, RampantFM said:

Are you saying that SFA might not ever thihk about changing the goal posts after a long history of doing so?

i don't think anyone is getting humpty about it, it just wouldn't work. If it was only EOS to think about. It could definitely work, but there's more than one league below the Lowland. 

No I'm not saying that, but what relevance has that got to providing more promotion opportunities?

I'm not saying you go to 3 spots now, it should definitely be 2 IMO, and when the West come on board that is when you move to 3.

15 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

That's exactly what the EoS Premier have, and rightly so.

The EoS is a single league body. The the Lowland League has to balance between the leagues below. The SoS is an equal member to the EoS right now on paper and has to be treated as such. Unfortunately they don't have as many licensed members. So you're left coming up with a list of scenarios even more convoluted than the current LL relegation selections.

2 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

The EoS is a single league body. The the Lowland League has to balance between the leagues below. The SoS is an equal member to the EoS right now on paper and has to be treated as such. Unfortunately they don't have as many licensed members. So you're left coming up with a list of scenarios even more convoluted than the current LL relegation selections.

There's no convoluted scenarios, two promotion spots can easily be handled between EoS and SoS, and if that means one of the leagues ends up filling both spots then so be it.  We should be talking about how to do it, not looking for reasons not to.

Edited by Burnie_man

4 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

No I'm not saying that, but what relevance has that got to providing more promotion opportunities?

I'm not saying you go to 3 spots now, it should definitely be 2 IMO, and when the West come on board that is when you move to 3.

Agree with you there, three would definitely be fair if there was three leagues below but would imagine the West juniors would want to be on par with the Lowland league in terms of tier. 

2 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

There's no convoluted scenarios, two promotion spots can easily be handled between EoS and SoS, and if that means one of the leagues ends up filling both spots then so be it.  We should be talking about how to do it, not looking for reasons not to.

I think the whole argument of the person who was advocating three spots was to strengthen the Lowland league. Having automatic (if licensed) for SOS, in fairness, a weaker league compared to EOS would completely contradict that. 

2 minutes ago, RampantFM said:

Agree with you there, three would definitely be fair if there was three leagues below but would imagine the West juniors would want to be on par with the Lowland league in terms of tier. 

3 auto relegation spots is not justifiable as things stand now, but when the west come on board you're then looking at 130 or so clubs feeding the LL, which could be more if ERJFA clubs come over to the EoS.  It's at that point the pro/rel issue needs dealt with.

The West will not be coming in at tier 5, it will be alongside the EoS in whatever form, at tier 6.

2 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

The EoS is a single league body. The the Lowland League has to balance between the leagues below. The SoS is an equal member to the EoS right now on paper and has to be treated as such...

EoS champion vs SoS runner-up

EoS runner-up vs SoS champion

Would solve that issue for now.

Just now, RampantFM said:

I think the whole argument of the person who was advocating three spots was to strengthen the Lowland league. Having automatic (if licensed) for SOS, in fairness, a weaker league compared to EOS would completely contradict that. 

I don't think the SoS can justify auto promotion spots, the fairest way at the moment if it went to two, is still a play-off. No auto promotion for anyone.

13 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

6 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

EoS champion vs SoS runner-up

EoS runner-up vs SoS champion

Would solve that issue for now.

I've basically this said elsewhere, working within the current structure of of the SoSFL and EoSFL set up =

1. Licensed League champions automatically promoted
  2. One league champion unlicensed. Play-off between 2x licensed runners up for 2nd promotion spot.
  3. One league champion unlicensed. Only one licensed runners up who is automatically promoted.
  4. No licensed league champions. 2x licensed runners up play-off for one promotion spot. 2nd or 3rd bottom of the LL reprieved from relegation
  5. No licensed league champions. Only one licensed runners up who is automatically promoted. 2nd or 3rd bottom of the LL reprieved from relegation.

With the way the EoS Premier is going you'd never get past step 3.

I don't think the SoS can justify auto promotion spots, the fairest way at the moment if it went to two, is still a play-off. No auto promotion for anyone.

Top 2 (if licensed) play a group? Champions get the extra home game.

1st Saturday
Sos runner up Vs EoS champion
Sos champion vs EoS runner up

Mid week

EoS champion vs EoS runner up
Sos champion vs SoS runner up

2nd Saturday

EoS champion vs SOS Champion
EoS Runner up vs sos runner up

Top 2 go up

If only 3 clubs follow the EoS champion play-offs from last year. Less than that and it’s just automatic.

20 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

To me giving the SoS an automatic promotion spot would help entice clubs to join and bring around the same sort of changes the EoS has seen.

It also would help get the LL and SoS sign up for it as it. You also avoid having to sort out the scenario of what happens when there are only 3 licensed participants.

4 hours ago, parsforlife said:

whilst there’s teams that you’ve listed there’s also probably a few dead certs like Kelty and Bonnyrigg.

Out of interest does anyone know the voting structures in the LL? Would a simple majority do it?

Simple majority. Your right you might get one or two voting it through but you’ll also have alliances  between some voting clubs, supporting fellow members by voting for the status quo. 3 relegation spots with no automatic promotion is just sheer bloody fantasy IMO. Any change will be small and gradual.

4 hours ago, selfassemblyshire said:

I took in several League 2 games last season and even then there wasnt much between the teams.

If you took top half of the Lowland and merged it with League 2 I think you'd find the SPFL teams would struggle!

Assembly you better not tell the Cowdenbeath fans,the seethe from fife will be unreal !!

Simple majority. Your right you might get one or two voting it through but you’ll also have alliances  between some voting clubs, supporting fellow members by voting for the status quo. 3 relegation spots with no automatic promotion is just sheer bloody fantasy IMO. Any change will be small and gradual.
1 spot to 3 is fantasy? How slow and gradual can you make it? It's sad to hear that those who champion the LL as breaking the mould and moving the pyramid forward, are happy the stifle it.

13 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

The two favourites to win the league now are the last two sides to be promoted. Meanwhile we've got a queue of  clubs forming in the EoS who will need to wait years to pass Vale of Leithen or Edinburgh Uni.

The two favourites to win the league now are the last two sides to be promoted. Meanwhile we've got a queue of clubs forming in the HL/LL who will need to wait years to pass Brechin City or Elgin City.

6 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

The two favourites to win the league now are the last two sides to be promoted. Meanwhile we've got a queue of clubs forming in the HL/LL who will need to wait years to pass Brechin City or Elgin City.

I agree. Should be two down automatically from SPFL.