Lowland Trapdoorwatch 2019-20

FairWeatherFan

12 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

It might be this "Banks & Black" podcast

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/12-yards-out-1-george-fraser-on-spfl-reconstruction/id1515313881?i=1000476204962

As that one flew a little under the radar and I had to do a search to find it again. Otherwise it would probably have been the Down the Divisions or Official Catch Up. Possibly the BBC Sportsound one.

The basic gist of the topic was that the Lowland League were asked to look at the boundary by the SPFL, possibly just scrap it? It would be discussed at the AGM. This was around the time of the SPFL playoff being cancelled and the pressure put on the LL, so the questioning around how he thought that vote might go was framed around that. His response was along the lines of its a membership vote. It could go either way, but with everything that had gone on it doesn't exactly encourage the LL members to vote in favour of the change.

You were right, it was voted on at the AGM and rather unsurprisingly was rejected. Pretty comprehensively by all accounts.

Just now, Jerry Macguire said:

You were right, it was voted on at the AGM and rather unsurprisingly was rejected. Pretty comprehensively by all accounts.

Of course it's a lot easier to vote that way when you know rejecting it won't have any affect for at least a year as the play-offs were cancelled anyway. ;) Suppose we'll need to see what happens if Brechin are hovering over the trapdoor again in 6-9 months time...

3 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Of course it's a lot easier to vote that way when you know rejecting it won't have any affect for at least a year as the play-offs were cancelled anyway. ;) Suppose we'll need to see what happens if Brechin are hovering over the trapdoor again in 6-9 months time...

And if they’re brave enough to get their SPFL chums to threaten to remove cup privileges if we don’t bend over. 

45 minutes ago, gogsy said:

Stenhousemuir chairman will still be too busy crying his eyes out about  the lower leagues starting same weekend as a Celtic v Rangers game to notice.

He probably hasn’t been told what to say yet.

18 hours ago, Jerry Macguire said:

But Shirley .... it's not something the LL can change unilaterally?

2 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

But Shirley .... it's not something the LL can change unilaterally?

It's the other way around, it can't be changed without their approval. If they had voted in favour then they could have taken that position forward to discussions with the SFA, SPFL and HL. Since they voted against it, the issue is off the table.

• 2 weeks later...

Any news on how promotion and relegation will work now that the WoS league is in at tier 6?

It could be relatively simple while there's still a chance the SoS champions won't be licensed / eligible but with a decent chance the likes of Dalbeattie and Gretna will be relegated in the coming seasons,  a three-way play-off for one spot is surely going to get a bit messy.

I'd have thought 2 automatic promotion places should be on the cards now. Could do 2nd place in EoS vs 2nd place in WoS as a two-legged semi finals with the winner of that going on to face the opposite EoS/WoS champion and the champion from the league of the semi-final winner playing the SoS champion. With both finals leading to automatic promotion?

11 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Any news on how promotion and relegation will work now that the WoS league is in at tier 6?

It could be relatively simple while there's still a chance the SoS champions won't be licensed / eligible but with a decent chance the likes of Dalbeattie and Gretna will be relegated in the coming seasons,  a three-way play-off for one spot is surely going to get a bit messy.

I'd have thought 2 automatic promotion places should be on the cards now. Could do 2nd place in EoS vs 2nd place in WoS as a two-legged semi finals with the winner of that going on to face the opposite EoS/WoS champion and the champion from the league of the semi-final winner playing the SoS champion. With both finals leading to automatic promotion?

For 2020-21 there will be one promotion spot from Tier 6 and relegation will be how many is required to get back down to 16.

• 3 Licenced Champions from the WoSFL, EoSFL, and SoSFL will be a 3 way play-off
  • 2 Licenced Champions from the WoSFL, EoSFL, and SoSFL will be a two legged play-off.
  • 1 Licenced Champion from the WoSFL, EoSFL, and SoSFL would be automatically promoted.
  • No Licenced Champion from the WoSFL, EOSFL, and SoSFL means no promotion.

With the number of clubs in the EoSFL Premier licenced its basically guaranteed to have some form of promotion. Roughly looking at 2 clubs being relegated at the very least.

Once the majority of WoSFL Premier clubs are licenced i'm sure there will be a push from Tier 6 for additional promotion spots. Its just too early for this year.

Edited by FairWeatherFan

5 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Given the critical mass below and the fact the league is big enough it should really be 3 down from the LL. The difficulty with that is we have 3 feeder leagues at tier 6, two of which cover the same geographic area and one of which is far far weaker than the other two. This means you'd have cannon fodder going up every year if it was 3 up/3 down, or you need to have some weird playoff to get to 2 up or 1 up.

The two leagues in the West need to be merged at tier 6 and then we can have a proper discussion about it. Promote the two champions and have a playoff between the two runners up for the third spot.

33 minutes ago, thisisneeds said:

Because I believe we are getting better and are on the up. I may be wrong obviously but I really think we are making strides in the right direction. 

I'd probably tip Gretna 2008 to stay ahead of Dalbeattie, Edinburgh Uni & most of the Borders sides for a while.

5 hours ago, thisisneeds said:

Because I believe we are getting better and are on the up. I may be wrong obviously but I really think we are making strides in the right direction. 

Fair.

If 2 go down this year i think it will be Vale of Leithen and Edinburgh Uni. Then the next season, I can't see it being anyone other than Gretna or Dalbeattie that go down. So 'anytime soon' may be correct but i'd be very surprised if Gretna are still Lowland League by 2023, and that would only be if 1 team went down a year. 

Fair.
If 2 go down this year i think it will be Vale of Leithen and Edinburgh Uni. Then the next season, I can't see it being anyone other than Gretna or Dalbeattie that go down. So 'anytime soon' may be correct but i'd be very surprised if Gretna are still Lowland League by 2023, and that would only be if 1 team went down a year. 
I hope VOL, Dalbeattie, The French or either Uni team go down.

Any 2 (or 3 depending on play-offs) would be great