Lowland Trapdoorwatch 2019-20

FairWeatherFan

• 2 months later...
9 minutes ago, gogsy said:

Have the Lowland league confirmed that they plan to be back to 16 teams for 2021-22 season and if so do the league regulations allow for a potential three teams to be relegated?

You'll probably find a revised version of the rules following the AGM, where these things will be decided.

4 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

They'll probably find a way to relegate 0 teams again.

Teams have been relegated every single year for the past 4 years. The league decided not to this year because of a global pandemic and the abrupt end to the season. As such the league will relegate the sufficient number of teams to get back to 16 for 2021/22. 

Must be difficult for you to get your head around that, your obsession with Vale of Leithen not getting relegated is bordering on creepy tbh.

7 minutes ago, gogsy said:

Mid July for AGM?

No idea. I think it has been said elsewhere the SFA AGM is sometime next week. Considering the circumstances, they might be waiting until after the SFA has had their AGM.

EDIT to add:

I will say, it should be difficult for them to include two relegated with possible third for 2020-21. Then rewrite the rules to go back to one relegated with possible second for 2021-22.

Edited by FairWeatherFan

1 hour ago, gogsy said:

Have the Lowland league confirmed that they plan to be back to 16 teams for 2021-22 season and if so do the league regulations allow for a potential three teams to be relegated?

Presumably they could just adapt the graphic on their rules page to add a another table at the top for 17 clubs finishing the current season, basically +1 relegation spot onto each row.

Edit: the only rule that would need to change is B1 which says the league has a maximum of 16 clubs. B5 deals with keeping the league at 16 clubs.

B5 The number of clubs for the forthcoming season will be calculated by adding to the number of clubs in membership at the end of the current season, adding any club that may be promoted from the EoSFL or SoSFL, adding any club that may be relegated from the SPFL and subtracting any club that may be promoted to the SPFL. In order to maintain a maximum of sixteen clubs as required by Rule B1, the bottom club or clubs at the end of the current season will be relegated to the league(s) decided by a joint meeting of the representatives of the League, the EoSFL and the SoSFL prior to the start of each season. (Please refer to Annex II for illustration of the process for deciding on relegation.)

Rules.png

59 minutes ago, craigiemack said:

Teams have been relegated every single year for the past 4 years. The league decided not to this year because of a global pandemic and the abrupt end to the season. As such the league will relegate the sufficient number of teams to get back to 16 for 2021/22. 

Must be difficult for you to get your head around that, your obsession with Vale of Leithen not getting relegated is bordering on creepy tbh.

Had the season continued and Kelty replaced Brechin (who went to the HL) then Vale of Leithen would not have been relegated.

Will be interesting to see which league Dalbeattie and Gretna go into, should they get relegated - SOS (easier to win but would struggle in the play-off) or WOS (unlikely to win but bigger crowds and exposure).

Edited by Ginaro

New LL rules published which allow the board to change the number of teams to 17 or 18, and details of the LL play-off (round robin like the EOS if required).

http://slfl.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/SLFL-Rules-Version-13.pdf

http://slfl.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Lower-Pyramid-play-off-rules-2020.pdf

The good news is that assuming a tier 6 winner is licensed (almost guaranteed with 13/18 EOS clubs), nobody goes bust, and the LL revert back to 16 teams - at least one club will be relegated at the end of the season.

The play-off format basically means that in the case of a draw between the EoS and WoS champions, the promotion spot will go to whichever club can thump the hapless SoS champions by the most goals. That almost certainly gives an advantage to the team playing them second.

In addition, it gives one of the two champions of those leagues home advantage in the game that actually matters.

Yet another reason why the "what harm are they doing" argument about the SoS clearly being out of place at Tier 6 can be thrown directly in the bin.

Edited by craigkillie

20 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The play-off format basically means that in the case of a draw between the EoS and WoS champions, the promotion spot will go to whichever club can thump the hapless SoS champions by the most goals. That almost certainly gives an advantage to the team playing them second.

In addition, it gives one of the two champions of those leagues home advantage in the game that actually matters.

Yet another reason why the "what harm are they doing" argument about the SoS clearly being out of place at Tier 6 can be thrown directly in the bin.

The last LL playoff format lasted from 2014-15 until 2019-20 and only had the full scenario happen once. I doubt the new format will last as long as that and we'll see how many times the 3 team scenario happens.

37 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

New LL rules published which allow the board to change the number of teams to 17 or 18, and details of the LL play-off (round robin like the EOS if required).

http://slfl.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/SLFL-Rules-Version-13.pdf

http://slfl.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Lower-Pyramid-play-off-rules-2020.pdf

The good news is that assuming a tier 6 winner is licensed (almost guaranteed with 13/18 EOS clubs), nobody goes bust, and the LL revert back to 16 teams - at least one club will be relegated at the end of the season.

Any idea if this means the LL has had its AGM?

56 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Drawn matches will go to penalties for an extra point. That basically means that in case of a draw between the East & West champions, penalties will decide promotion.

2 hours ago, Ginaro said:

New LL rules published which allow the board to change the number of teams to 17 or 18

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

This post is VERY disrespectful to the farmers of mid Valeton B YMCA.

2 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

The last LL playoff format lasted from 2014-15 until 2019-20 and only had the full scenario happen once. I doubt the new format will last as long as that and we'll see how many times the 3 team scenario happens.

Any idea if this means the LL has had its AGM?

The LL AGM took place at the beginning of June I believe. Hence the reason they can now publishing the revised rules.

2 minutes ago, gogsy said:

How many up from 3 tier 5 leagues then?

God knows, it gets complicated. But we can't pretend to have balanced pyramid with one club ready and unwilling to make the step up from tier 6 to tier 5 in the North, although the North Caledonian League are making medium to long term efforts. The quality at the top of level 5 is probably similar North and South, it's the blockage below that seems unfair. 

Just now, Jerry Macguire said:

The LL AGM took place at the beginning of June I believe. Hence the reason they can now publishing the revised rules.

Cheers! In one of his podcast appearances George Fraser mentioned a vote(?) over the SPFL playoff boundary would take place at the LL AGM. In the updated rules the SPFL playoff section still has the same 56,4513N line as before. So it had me wondering.

3 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Cheers! In one of his podcast appearances George Fraser mentioned a vote(?) over the SPFL playoff boundary would take place at the LL AGM. In the updated rules the SPFL playoff section still has the same 56,4513N line as before. So it had me wondering.

I must have missed that one. Not sure if a vote did take place but I can pretty much guarantee you I know what the outcome would have been. I will try to find out.

2 hours ago, Marten said:

Drawn matches will go to penalties for an extra point. That basically means that in case of a draw between the East & West champions, penalties will decide promotion.

Sorry, missed that part. There's still the issue that one of the teams will get home advantage.

35 minutes ago, Jerry Macguire said:

I must have missed that one. Not sure if a vote did take place but I can pretty much guarantee you I know what the outcome would have been. I will try to find out.

It's this one from the Official Catch Up

Starts around 8 minutes in.

Basic gist. Early in the year the LL were asked to change the rule. They then included a rule amendment for the AGM for a vote of the membership. Considering the environment of the time SPFL playoff cancelled / the apparent pressure put on the LL, the inference was that the LL member weren't necessarily encouraged to pass the vote. But its a membership vote so nothing has been decided and who knows how it will go.

Edited by FairWeatherFan