Lowland Trapdoorwatch 2019-20

FairWeatherFan

4 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Don't know if I actually posted it, but was thinking before the season that the relegation battle will be between the clubs south of East Kilbride (though Gala are confounding expectations).

Gala finished 8th last year and were pretty clear of bottom four clubs points wise. So far their wins have been against Dalbeattie and Vale of Leithen. They're doing exactly what they need to do to stay clear of the bottom 2.

19 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Don't know if I actually posted it, but was thinking before the season that the relegation battle will be between the clubs south of East Kilbride (though Gala are confounding expectations).

Wonder if Gretna would go to the East or South if they are relegated?

Gretna previoulsy played in the East sure they would go back there as the South knocked them back when they originally formed in 08, I suppose however the south would offer the best chance of getting back.

Just now, cowdenbeath said:

Gretna previoulsy played in the East sure they would go back there as the South knocked them back when they originally formed in 08, I suppose however the south would offer the best chance of getting back.

It's not the clubs that make the decision but the 3 leagues. To balance things out i'm sure they would place them in the SoS since it makes more sense geographically. The leagues a club would be relegated also used to be public which is probably how HibeeJibee seems so sure.

1 minute ago, FairWeatherFan said:

It's not the clubs that make the decision but the 3 leagues. To balance things out i'm sure they would place them in the SoS since it makes more sense geographically. The leagues a club would be relegated also used to be public which is probably how HibeeJibee seems so sure.

I thought you would got back to where you came from back in the day the south didn't want them when they were formed and they had to go east. 

Being honest about it it will be an east club who will come up at the end of the season so they would be a member short so surely they would go there.

1 minute ago, cowdenbeath said:

I thought you would got back to where you came from back in the day the south didn't want them when they were formed and they had to go east. 

Being honest about it it will be an east club who will come up at the end of the season so they would be a member short so surely they would go there.

It's in the control of the leagues and it would of been decided at the start of the season. What led to Gretna ending up in the EoS in 2008 doesn't necessarily apply in 2014 forward.

4 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

By that logic Berwick should've gone to the Highland League as they were one short. The EOS has already thought of this scenario though - if Linlithgow replace Gretna/Dalbeattie then both clubs who finish 2nd in the EOS First Divisions will be promoted, rather than take part in a promotion play-off.

8 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

By that logic Berwick should've gone to the Highland League as they were one short. The EOS has already thought of this scenario though - if Linlithgow replace Gretna/Dalbeattie then both clubs who finish 2nd in the EOS First Divisions will be promoted, rather than take part in a promotion play-off.

It was you who posed the question if your sure they will end up in the south if relegated why ask? 

I merely questioned it as they had been previously members of the east when the south rejected them. As mentioned by Fairweatherfan times may have changed on that score.

Guess we will find out soon enough if they go down.

Edited by cowdenbeath

2 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

I quickly got an answer to the question from HJ...

I missed that. At least you know now.

I presume in the unlikely event of EK, CC or BSC going down they would end up in the south as well?

Edited by cowdenbeath

Gretna/EK/etc. would be relegated to the SOSL. Which side of the salt 'n sauce line you're located is confirmed by the same 'Three Leagues' committee which oversees the South Challenge Cup, although in most cases it'll be blindingly obvious. List was on LL website pre-redesign.

Forget how BSCG stand (given Glasgow HQ/Alloa-based).

It's unconnected to whether you play in the East Qualifying or Southern Counties cup.

Edited by HibeeJibee

3 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

Unless the West juniors are forced to merge into the SoS, no team will come up from that pub league for at least the next 15 years.

1 minute ago, Marshmallo said:

Unless the West juniors are forced to merge into the SoS, no team will come up from that pub league for at least the next 15 years.

That's my point it would be an easier league for Gretna to fall into as they would be the only side who would want into the LL.

1 minute ago, Marshmallo said:

A lot if not all of the South of Scotland clubs work very hard to try and progress but with a small player pool it’s very difficult. It’s certainly no pub league. 

1 minute ago, cowdenbeath said:

That's my point it would be an easier league for Gretna to fall into as they would be the only side who would want into the LL.

There's a queue of teams in the EoS waiting to beat the SoS champions every year though. Gretna could attract an overall better quality of player dropping into the East than playing on public pitches in the South every week surely?

7 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

There's a queue of teams in the EoS waiting to beat the SoS champions every year though. Gretna could attract an overall better quality of player dropping into the East than playing on public pitches in the South every week surely?

Their catchment area will be the  south of Scotland and/ or the north west of England. I imagine there is a sort of pecking order QOS will get the really good ones then Annan and after that it will be a scramble between tthe non league sides like Gretna and Dalbeattie.

A lot of it will be down to how much players are prepared to travel I suppose some guys I imagine will be happy to stay local on public park pitches as you call them while others will be prepared to travel. 

Edited by cowdenbeath

8 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Gretna or Dalbeattie at that if relegated would basically walk the SOSFL thus practically giving them a play off wi the EOSFL champions. 

It's a far easier route to get to the LL for them as theyd probably struggle in the EOSFL premier  ?

Edited by newcastle broon

2 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Their catchment area will be the  south of Scotland and/ or the north west of England. I imagine there is a sort of pecking order QOS will get the really good ones then Annan and after that it will be a scramble between tthe non league sides like Gretna and Dalbeattie.

A lot of it will be down to how much players are prepared to travel I suppose some guys I imagine will be happy to stay local on public park pitches as you call them while others will be prepared to travel. 

Gretna have had a lot of Cumbrian influence in the past 

Assuming HJ is correct and he is likely to know, I suspect the divide is closer to the ken line (approximately Fauldhouse-Bonnybridge) than the salt n sauce line. Been a while since I've been going to chippies regularly but I think Falkirk, Stirling and Alloa are more salt n vinegar territory? You need to get into Fife and West Lothian before it's definitely sauce.