Musselburgh Athletic F.C 2019/20

Agree the number 11 did over do the rolls. Young lads these days.

Don't think many visiting teams will score 6 at Olivebank this season.

Remember us getting 9 down there previously and last season doing everything but score.

Thought I'd gone back 6 months today when King opened scoring as it was exactly the same goal as League Cup Semi

26 minutes ago, Cumbo said:

Agree the number 11 did over do the rolls. Young lads these days.

Don't think many visiting teams will score 6 at Olivebank this season.

Remember us getting 9 down there previously and last season doing everything but score.

Thought I'd gone back 6 months today when King opened scoring as it was exactly the same goal as League Cup Semi

You mean, you conceded 9 goals down here?! Jeanfield beat us 2-1 on a very wet May day, up at Riverside, which got us relegated. The following week, we beat you 9-1, here at Olivebank.

Last season was a very tough match, which I think I said at the time, you were the 2nd best team we had played all season! Hill O’ Beath gave us a footballing lesson in a cup tie earlier that season. 

Yes conceeded 9. I was on holiday in Lanzarote for both games though the first one made me more nervous

You mean, you conceded 9 goals down here?! Jeanfield beat us 2-1 on a very wet May day, up at Riverside, which got us relegated. The following week, we beat you 9-1, here at Olivebank.
Last season was a very tough match, which I think I said at the time, you were the 2nd best team we had played all season! Hill O’ Beath gave us a footballing lesson in a cup tie earlier that season. 

7 minutes ago, Cumbo said:

Yes conceeded 9. I was on holiday in Lanzarote for both games though the first one made me more nervous

I would have rather won the match at Jeanfield, then got beat 9-1 in the cup!

A couple of weeks before, we beat Bonnyrigg Rose, which in effect lost them a chance of pipping Kelty for the league title.

Then we had 3 matches to go, needing one point to stay in the Super League. We lost all 3!

31 minutes ago, Passthebaw said:

I missed the game yesterday so thanks for the content here. I'm keen to see the highlights but they sound x-rated! 

Hopefully see you back soon! Highlights of the goals up now. Not for the squeamish, but hopefully you and the team will recover quickly!

Cracking wee set up in the clubhouse at olivebank. I ended having 3 sausage rolls and a pie [emoji23][emoji23]. The referee had a fucking shocker though, as did the burgh defence. Good afternoon out all the same though.

After playing cup football for the previous two games, it was back to league business. In a rearranged  match, Jeanfield Swifts were the visitors to Olivebank. A win would leapfrog Musselburgh above Jeanfield, though defeat may have found Burgh in the bottom three in the Premier League table.

Three changes to last week’s match saw Tom Clare and Nathan Evans benched, while Michael Moffat was injured. In came Darren Downie, Jackie Myles and John Williams.

Jeanfield had a free-kick on two minutes, but this was wasted as ball went straight to Paul Grant. First goal came in 6 minutes. A great ball forward by Bradley Whyte was there for Mathu King to chase. At the edge of the Jeanfield penalty area, Mathu King beat a defender to the ball. As goalkeeper, Mitchell, came forward, Mathu King lobbed the ball and a fan could be heard saving that’s in; that’s in! Musselburgh led 1-0.

From the kick off, Jeanfield went up the field and a shout for a penalty was ignored as the referee blew for a corner kick. On 13 minutes Musselburgh went close. Following a corner, which the first shot was blocked Jono McManus saw his header just go past the post. The next 10 minutes seemed to be spent in the Burgh half as Jeanfield pressed for an equaliser.  It eventually came on 25 minutes. A pass into the six yard box by Simpson, was met by the centre forward, McLeish, who scored from three yards.

Soon after the re-start, Jeanfield regained possession and moved quickly upfield.  Again a pass from Sinclair into the box, resulted in a goal, this time scored by Reg McLaren. Two goals in less that 60 seconds saw Jeanfield take the lead. It lasted all of four minutes! On the half way line Daniel McBay headed the ball, when was headed again by Mathu King. Darren Downie collected the ball and chipped it over Mitchell to make the score 2-2.

Jeanfield regained lead on 36 minutes when Smith hit his shot between Paul Grant and the post. First yellow card of match was awarded to Connor McLaren for bringing down Bradley Whyte. Not to be outdone, Connor’s brother, Reg McLaren, was booked a minute later for a foul on Jordan Orru.

Half time: Musselburgh Athletic 2-3 Jeanfield Swifts.

With 53 minutes gone the sixth goal of match came. Reg McLaren side stepped Conor Thomson at the edge of the box. McLaren then smacked the ball cross goal, which hit the post and went in. The away side 4-2 up.

Musselburgh brought on all three substitutes on 57 minutes. Nathan Evans, Liam Gregory and Brian Martin replaced Darren Downie, Daniel McBay and Bradley Whyte. Two minutes later, with a Jeanfield player at the Musselburgh by-line, Declan O’Kane fouled him, with a penalty awarded.. Up stepped Connor McLaren (denying his brother Reg of a possible hat-trick)  to score from the penalty spot and the lead now 5-2 for Jeanfield..

Forward attacks were limited for Musselburgh in the second half, as Jeanfield completely bossed the game. A rare chance came in 66 minutes, but Mitchell saved well from Nathan Evans. That was his last effort, as Nathan Evans was sent off with a straight red following a high challenged. It looked much worse than it was. Although  the centre half, Whitehead was down and out for a couple of minutes, he got up with no after effects, something which is happening all to often in football.

There was a further stop in play not long after Jordan Orru was running down the left touch line, when he was elbowed by Jeanfield’s Dewar. The. referee awarded Musselburgh a free kick, but Dewar escaped getting a card, much to the eyre of the home fans. On 82 minutes, Burgh were awarded a corner. Conor Thomson’s cross was cleared off the lone and Mathu King then volleyed the bull into the net. One of Jeanfield’s best players, Simpson was subbed around that time.

Burgh were reduced to 9 men with five minutes remaining. Jono McManus received the second straight red of the match for a foul on a Jeanfield player. This could have been followed on 87 with another red card for a late challenge on the sub, Fergus, by Jackie Myles. However, only the yellow card was shown. Into the final minute and Jeanfield got their sixth goal of the match. Connor McLaren twisted and turned easily past John Williams, who seemed to accept to easily that the match was over. From just outside the six yard box. McLaren placed the ball passed Paul Grant. As  the ball hit the net, you  could hear an agrieved shout from the sidelines saying ‘that’s too easy’!

Full time: Musselburgh Athletic 3 - 6 Jeanfield Swifts.

Although Musselburgh competed well in the first half, there was no doubt that Jeanfield were worthy winners. What cannot be denied was the second half must have been the worst performance by Musselburgh this season.

14 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

After playing cup football for the previous two games, it was back to league business. In a rearranged  match, Jeanfield Swifts were the visitors to Olivebank. A win would leapfrog Musselburgh above Jeanfield, though defeat may have found Burgh in the bottom three in the Premier League table.

Three changes to last week’s match saw Tom Clare and Nathan Evans benched, while Michael Moffat was injured. In came Darren Downie, Jackie Myles and John Williams.

Jeanfield had a free-kick on two minutes, but this was wasted as ball went straight to Paul Grant. First goal came in 6 minutes. A great ball forward by Bradley Whyte was there for Mathu King to chase. At the edge of the Jeanfield penalty area, Mathu King beat a defender to the ball. As goalkeeper, Mitchell, came forward, Mathu King lobbed the ball and a fan could be heard saving that’s in; that’s in! Musselburgh led 1-0.

From the kick off, Jeanfield went up the field and a shout for a penalty was ignored as the referee blew for a corner kick. On 13 minutes Musselburgh went close. Following a corner, which the first shot was blocked Jono McManus saw his header just go past the post. The next 10 minutes seemed to be spent in the Burgh half as Jeanfield pressed for an equaliser.  It eventually came on 25 minutes. A pass into the six yard box by Simpson, was met by the centre forward, McLeish, who scored from three yards.

Soon after the re-start, Jeanfield regained possession and moved quickly upfield.  Again a pass from Sinclair into the box, resulted in a goal, this time scored by Reg McLaren. Two goals in less that 60 seconds saw Jeanfield take the lead. It lasted all of four minutes! On the half way line Daniel McBay headed the ball, when was headed again by Mathu King. Darren Downie collected the ball and chipped it over Mitchell to make the score 2-2.

Jeanfield regained lead on 36 minutes when Smith hit his shot between Paul Grant and the post. First yellow card of match was awarded to Connor McLaren for bringing down Bradley Whyte. Not to be outdone, Connor’s brother, Reg McLaren, was booked a minute later for a foul on Jordan Orru.

Half time: Musselburgh Athletic 2-3 Jeanfield Swifts.

With 53 minutes gone the sixth goal of match came. Reg McLaren side stepped Conor Thomson at the edge of the box. McLaren then smacked the ball cross goal, which hit the post and went in. The away side 4-2 up.

Musselburgh brought on all three substitutes on 57 minutes. Nathan Evans, Liam Gregory and Brian Martin replaced Darren Downie, Daniel McBay and Bradley Whyte. Two minutes later, with a Jeanfield player at the Musselburgh by-line, Declan O’Kane fouled him, with a penalty awarded.. Up stepped Connor McLaren (denying his brother Reg of a possible hat-trick)  to score from the penalty spot and the lead now 5-2 for Jeanfield..

Forward attacks were limited for Musselburgh in the second half, as Jeanfield completely bossed the game. A rare chance came in 66 minutes, but Mitchell saved well from Nathan Evans. That was his last effort, as Nathan Evans was sent off with a straight red following a high challenged. It looked much worse than it was. Although  the centre half, Whitehead was down and out for a couple of minutes, he got up with no after effects, something which is happening all to often in football.

There was a further stop in play not long after Jordan Orru was running down the left touch line, when he was elbowed by Jeanfield’s Dewar. The. referee awarded Musselburgh a free kick, but Dewar escaped getting a card, much to the eyre of the home fans. On 82 minutes, Burgh were awarded a corner. Conor Thomson’s cross was cleared off the lone and Mathu King then volleyed the bull into the net. One of Jeanfield’s best players, Simpson was subbed around that time.

Burgh were reduced to 9 men with five minutes remaining. Jono McManus received the second straight red of the match for a foul on a Jeanfield player. This could have been followed on 87 with another red card for a late challenge on the sub, Fergus, by Jackie Myles. However, only the yellow card was shown. Into the final minute and Jeanfield got their sixth goal of the match. Connor McLaren twisted and turned easily past John Williams, who seemed to accept to easily that the match was over. From just outside the six yard box. McLaren placed the ball passed Paul Grant. As  the ball hit the net, you  could hear an agrieved shout from the sidelines saying ‘that’s too easy’!

Full time: Musselburgh Athletic 3 - 6 Jeanfield Swifts.

Although Musselburgh competed well in the first half, there was no doubt that Jeanfield were worthy winners. What cannot be denied was the second half must have been the worst performance by Musselburgh this season.

Thanks for your regular match reports CJ. I always look forward to them especially when I can't be at the game. 

Tough times for the Burgh. I wonder if the coach has started with the same starting line-up 2 games in a row? 

3 hours ago, Passthebaw said:

Thanks for your regular match reports CJ. I always look forward to them especially when I can't be at the game. 

Tough times for the Burgh. I wonder if the coach has started with the same starting line-up 2 games in a row? 

Sometimes I wish I wasn't writing up my notes of matches each week as it has been a tough season for us.

Key; come the end of season; is remaining in the Premier league. I think we have the squad to do that and am still confident of our place at the top tablle.

But, we need to get out of this bad spell soon before the four teams at foot of league become adrift of the rest. 

I'm going to say once! Do not quote me yet as I may strike my comments from the records!  I think the coach knows his first 11 in his head. But we have been plagued with injuries all season! 

Added to the mix is that a player who I rate has come into the reckoning in recent weeks so that has thrown a spanner into the works. There are also 3 guys out on loan. One I would say won't be back; another one would be doubtful for a return and the last would be better here that there, but again please don't quote me! 

Will get back to you!

Last minute decision to go and see Blackburn U20 v Musselburgh U20. Got to New Murrayfield Park (Old name) just as Blackburn U20 came out onto pitch. A wee donation box greeted you on arrival, with a friendly committee member, a guy that attends matches most Fridays\Saturdays, pointing to the team sheets available.

The U20 Development Challenge Cup First Round tie kicked off at 20.01. Courtesy of the team sheet, Blackburn sit in 5th place in Conference A with five wins out of nine; whilst Musselburgh in 8th place in conference B, having played 10 matches and won four.

First chance of match came in four minutes with a shot from Howe. The Burgh keeper Ross McRae had to dive to get the ball. Another shot/save by the same duo three minutes later. This time the shot came on left hand side of Burgh box with Ross McRae saving at the same post. Early in match but the home side definitely on the front foot.

Against the run of play, Musselburgh U20 took the lead. A shot by Lewis Latimer went past the far post. Declan Paterson got ball and put it back into the 6-yard box and Cami Laidlaw was there to place ball by keeper Cairns. Burgh led 1-0. Burgh went close again on 24 minutes with a shot by Ciaran Young, which came high into the box, evading all players except for Cairns. 

A chance for both sides on 31 minutes, with a good attempt by Jack Crombie, which brought out a good save by Cairns. Blackburn then went on a quick counter-attack and the centre forward, Anderson saw his shot blocked. The equaliser came on 35 minutes. Play on the right wing saw Blackburn’s Kincaid pass back to Landels, who took ball past Declan Paterson and Cami Laidlaw. Ball then played to Howe, who in turn put a pass into the box, where Hirooka’s attempt hit corner of net. Score now 1-1.

The home side were back on the ascendancy and three minutes later Blackburn had a free kick in their own half. Howe collected ball; took it past Kieran Lugton and lashed a shot into the goals. 

Half time Blackburn U20s 2-1 Musselburgh U20.

Burgh went close on 49 minutes but an over shoulder attempt by Kieran Lugton went by the post. A minute later up the other end, Howe received pass from Cowan. Howe hit a good strike, with Burgh keeper, Ross McRae making an even better save. Three attempts for Blackburn in three minutes as the home side looked to go further ahead.  A pass by Howe saw a White header come off the post. Then Kincaid had a clear chance but missed and an easy save by Ross McRae from Anderson.

First booking of match, on 63 minutes awarded to Blackburn no.4 but did not see why. Then came a double substitution for Burgh. Off came Gary Ewing and Connor Fitzpatrick and on came Devan Craighead and Ewan Graham. Straight away Blackburn went on the attack. On right hand side of box, Anderson has a great chance and as he shot, a home fan clapped. However, ball went past wrong side of post. On 66 minutes same player missed when at back post with empty net evading him.

From the Musselburgh by-kick, a pass from Kyle McFadden found Cami Laidlaw. Not sure if there was a great piece of skill or an intuitive shot but from left edge of box, Cami Laidlaw got his second goal and score level at 2-2.

Another miss on 73 minutes saw no. 2 Landels in on goal but he failed to hit the target. However, Landels made amends three minutes later, when his shot, from the 6-yard box, went in. With Six minutes remaining, substitute Devine ran 20 yards down right wing before he passed ball to Howe. The forward then laid on ball to Anderson who hit the target.

That was final goal and the cup-tie ended Blackburn U20s 4-2 Musselburgh Athletic U20.

Best player of match was the Blackburn no.10 David Howe. Cannot be much longer before the ‘big team’ come permanently knocking for his signature. I would make Jack Crombie the Burgh player of match, just for his all-round performance. 

Sequence of goals; 1-0 Laidlaw; 1-1; 1-2; 2-2 Laidlaw; 2-3; 2-4    Attendance at match: 41

Edited by Casey Jones

League match 10 for both sides; a third of the season now played. Each team lost last week. Hill of Beath were 4th top; Musselburgh 4th bottom. Despite heavy rain, there was early morning confirmation that match was on. However, by time fans started to arrive, the referee already had concerns with surface water at top left of pitch.

Musselburgh made four changes with Grant, Williams and McBay on the bench. McManus along with last week sub Evans were suspended. In came Robinson, Martin, Gregory and new loan player Bob Wilson, who was in Burgh’s 2015 Junior cup final before joining Berwick.

Burgh had first chance of match. Mathu King passed ball but Jackie Myles shot was high and out of the ground. On nine minutes Gregory had great chance when in Hill of Beath penalty box. A left foot shot would have troubled keeper Hall. However, Gregory attempted a pass and ball cleared.

On 11 minutes, Brian Martin lost possession. As players entered the box, Hill of Beath forward dropped to ground. Burgh supporters at other end expected penalty to be given but play continued. A couple of minutes later a Burgh attack broke down as pass made by Declan O’Kane was too heavy. HoB defender Dair was booked, but did not see reason for this.

HoB had corner on 22 minutes, Ball came over from right hand side and Watt rose unchallenged to smash header into the net to make it 1-0 to home side. On 4 or 5 occasions in first half, Hill of Beath shot from distance. On each occasion ball bounced off Michael Robinson. Luckily for Musselburgh no follow-ups were made but Hill of Beath used wet conditions to their advantage.

Musselburgh had chance on 27 minutes as ball came into the HoB 6-yard box. If Darren Downie, who was next to Hall touched ball, the equaliser would surely have come. But Darren Downie missed ball and despite a penalty claim, play moved on. In 34 minutes HoB were attacking in Burgh box. As Elder was about to shoot, Brian Martin made slide tackle putting ball out for a corner. Five minutes later and Kirby hit a screamer of shot towards goal, which was blocked by Michael Robinson and defence cleared ball away.

Half time: Hill of Beath 1-0 Musselburgh Athletic.      Burgh did not have one shot on target in this period.

Four minutes into second half Burgh claimed a penalty when Jackie Myles came down. Referee ignored this plea as well. On 58 minutes, Jordan Urro was booked for challenge on Watt. Hill of Beath attacked down left wing when ball went out for throw in. Although a HoB player had last touch, perhaps with forward movement, ref gave throw in to home side. As ball came to Kirby, he hit good cross into box. Again, Watt rose unchallenged to head his second goal of match. With 60 minutes played Hill of Beath led 2-0.

Following the goal Daniel McBay came on for Bradley Whyte. HoB 3rd goal came on 68 minutes. From a corner, this time from left hand side, substitute, no.12, crossed ball into box and Jake Mitchell headed in, yet again unchallenged! Nine minutes later, the same player claimed a penalty, but ref issued yellow card for simulation. 

In the remaining minutes,  a couple of chances came for both sides. Late on,  Mathu King managed to get Burgh’s one and only shot on target. Keeper, Hall, made an easy save. Last minute of match, Declan O’Kane was booked for a tackle, with Reid also booked for HoB, which was assumed for speaking out to referee.

Full time: Hill of Beath 3-0 Musselburgh Athletic; a result which dropped Burgh to 15th in league.

Edited by Casey Jones

6 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

League match 10 for both sides; a third of the season now played. Each team lost last week. Hill of Beath were 4th top; Musselburgh 4th bottom. Despite heavy rain, there was early morning confirmation that match was on. However, by time fans started to arrive, the referee already had concerns with surface water at top left of pitch.

Musselburgh made four changes with Grant, Williams and McBay on the bench. McManus along with last week sub Evans were suspended. In came Robinson, Martin, Gregory and new loan player Bob Wilson, who was in Burgh’s 2015 Junior cup final before joining Berwick.

Burgh had first chance of match. Mathu King passed ball but Jackie Myles shot was high and out of the ground. On nine minutes Gregory had great chance when in Hill of Beath penalty box. A left foot shot would have troubled keeper Hall. However, Gregory attempted a pass and ball cleared.

On 11 minutes, Brian Martin lost possession. As players entered the box, Hill of Beath forward dropped to ground. Burgh supporters at other end expected penalty to be given but play continued. A couple of minutes later a Burgh attack broke down as pass made by Declan O’Kane was too heavy. HoB defender Dair was booked, but did not see reason for this.

HoB had corner on 22 minutes, Ball came over from right hand side and Watt rose unchallenged to smash header into the net to make it 1-0 to home side. On 4 or 5 occasions in first half, Hill of Beath shot from distance. On each occasion ball bounced off Michael Robinson. Luckily for Musselburgh no follow-ups were made but Hill of Beath used wet conditions to their advantage.

Musselburgh had chance on 27 minutes as ball came into the HoB 6-yard box. If Darren Downie, who was next to Hall touched ball, the equaliser would surely have come. But Darren Downie missed ball and despite a penalty claim, play moved on. In 34 minutes HoB were attacking in Burgh box. As Elder was about to shoot, Brian Martin made slide tackle putting ball out for a corner. Five minutes later and Kirby hit a screamer of shot towards goal, which was blocked by Michael Robinson and defence cleared ball away.

Half time: Hill of Beath 1-0 Musselburgh Athletic.      Burgh did not have one shot on target in this period.

Four minutes into second half Burgh claimed a penalty when Jackie Myles came down. Referee ignored this plea as well. On 58 minutes, Jordan Urro was booked for challenge on Watt. Hill of Beath attacked down left wing when ball went out for throw in. Although a HoB player had last touch, perhaps with forward movement, ref gave throw in to home side. As ball came to Kirby, he hit good cross into box. Again, Watt rose unchallenged to head his second goal of match. With 60 minutes played Hill of Beath led 2-0.

Following the goal Daniel McBay came on for Bradley Whyte. HoB 3rd goal came on 68 minutes. From a corner, this time from left hand side, substitute, no.12, crossed ball into box and Jake Mitchell headed in, yet again unchallenged! Nine minutes later, the same player claimed a penalty, but ref issued yellow card for simulation. 

In the remaining minutes,  a couple of chances came for both sides. Late on,  Mathu King managed to get Burgh’s one and only shot on target. Keeper, Hall, made an easy save. Last minute of match, Declan O’Kane was booked for a tackle, with Reid also booked for HoB, which was assumed for speaking out to referee.

Full time: Hill of Beath 3-0 Musselburgh Athletic; a result which dropped Burgh to 15th in league.

A very disappointing performance from Musselburgh Athletic. All goals conceded were unchallenged headers from in and around the 6 yard box, and with 2 centre halfs on the bench alongside a goalkeeper and assistant manager it was difficult to change things. 

A "6 pointer" looms next week! 

7 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

Hats of CJ you always give a fair assessment even if you get defeated. I sincerely hope mussy get away from the bottom end of the table. I want local Derby’s not long away trips. 

mussy need to start winning ugly, ok playing nice football but 3 points is all that matter, just look at Bo’ness! Good result for Dunbar yesterday, I’m sure things will change soon for you lads.  

What is your next few fixtures? 

5 minutes ago, BigTboy said:

Hats of CJ you always give a fair assessment even if you get defeated. I sincerely hope mussy get away from the bottom end of the table. I want local Derby’s not long away trips. 

mussy need to start winning ugly, ok playing nice football but 3 points is all that matter, just look at Bo’ness! Good result for Dunbar yesterday, I’m sure things will change soon for you lads.  

What is your next few fixtures? 

I think we will be in the Premier league next season. We have a young manager who is learning trade and gets rave reviews in his permanent coaching job. We also have a good squad of players but something is not clicking at moment, and we need to find the key to this.

I’ve try and be fair in my reports however good/bad. Last two weeks we have been bad! No divine right to win, but biggest disappointment yesterday was only one shot on target. That, as you say, is we try and play nice football. But that is not working just now. Pitch was soaking and HoB used that by having shots from everywhere. Our goalie found this hard to deal with. Only on a couple of occasions did we try same.

Our guys need to be more selfish and take more risks. One comment behind me said, every time Musselburgh attack, players are looking for a pass; not a shot. Another with 30 minutes to go said Hill of Beath now playing as if it is a target match!

Next week, clash of bottom two;  Sauchie away, and had a good win yesterday against Broxburn. Definitely a 6-pointer. Following week at home to 2nd placed Camelon.

I said it a few weeks ago and I don’t want to labour the point but McDonald has to go for me. He should stick to coaching 5 year olds.

He clearly does not working on the defensive aspect of the game which for me is mind boggling. We are a threat going forward but that’s pointless if we’re leaking goals especially at set pieces. 

Mcglynn back for me!

Thought this was an interesting illustration of inflation.

Back in 1912 there was an Olivebank friendly... Musselburgh v Hearts... which drew about 2,000 spectators. Gate receipts were £18 which implies it cost 2d each.

Nowadays it would require 3 spectators to reach £18.