Musselburgh Athletic F.C 2019/20

11 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

I’m now a fully fledged / qualified linesman and I will agree that I may not be be entirely correct; but I am somewhat right! Allegedly; if this match took place in Fife it would be 99.5% likely that a penalty would be given. Elsewhere it would just be the interpretation of the referee on the day!

Form a standing position, then turning your back against the ball, I agree that it would be nigh impossible to have your arms by your side. But who interprets how far would your arms naturally swing would be as you did a 180 degree spin? Bet no manual has an answer!

On the day, can’t remember anyone shouting for a penalty. If anything, Braves were just as surprised as Burgh were that the penalty was awarded. 

Apologies. I didn’t mean that you were wrong - I was just pointing out “hands away from side = penalty” isn’t true all of the time.

In fact, if you’re a qualified linesman then your knowledge of the Laws is much better than most peoples at EoS games. 😀

In terms of how far your arms naturally go - it genuinely is just down to the referee’s interpretation, there is no set position it becomes a handball at.

Away from home most of day and at 7pm, my phone died! Into car and for next 43 had phone on car charger. Match kicked off at 19:44. When I came out of car battery up to a measily 10%. Does anyone care? Well I did as important to note specific moments with times they happened!

Musselburgh U20 kicked off match in bottom half of league after last week’s defeat by Kelty U20. Inverkeithing Hillfoot Swifts having a much better time compared to last season and were 5th in league.

This will be shortest ever first half report as nothing of substance to report. Burgh keeper had two easy saves to make, with the Swifts keeper not having to make any saves.

In 1st 10 matches referee blew seven times for offside; five of which against Musselburgh U20. Very hard for the official to keep up with play and with no linesman, hard to criticise for close calls.

Half time Musselburgh U20s 0-0 Hillfoot Swifts.

Quick dash to car as battery down to 3%. Under 20s don’t hang about and with the downpour at that point, you can see why! Referee blew for start of second half only seven minutes after first half stopped. Battery back up to 7%!

First chance of 2nd half came following an offside decision against Musselburgh. The Swifts goalkeeper played a long ball up-field and there was a chase to the ball between the away no. 11 and Burgh U20 keeper, Ross McCrae, the keeper won the battle to avoid going 1-0 down.

On 50 minutes, Declan Paterson won a tackle and moved up field. The pass went to Lewis Latimer who tried an adventurous shot from 25 yards, but ball blocked. Kyle McFadden bounced and ball played through to Connor Fitzpatrick. From edge of box his shot hit the far side post and into the net. Musselburgh U20 led 1-0.

Two minutes later, scored his second goal. Ball outside the Swifts box and Burgh shot was block. It fell to Connor Fitzpatrick who hit the ball in from 15 yards. Now 2-0 to the home side. Goals were now fast flowing. Inverkeithing we’re defending a Burgh attack’s, then a counterattack saw the Swifts no.10 hit a low shot past an outstretched Ross McRae and deficit reduced to 2-1.

On 61 minutes and rain was teaming down. A drive by the Swifts right back was saved by the Burgh keeper, but Ross McCrae could not keep a hold of ball. Couple of seconds later and ball out for corner. As ball came over, it moved out to edge of box and the away no.8 hit a good shot into the top of the net and 2-2.

At that point Devan Craighead replaced Declan Paterson. Burgh’s heads went down and they nearly went behind on 64 minutes. From a free kick, Ross McCrae had to be brave to come out and block a shot. On 66 minutes it looked like Burgh’s composure was back. Connor was running up left wing when he got hacked. The big attacker carried on and a power drive narrowly missed the target.

A minute later Burgh had a corner. As ball came over, Devan Craighead made a decoy move, with a couple of players chasing. This opened a gap allowing Matty Scotland to score. Home side 3-2. On 68 minutes Cammi Laidlaw replaced by Ethan Wynne.

Burgh were back on the ascendancy and they were further rewarded by a good ball played by Ciaran Young. The ball high into the box and headed in by Connor Fitzpatrick, who got his hat trick and Burgh led 4-2.

Probably the best goal of match was still to come with Ciaran Young again the provider. His forward pass seemed too heavy for a Lewis Latimer to reach. However, he out ran a defender Lewis Latimer placed the ball by an outcoming Swifts keeper. When your team are playing this kind of free flowing football, even in a downpour, it was a joy to watch the Burgh boys play.

A couple of late subs saw Khasim Mdalasini on for hat trick hero Connor Fitzpatrick, on 74 minutes. Then with 13 minutes left Ewan Graham came on for Kyle McFadden. In-between, Aaron Mathewson received a booking.

Final whistle blew and Musselburgh were victorious by 5-2.

Really good performance by all the team in the second half. Two up, then Inverkeithing claw themselves back into match. Devan Craighead came on and this seemed to influence Burgh. Devan likes getting forward and in doing so, gives a Burgh more chances.

Connor Fitzpatrick was obviously Man of match, with Gary Ewing and Matty Scotland strong in defence. Given the wet conditions, Ross McCrae gave a good performance as last man.

The win for Musselburgh U20 puts them back into top eight in league, one place now behind Hillfoot Swifts.

Edited by Casey Jones

7 minutes ago, Casey Jones said:

We’ve only gone and done it! Second final in last 6-7 months and this is the biggie!

Win this final and access to the Scottish cup next season! 

No u need to beat mid annandale or abbey vale to get in Scottish cup. We had a great day out at Lockerbie for the final which will be in Lothian this yr

19 minutes ago, Casey Jones said:

We’ve only gone and done it! Second final in last 6-7 months and this is the biggie!

As noted above you've to beat Oakley next month and then Abbey Vale/Mid Annandale in January to qualify for the Scottish Cup.

However in the previous editions scorelines were Lochar 1-6 LTHV (at Lockerbie)... Tynecastle 3-0 Mid Annandale (at Riccarton)... and Bonnyton 0-4 Camelon (at Lockerbie)...

... so until now EOS team has won without much difficulty.

24 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

No u need to beat mid annandale or abbey vale to get in Scottish cup. We had a great day out at Lockerbie for the final which will be in Lothian this yr

Alan!!, You could have given me till tomorrow, before spoiling my thoughts!!🙁 I know we have to beat Oakley to get the chance, but forgot all about the South Of Scotland play-offs!

14 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

As noted above you've to beat Oakley next month and then Abbey Vale/Mid Annandale in January to qualify for the Scottish Cup.

However in the previous editions scorelines were Lochar 1-6 LTHV (at Lockerbie)... Tynecastle 3-0 Mid Annandale (at Riccarton)... and Bonnyton 0-4 Camelon (at Lockerbie)...

... so until now EOS team has won without much difficulty.

Cheers HJ! Forgot all about the play-off for the winner of the Alex Jack final; till I saw Alan and your comments! 

Way to go yet, Oakley will fancy it as much as we do and then the winners have the South winners to face.  Great game today though and it was great to see a good crowd there.

Edited by RobM

33 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Presumably with Jeanfield's game v Broxburn also postponed due to the Scottish Cup, Musselburgh will be playing them so both aren't idle?

I think and hope that is the plan. Can’t see why not as Jeanfield we’re travelling down anyway for the Blackburn match so, 20 or so added minutes journey and bob’s your uncle!

Despite 20 hours of constant rain, the pre-match pitch inspection at Olivebank got the thumbs up. By the time kick off came at 14:29, the pitch looked in great nick, as Musselburgh lined up against Edinburgh United in the Alex Jack semi-final. In the last round, Burgh beat Inverkeithing Hillfoot Swifts (three places above Edinburgh United in Conference B, while United beat Sauchie (three places below Burgh in Premier League).

Musselburgh made three changes to the team who lost last week to Caledonian Braves. Out went Michael Robinson, John Williams and Liam Gregory, with Paul Grant, Jono McManus and captain Mathu King coming into the starting line up. There was also a starting place for Michael Moffat, who went off injured in last week’s match.

First chance of match went to Edinburgh, when a shot from Maughan was blocked by Paul Grant. The follow up shot was also blocked and possession went to Burgh. The gamble of playing Michael Moffat failed to work and he was subbed in nine minutes . Liam Gregory came on, with Conor Thomson moving to right back.

On 14 minutes Edinburgh United attacked down left hand side. Ball came into the box and a penalty was awarded for a foul by Tom Clare. Up stepped Guiney who sent Paul Grant the wrong way and Edinburgh were 1-0 up. United were further ahead in 25 minutes. Again, on the left wing, Brokie moved up field and into the box, where ball was played to Maughan then to Meikle whose shot was saved by Paul Grant. However, the ball came back to Maughan and his shot made it 2-0 to United.

The away team were well on top at this point and on 31 minutes nearly increased their lead. Tom Clare had the ball on the by-line. As Tom Clare was challenged for the ball, instead of kicking ball out for a throw-in, the kick went out for a corner. As the ball came over a header from Flynn produced an outstanding save by Paul Grant. Two minutes later and United had a free-kick following a foul by Conor Thomson. Up stepped Swanson, but his shot flew over the bar.

Tom Clare was substituted on 34 minutes. Jackie Myles came on with Declan O’Kane dropping back to centre half. A minute later and fortunes improved for the home side. Liam Gregory’s throw-in went to Nathan Evans. He then played ball back. A couple of touches and then, Bradley Whyte unleashed a tremendous shot high and above an outstretched Asher Tufail and United’s lead was reduced to 2-1. With four minutes to go Mathu King went close when his shot was just wide of the post.

Half time: Musselburgh Athletic 1-2 Edinburgh United.

Musselburgh went close to an equaliser on 57 minutes. Play involving Bradley White, Jordan Orru and Jackie Myles saw ball finally with Daniel McBay, but shot went past the post. Then on the hour, a corner by Conor Thomson was cleared on the line and again Mathu King’s shot went past wrong side of the post.

Bradley Whyte was booked on 69 minutes when it seemed like a hard 50-50 challenge with United’s McKinlay. From the free kick, Flynn’s shot went over the bar. On a counter attack in 73 minutes, Nathan Evans floated a good ball into the box and Tufail saved a pin-point header from Mathu King. Four minutes later and Mathu King made way for Darren Downie. In the next move with the ball up the right wing Paul Grant produced a good save from a shot by McKinlay. 

Burgh’s second yellow card was given to Nathan Evans for holding on to a United player. Silly booking as ball was just into the Burgh half. Two minutes later, on 82 minutes, United’s best played, Maughan was subbed with Kerr coming on. This was followed by the equaliser. A punt up the park by Paul Grant was headed down by Darren Downie. Jordan Urru then played to Daniel Downie, who hit a great ball into the United Box. Nathan Evans rose and headed a looping ball over Tufail and landed in the net. Score now 2-2.

The winning goal came with three minutes remaining. A short free kick for Burgh and Declan O’Kane hit the ball into Edinburgh’s penalty box. Darren Downie, again headed the ball down for a one-two with Nathan Evans. Ball was played to Liam Gregory and as the shot came in, not sure if last touch was from Liam Gregory or a United defender. However, Darren Downie nipped into the six yard box and volleyed the ball into the net for a stunning last 10 minute comeback for Musselburgh. 

As the referee blew the final whistle, a valiant effort by Edinburgh United turned into disappointment as Musselburgh won the match 3-2.

In the other semi-final Oakley also came back from a losing position to beat Dunbar 2-1. The final will be on Sunday 24 November - venue still to be decided. 

7 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Presumably with Jeanfield's game v Broxburn also postponed due to the Scottish Cup, Musselburgh will be playing them so both aren't idle?

6 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

I think and hope that is the plan. Can’t see why not as Jeanfield we’re travelling down anyway

On 19/10/2019 at 19:08, Casey Jones said:

On 19/10/2019 at 19:48, Casey Jones said:

Cheers HJ! Forgot all about the play-off for the winner of the Alex Jack final; till I saw Alan and your comments! 

Ye surely canny be relying on the Alex Jack Cup to get in next years Scottish   ? 

Are ye no far enough on to be confident of having a licence by then  ? 

45 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Ye surely canny be relying on the Alex Jack Cup to get in next years Scottish   ? 

Are ye no far enough on to be confident of having a licence by then  ? 

Hi NB!

Not on the committee so I do not know what the up to date position is on that.

Therefore, as it stands, we do not have the license so Alex Jack cup is the best option at this stage!

How is WW position on if the floodlights will be up in time?

1 hour ago, Casey Jones said:

Hi NB!

Not on the committee so I do not know what the up to date position is on that.

Therefore, as it stands, we do not have the license so Alex Jack cup is the best option at this stage!

How is WW position on if the floodlights will be up in time?

I was only thinking along the lines that as it stands there wouldn't be much left in improvements for a licence  ? 

According to the website nearly 10.5 k raised by ww for lights so far with a few more functions to come.Hopefully make the deadline.  

3 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

I was only thinking along the lines that as it stands there wouldn't be much left in improvements for a licence  ? 

According to the website nearly 10.5 k raised by ww for lights so far with a few more functions to come.Hopefully make the deadline.  

We have as I understand, just started the process of fundraising for floodlights. Other improvements are progressing.  

Think since moving over to East of Scotland League fans are more and more realising that it is not just a football club you come to on a Saturday to support your team. 

But rather, it is a business where all monies raised has to be carefully monitored and spent, in order that the club stays afloat, that we are able to play at a competitive standard and we can look forward with a plan that enables the club to get a license as quickly but also as pain free as possible.

Exciting times ahead and I think we have office bearers,  Committee, playing side and fans that are buying in to this concept. 

We have as I understand, just started the process of fundraising for floodlights. Other improvements are progressing.  
Think since moving over to East of Scotland League fans are more and more realising that it is not just a football club you come to on a Saturday to support your team. 
But rather, it is a business where all monies raised has to be carefully monitored and spent, in order that the club stays afloat, that we are able to play at a competitive standard and we can look forward with a plan that enables the club to get a license as quickly but also as pain free as possible.
Exciting times ahead and I think we have office bearers,  Committee, playing side and fans that are buying in to this concept. 

Casey, I'm coming along to the jeanfield game on Saturday, is there a wee bar in the clubhouse I can use, or is it for club members only?? Cheers

4 hours ago, philpy said:
On 21/10/2019 at 17:56, Casey Jones said:

Casey, I'm coming along to the jeanfield game on Saturday, is there a wee bar in the clubhouse I can use, or is it for club members only?? Cheers

There is a bar waiting for your custom philpy!

There will be a group coming for hospitality but it is open for all supporters, part of the main complex. 

Glad you are coming along and hope you enjoy the match!