Musselburgh Athletic F.C 2019/20

1 hour ago, Casey Jones said:

Who would be a linesman today! I think a bit of banter is fine - foul abuse is not! I'd rather have them than not! 

Yep. I’ve spoken to a couple of the refs at EOS level who say being on the line’s worse than reffing the game for the abuse you hear! 

Still, I’ll be doing it in the next year or so if I progress in refereeing, so I’ll see what I think of it then. 🙂

Edited by Ormi

12 minutes ago, Ormi said:

Yep. I’ve spoken to a couple of the refs at EOS level who say being on the line’s worse than reffing the game for the abuse you hear! 

Still, I’ll be doing it in the next year or so if I progress in refereeing, so I’ll see what I think of it then. 🙂

Good luck with the refereeing as without officials; games a gonner! 

On 27 July 2019, Musselburgh left Dunbar wondering how they had lost the first league match of the season. Burgh led 2-1 with seven minutes to go, when Dunbar were also reduced to 10 men. However, a stirring comeback for the home side, scoring in 84 and 87 minutes, saw Dunbar grab the three points.

Yesterday saw the reverse fixture at Olivebank. Musselburgh played their 15th league match; one more than Dunbar. Burgh made three changes to the team that lost 3-2 at Jeanfield a fortnight ago. Paul Grant returned in goals in place of Michael Robinson. With a tot-up of indiscipline points, Michael Moffat was now out for two matches, while Conor Thomson was benched. In came Brian Martin and a first start for Daniel McBay since 26 October 2019.

First chance of match came in the second minute. A good run down the right wing by Dunbar’s Ballantyne saw the winger cross the ball into the Burgh six yard box. The captain, Tait was inches away from getting a touch on the ball and with that Burgh were spared going behind so early in the game. Ninety seconds later, Handling had a speculative shot from 25 yards, but it was easily saved by Burgh’s Paul Grant.

Brian Martin was booked on fifteen minutes for bringing down a Dunbar forward. The referee was surrounded by five Dunbar players all looking for a red card to be given for a last man challenge. After a couple of minutes stoppage, Ballantyne’s free kick was a low shot, which went straight to the Burgh keeper.

First goal of match came in 27 minutes. From a Dunbar kick out, Brian Martin headed ball back towards the opposition half. A move involving four Burgh players ended when Jackie Myles played the ball out to the left wing. Nathan Evans crossed into the box and Mathu King’s first touch was to control the ball. The second touch saw Mathu King stretch forward and place the ball to the left of keeper, Laing and Musselburgh were 1-0 up.

Burgh should have gone 2-0  up on 31 minutes, but Jordan Orru’s shot came off the crossbar. Then on 38 minutes, Darren Downie went down in the Dunbar box and gestured that a penalty should be awarded. However, play moved on and a quick break up field saw Ballantyne’s shot soar over the Burgh bar.

The equaliser came on 41 minutes. Kean played ball out to Harding, who quickly passed to an approaching Ingram. The defender moved ball into the Burgh box, where Ballantyne passed to Tait. The Dunbar captain hit his shot between Declan O’Kane and Paul Grant and the ball landed in the corner of the net.

Half time: Musselburgh Athletic 1-1 Dunbar United.

First booking of second half came when Fiddler brought down Daniel McBay; in front of the dugout side linesman. As the referee blew the whistle and produced the yellow card, Fiddler went face to face with the linesman to plead his innocence.

It did not take Musselburgh long to restore their lead. Burgh were awarded a free kick on the right hand side of field. Declan O’Kane’s cross went to far side of goal area and had to be flicked back into the six yard box. Brian Martin, Burgh’s captain for the day, in recognition of his 100th match for the home side, headed the ball downwards, which was saved by Laing. Brian Martin was first to the ball and smashed it high into the net. Burgh led 2-1 after 48 minutes.

On 53 minutes, a great run up the left wing saw Jordan Orru pass to Nathan Evans, who returned the ball as the left back moved into the Dunbar box. Jordon Urro then played ball across the box. The first shot was saved by Laing, then Darren Downie had ball in the net, just as the referee blew for offside. 

In a two minute spell, two Dunbar subs were used. On came McCraw and K Tait, who replaced Fiddler and Kean. This was followed by Musselburgh’s Bradley Whyte coming on for Bob Wilson on 71 minutes. Daniel McBay moved to right back. Darren Downie was booked shortly after, for a foul on McFarlane.

On 76 minutes, Burgh were playing ball out of defence. Ball was squared to Daniel McBay, who was then dispossessed by the Dunbar captain. Tait moved the ball into the Burgh box, where Ballantyne was brought down and a penalty awarded. Ballantyne took the kick himself, with the ball coming off the base of the post. With an open goal facing him, Tait somehow managed to hit the rebound off the bar. Dunbar then claimed another penalty as one of their players came down. The referee ignored the pleas, with the ball going out for a corner.

Late subs saw Neave replace Ballantyne for Dunbar and Ross Larner and Conor Thomson coming on for the home side in place of Daniel McBay and Darren Downie. 

Three  minutes remained when Dunbar had the ball in the Burgh net, but the referee had blown for offside. Burgh then moved upfield and Mathu King must have thought that there was a rugby scout on the terracing as he blasted the ball over the bar and easily clear the high fence behind the goals. Into injury time and Handling was booked for a foul on Jackie Myles.

Final score: Musselburgh  Athletic 2-1 Dunbar United.

Not the best match witnessed at a Olivebank this season. However, Musselburgh got the win they badly needed. As a result of this other final scores involving teams at bottom of league, Musselburgh moved out of the bottom three and up to 11th in the league.

The 1934 Man of the Match award went to captain for the day, Brian Martin.

Edited by Casey Jones

On 30/12/2019 at 00:04, Casey Jones said:

On 27 July 2019, Musselburgh left Dunbar wondering how they had lost the first league match of the season. Burgh led 2-1 with seven minutes to go, when Dunbar were also reduced to 10 men. However, a stirring comeback for the home side, scoring in 84 and 87 minutes, saw Dunbar grab the three points.

Yesterday saw the reverse fixture at Olivebank. Musselburgh played their 15th league match; one more than Dunbar. Burgh made three changes to the team that lost 3-2 at Jeanfield a fortnight ago. Paul Grant returned in goals in place of Michael Robinson. With a tot-up of indiscipline points, Michael Moffat was now out for two matches, while Conor Thomson was benched. In came Brian Martin and a first start for Daniel McBay since 26 October 2019.

First chance of match came in the second minute. A good run down the right wing by Dunbar’s Ballantyne saw the winger cross the ball into the Burgh six yard box. The captain, Tait was inches away from getting a touch on the ball and with that Burgh were spared going behind so early in the game. Ninety seconds later, Handling had a speculative shot from 25 yards, but it was easily saved by Burgh’s Paul Grant.

Brian Martin was booked on fifteen minutes for bringing down a Dunbar forward. The referee was surrounded by five Dunbar players all looking for a red card to be given for a last man challenge. After a couple of minutes stoppage, Ballantyne’s free kick was a low shot, which went straight to the Burgh keeper.

First goal of match came in 27 minutes. From a Dunbar kick out, Brian Martin headed ball back towards the opposition half. A move involving four Burgh players ended when Jackie Myles played the ball out to the left wing. Nathan Evans crossed into the box and Mathu King’s first touch was to control the ball. The second touch saw Mathu King stretch forward and place the ball to the left of keeper, Laing and Musselburgh were 1-0 up.

Burgh should have gone 2-0  up on 31 minutes, but Jordan Orru’s shot came off the crossbar. Then on 38 minutes, Darren Downie went down in the Dunbar box and gestured that a penalty should be awarded. However, play moved on and a quick break up field saw Ballantyne’s shot soar over the Burgh bar.

The equaliser came on 41 minutes. Kean played ball out to Harding, who quickly passed to an approaching Ingram. The defender moved ball into the Burgh box, where Ballantyne passed to Tait. The Dunbar captain hit his shot between Declan O’Kane and Paul Grant and the ball landed in the corner of the net.

Half time: Musselburgh Athletic 1-1 Dunbar United.

First booking of second half came when Fiddler brought down Daniel McBay; in front of the dugout side linesman. As the referee blew the whistle and produced the yellow card, Fiddler went face to face with the linesman to plead his innocence.

It did not take Musselburgh long to restore their lead. Burgh were awarded a free kick on the right hand side of field. Declan O’Kane’s cross went to far side of goal area and had to be flicked back into the six yard box. Brian Martin, Burgh’s captain for the day, in recognition of his 100th match for the home side, headed the ball downwards, which was saved by Laing. Brian Martin was first to the ball and smashed it high into the net. Burgh led 2-1 after 48 minutes.

On 53 minutes, a great run up the left wing saw Jordan Orru pass to Nathan Evans, who returned the ball as the left back moved into the Dunbar box. Jordon Urro then played ball across the box. The first shot was saved by Laing, then Darren Downie had ball in the net, just as the referee blew for offside. 

In a two minute spell, two Dunbar subs were used. On came McCraw and K Tait, who replaced Fiddler and Kean. This was followed by Musselburgh’s Bradley Whyte coming on for Bob Wilson on 71 minutes. Daniel McBay moved to right back. Darren Downie was booked shortly after, for a foul on McFarlane.

On 76 minutes, Burgh were playing ball out of defence. Ball was squared to Daniel McBay, who was then dispossessed by the Dunbar captain. Tait moved the ball into the Burgh box, where Ballantyne was brought down and a penalty awarded. Ballantyne took the kick himself, with the ball coming off the base of the post. With an open goal facing him, Tait somehow managed to hit the rebound off the bar. Dunbar then claimed another penalty as one of their players came down. The referee ignored the pleas, with the ball going out for a corner.

Late subs saw Neave replace Ballantyne for Dunbar and Ross Larner and Conor Thomson coming on for the home side in place of Daniel McBay and Darren Downie. 

Three  minutes remained when Dunbar had the ball in the Burgh net, but the referee had blown for offside. Burgh then moved upfield and Mathu King must have thought that there was a rugby scout on the terracing as he blasted the ball over the bar and easily clear the high fence behind the goals. Into injury time and Handling was booked for a foul on Jackie Myles.

Final score: Musselburgh  Athletic 2-1 Dunbar United.

Not the best match witnessed at a Olivebank this season. However, Musselburgh got the win they badly needed. As a result of this other final scores involving teams at bottom of league, Musselburgh moved out of the bottom three and up to 11th in the league.

The 1934 Man of the Match award went to captain for the day, Brian Martin.

Cheers, as always, CJ. 

The result was more important than the performance. I can say the same about Saturday v Tranent too. I fancy Musselburgh will get at least a point from the game based on their excellent home form. A bumper crowd of up to 500 should be anticipated! 

Edited by Passthebaw

3 hours ago, Passthebaw said:

Cheers, as always, Brian. 

The result was more important than the performance. I can say the same about Saturday v Tranent too. I fancy Musselburgh will get at least a point from the game based on their excellent home form. A bumper crowd of up to 500 should be anticipated! 

HNY PTB! (Ha ha - acronyms are sometimes used too often; particular when people have not go a clue what they mean!)

i think  next 4 or 5 league matches will be like cup finals for Musselburgh as we look to clear further away from bottom 3. I go to each match thinking that Burgh will come away with all 3 points! Sadly I have only been right on a 1/3 of matches this season. I will stick with my philosophy for match against Tranent.

i appear to be at odds with a number of Burgh fans regarding the 2-1 win against Dunbar! Not our best performance but I actually enjoyed the game! Thought that on the whole Musselburgh and Dunbar were equal during the game, but we battled all match. Lost a number of tackles, but won a lot too. We scored two to their one. Being a devastating defender in the past, I loved being involved more in the 90 minutes than less; as long as we were in winning positions!

I’d have been gutted if Burgh lost last weekend, but we did not; so I share your mind that result is the main thing that should be in players thought against Saturday! MTB.

Having beaten the top team teams already this season; Bo’ness in the Alex Jack Cup and Camelon in the league, Musselburgh has shown that on their day, they can beat teams at either end of the league.

Hopefully Burgh can do this again ttoday against Tranent!

MTB!

On 04/01/2020 at 04:32, Casey Jones said:

Having beaten the top team teams already this season; Bo’ness in the Alex Jack Cup and Camelon in the league, Musselburgh has shown that on their day, they can beat teams at either end of the league.

Hopefully Burgh can do this again ttoday against Tranent!

MTB!

Hopefully we can get the win over you on Saturday but burgh have had a good record against us 

43 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

Hopefully we can get the win over you on Saturday but burgh have had a good record against us 

Let’s get the negative out of the way first!

Burgh have lost all 8 away league matches this season!  However, we beat Camelon at home 6 weeks ago, so need to face you with confidence and hopefully break our dreadful away record!

Last time Camelon beat Musselburgh in any league / cup business was back in 2013-14.

45 minutes ago, Casey Jones said:

Let’s get the negative out of the way first!

Burgh have lost all 8 away league matches this season!  However, we beat Camelon at home 6 weeks ago, so need to face you with confidence and hopefully break our dreadful away record!

Last time Camelon beat Musselburgh in any league / cup business was back in 2013-14.

See you there on Saturday cmon camelon 

As an add on to last comment re away losses, Musselburgh’s next three matches are all away; at Camelon, Linlithgow and Whitehill. I am sure the manager will have a target of how many points he wants Burgh to get in these matches. I think we can come away with 6 points at least. Given eight losses in a row, perhaps a tall order but the way we are playing, certainly achievable.

First footers to Olivebank in 2020, were local rivals Tranent Juniors. On 7 September 2019, the teams met at Tranent with a 2-1 win for the home side.

Interestingly; (i) both teams ended 2019 with 2-1 home wins, and (ii) in15 league matches this season, seven of these involving Musselburgh also ended in 2-1 results. Would this one end with the same scoreline?

Despite last week’s league match win against Dunbar United; the home side made two changes. Dropping to the bench were Darren Downie and Daniel McBay with Conor Thomson and Bradley Whyte coming into the starting line up.

Before the match kicked off, there was a minutes applause, following the sad news that Scott Glynn MBE, passed away on New Year’s  day.

The first half, in front of a big crowd was largely a battle between the two midfields, more or less nullifying each other teams attacking options. On a few occasions, defencespecially were breached bringing saves from both keepers, Paul Grant and Ally Adams.

Tranent left back Andy Jones gave Jono McManus a few anxious moments and had a couple of efforts on goal. The first was a 1-2, which took Jones into the box. His low shot was saved at the near side post, by the Burgh keeper. On the other occasion another low shot narrowly past-by Paul Grant’s right hand post. 

For Musselburgh, a through ball by Burgh captain Mathu King went into the Tranent box. Conor Thomson’s shot was saved by the leg of Ally Adams and cleared away by Brad Donaldson.

On 38 minutes, a free kick by Jono McManus was met by Nathan Evans, but his shot was blocked and put out of play. A short corner by Conor Thomson was cleared and a shot by Declan O’Kane soared high over the bar. Four minutes later and a needless yellow card was shown to Brian Martin for a push on Watson. The same Tranent player took the free kick and as it came into the Burgh box, Jordan Orru back headed the ball. Thankfully for the home side, the ball bounced off the bar and out of play. Brad Donaldson was first to the ball, from the corner, which Declan O’Kane managed to block for another corner, which came to nothing.

Half time: Musselburgh Athletic 0-0 Tranent Juniors

Burgh had a corner in the first minute of the second half, but Mathu King's effort was wide. On 49 minutes and a good run up the left wing by Jordan Orru was halted by the Tranent centre half McKenzie, who was booked. A few minutes later and another corner to Musselburgh. Taken by Conor Thomson, it was headed by Mathu King but cleared on the line, with Jones heading clear.

On 63 minutes, Callum Donaldson played a great ball through to Barrett. But, the Tranent left winger could not control the ball and Paul Grant was able to clear the danger. From the kick out, Tranent were straight back on the attack. Although the far side linesman raised his flag for offside, the referee played on, but Burgh were able to clear.

A Musselburgh substitution saw Darren Downie replace Conor Thomson on 64 minutes. A couple of minutes later, Tranent were awarded a few kick on the edge of the Burgh box. The shot, however, went straight to Paul Grant.

A second yellow card for Tranent was given to Barrett, on 70 minutes. for a high studs challenge. The free kick, on half-line, was floated into the Tranent box by Declan O’Kane. The ball was headed on by Brian Martin and then touch on by Darren Downie. A shot by Nathan Evans was saved at point blank range by Ally Adams and out of play. From the corner, Mathu King volleyed the ball into the six yard box. Brian Martin'Saint shot ran past both posts, when a goal seemed the likely outcome!

Before the by-kick could be taken, Ian Black came on for Tranent on 71 minutes with Watson going off.  As play resumed, the ball came up the right wing and Brian Martin lost control of the ball with Stephen MacDonald running on and into the box. Again, when a goal seemed easier, MacDonald’s shot missed the target. 

On 77 minutes, Ian Black seemed to bring down Jackie Myles. When play stopped, Jordan Orru told the ref an elbow had been used. Jordan Urro and Ian Black then faced each other with Black raising his hand and slapping Jordan Orru in the face. The referee produced the yellow card for the Tranent midfielder, when most Burgh supporters felt a red should have been awarded.

With 80 minutes played, from a Burgh throw-in, Mathu King got a touch, moving the ball into the Tranent box. Darren Downie and Jackie Myles seemed to get in each other’s way; the result of which, saw the shot go straight to Adams. 

Towards the final stages, both teams had a couple of chances. A ball into the box and a shot by Nathan Evans produced a good save by Adams. Then, into the last seven minutes, a 25 yard blast by Bradley Whyte, again had to be saved by Tranent keeper, Adams.

With six minutes to play, a shot, on the edge of the Burgh box by MacDonald was saved by Paul Grant. A couple of minutes later, another good move up the left wing by Jones. However, his attempt was not as good as the build up.

Full time Musselburgh Athletic 0-0 Tranent Juniors 

Given the balance of play, a draw was probably the fairest result. Other results in the league saw Tranent Juniors drop one place to fourth, while Musselburgh remained in 11th.

Edited by Casey Jones

9 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

First footers to Olivebank in 2020, were local rivals Tranent Juniors. On 7 September 2019, the teams met at Tranent with a 2-1 win for the home side.

Interestingly; (i) both teams ended 2019 with 2-1 home wins, and (ii) in15 league matches this season, seven of these involving Musselburgh also ended in 2-1 results. Would this one end with the same scoreline?

Despite last week’s league match win against Dunbar United; the home side made two changes. Dropping to the bench were Darren Downie and Daniel McBay with Conor Thomson and Bradley Whyte coming into the starting line up.

Before the match kicked off, there was a minutes applause, following the sad news that Scott Glynn MBE, passed away on New Year’s  day.

The first half, in front of a big crowd was largely a battle between the two midfields, more or less nullifying each other teams attacking options. On a few occasions, defencespecially were breached bringing saves from both keepers, Paul Grant and Ally Adams.

Tranent left back Andy Jones gave Jono McManus a few anxious moments and had a couple of efforts on goal. The first was a 1-2, which took Jones into the box. His low shot was saved at the near side post, by the Burgh keeper. On the other occasion another low shot narrowly past-by Paul Grant’s right hand post. 

For Musselburgh, a through ball by Burgh captain Mathu King went into the Tranent box. Conor Thomson’s shot was saved by the leg of Ally Adams and cleared away by Brad Donaldson.

On 38 minutes, a free kick by Jono McManus was met by Nathan Evans, but his shot was blocked and put out of play. A short corner by Conor Thomson was cleared and a shot by Declan O’Kane soared high over the bar. Four minutes later and a needless yellow card was shown to Brian Martin for a push on Watson. The same Tranent player took the free kick and as it came into the Burgh box, Jordan Orru back headed the ball. Thankfully for the home side, the ball bounced off the bar and out of play. Brad Donaldson was first to the ball, from the corner, which Declan O’Kane managed to block for another corner, which came to nothing.

Half time: Musselburgh Athletic 0-0 Tranent Juniors

Burgh had a corner in the first minute of the second half, but Mathu King's effort was wide. On 49 minutes and a good run up the left wing by Jordan Orru was halted by the Tranent centre half McKenzie, who was booked. A few minutes later and another corner to Musselburgh. Taken by Conor Thomson, it was headed by Mathu King but cleared on the line, with Jones heading clear.

On 63 minutes, Callum Donaldson played a great ball through to Barrett. But, the Tranent left winger could not control the ball and Paul Grant was able to clear the danger. From the kick out, Tranent were straight back on the attack. Although the far side linesman raised his flag for offside, the referee played on, but Burgh were able to clear.

A Musselburgh substitution saw Darren Downie replace Conor Thomson on 64 minutes. A couple of minutes later, Tranent were awarded a few kick on the edge of the Burgh box. The shot, however, went straight to Paul Grant.

A second yellow card for Tranent was given to Barrett, on 70 minutes. for a high studs challenge. The free kick, on half-line, was floated into the Tranent box by Declan O’Kane. The ball was headed on by Brian Martin and then touch on by Darren Downie. A shot by Nathan Evans was saved at point blank range by Ally Adams and out of play. From the corner, Mathu King volleyed the ball into the six yard box. Brian Martin'Saint shot ran past both posts, when a goal seemed the likely outcome!

Before the by-kick could be taken, Ian Black came on for Tranent on 71 minutes with Watson going off.  As play resumed, the ball came up the right wing and Brian Martin lost control of the ball with Stephen MacDonald running on and into the box. Again, when a goal seemed easier, MacDonald’s shot missed the target. 

On 77 minutes, Ian Black seemed to bring down Jackie Myles. When play stopped, Jordan Orru told the ref an elbow had been used. Jordan Urro and Ian Black then faced each other with Black raising his hand and slapping Jordan Orru in the face. The referee produced the yellow card for the Tranent midfielder, when most Burgh supporters felt a red should have been awarded.

With 80 minutes played, from a Burgh throw-in, Mathu King got a touch, moving the ball into the Tranent box. Darren Downie and Jackie Myles seemed to get in each other’s way; the result of which, saw the shot go straight to Adams. 

Towards the final stages, both teams had a couple of chances. A ball into the box and a shot by Nathan Evans produced a good save by Adams. Then, into the last seven minutes, a 25 yard blast by Bradley Whyte, again had to be saved by Tranent keeper, Adams.

With six minutes to play, a shot, on the edge of the Burgh box by MacDonald was saved by Paul Grant. A couple of minutes later, another good move up the left wing by Jones. However, his attempt was not as good as the build up.

Full time Musselburgh Athletic 0-0 Tranent Juniors 

Given the balance of play, a draw was probably the fairest result. Other results in the league saw Tranent Juniors drop one place to fourth, while Musselburgh remained in 11th.

Cheers, as always, CJ. See you back at Olivebank in February! 😱

20 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Thought I'd post this here. Visiting fans always welcome at Rosewell.

IMG_20200106_100447.jpg

Thank you NB

I am not sure how many of the Burgh supporters come on to P&B - so I have copied this to the club and supporters club twitter. looks a good deal!!

Looking forward to my first visit to your ground a week on Saturday.

10 minutes ago, Casey Jones said:

Thank you NB

I am not sure how many of the Burgh supporters come on to P&B - so I have copied this to the club and supporters club twitter. looks a good deal!!

Looking forward to my first visit to your ground a week on Saturday.

Thanks Casey.

See you then. 👍

21 minutes ago, Casey Jones said:

Hopefully that is not me who give you a negative mark earlier. Never understand people who do that in the first place!

Defo not you bud,cut a long story there was a ww fan on here who hasn't been seen near our club for at least 2 years (mainly follows liverpool now) but liked a wind up or 2. He's now banned from the forum and for some unknown reason a certain person seems to have  a personal agenda against everything I post. Must think I'm in touch regularly wi said person and yes its very childish behaviour but Big shoulders and all that it'll take more than a red dot or 2 to get rid o me bud. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by newcastle broon

2 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

Defo not you bud,cut a long story there was a ww fan on here who hasn't been seen near our club for at least 2 years (mainly follows liverpool now) but liked a wind up or 2. He's now banned from the forum and for some unknown reason a certain person seems to have  a personal agenda against everything I post. Must think I'm in touch regularly wi said person and yes its very childish behaviour but Big shoulders and all that it'll take more than a red dot or 2 to get rid o me bud. 🤷‍♂️

Cheers for the explanation!

11 hours ago, Passthebaw said:

Cheers, as always, CJ. See you back at Olivebank in February! 😱

Look forward to resuming our conversations on the West terracing at Olivebank.

Are you just a local traveller now or might you take in one of our away fixtures in the coming weeks?