Musselburgh Athletic F.C 2019/20

On 26/06/2020 at 18:07, Casey Jones said:

Floodlights installed in past few days at Olivebank.

Still a lot of work to be done to be sure we meet all the required categories in order to get the SFA license at end of next season.

At a time when we still do not know when the season will begin, at least this news gives the Burgh fans a bit of a boost.

Cheers CJ, came to this thread just to see what was happening with the SFA licence. Read that the floodlights were up but hadn't seen anything yet about it being granted.

Hopefully goes through soon. I'm just a 10 minute walk from Olivebank and I'm buzzing at the thought of Scottish Cup matches there. The floodlights means potential for midweek games which is great news in it's own right. Will the Under 20's start playing at Olivebank now or will they still play at Pinkie do you know?

4 hours ago, Connor1874 said:

Cheers CJ, came to this thread just to see what was happening with the SFA licence. Read that the floodlights were up but hadn't seen anything yet about it being granted.

Hopefully goes through soon. I'm just a 10 minute walk from Olivebank and I'm buzzing at the thought of Scottish Cup matches there. The floodlights means potential for midweek games which is great news in it's own right. Will the Under 20's start playing at Olivebank now or will they still play at Pinkie do you know?

The lights were powered on/ tested tonight for the first time at night and all appeared to go well! 

Not sure what you mean by Granted? When the season begins, if it is same as recent installations, Burgh will now be able to host night matches under the lights. Licenses are only approved once a season, usually rubber stamped at the SFA annual general meeting, next one taking place around end June 2021.

However, Burgh must be compliant with a number of other requirements in order to get the license, including a fit for purpose First Aid room, proper signage around the ground, more that one entrance / exit in ground. All of this has to be completed in time for a ground inspection of all the requirements which, took place this season at the end of February, so still a lot of work to go.

Musselburgh U20s will still have home matches at Pinkie, mostly on Friday nights. However, I think that a couple of matches will take place at Olivebank, as has been intimated on Musselburgh U20s twitter feed. 

Thanks for the interest! 👍

17 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

The lights were powered on/ tested tonight for the first time at night and all appeared to go well! 

Not sure what you mean by Granted? When the season begins, if it is same as recent installations, Burgh will now be able to host night matches under the lights. Licenses are only approved once a season, usually rubber stamped at the SFA annual general meeting, next one taking place around end June 2021.

However, Burgh must be compliant with a number of other requirements in order to get the license, including a fit for purpose First Aid room, proper signage around the ground, more that one entrance / exit in ground. All of this has to be completed in time for a ground inspection of all the requirements which, took place this season at the end of February, so still a lot of work to go.

Musselburgh U20s will still have home matches at Pinkie, mostly on Friday nights. However, I think that a couple of matches will take place at Olivebank, as has been intimated on Musselburgh U20s twitter feed. 

Thanks for the interest! 👍

I just meant because when I read the news about the grant funding months back, it mentioned the likes of Tranent getting funding too, and seen they'd been given a licence, but hadn't read anything about Mussy. I just assumed that the lights was enough. Here's hoping the licence comes through next year.

Cheers for the info CJ. Will definitely keep an eye out for future updates.

2 hours ago, Connor1874 said:

I just meant because when I read the news about the grant funding months back, it mentioned the likes of Tranent getting funding too, and seen they'd been given a licence, but hadn't read anything about Mussy. I just assumed that the lights was enough. Here's hoping the licence comes through next year.

Cheers for the info CJ. Will definitely keep an eye out for future updates.

This Season, Haddington, Tranent and Musselburgh, were very fortunate to get a good whack of funding from East Lothian Council. Following this, Haddington and Tranent chose to go for this license this year, while Musselburgh preferred to leave this quest till next season. Fortunately for Burgh, winning the Alex Jack Cup and South-East Shield, gained us entry into next season's, Scottish Cup, in effect, making the deference that much better!

As said elsewhere last night, that is 5 out of the 6 East Lothian teams in the East of Scotland League with floodlights now. Hopefully, at the end of season 20-21,  Musselburgh and Dunbar can join Haddington, Preston and Tranent so that all 5 teams have the SFA licenses. As a smaller club, it will be harder for Ormiston to make it a full house, but I wish them all the best if and when they decide to go through the license process.

On 08/07/2020 at 20:21, Casey Jones said:

This Season, Haddington, Tranent and Musselburgh, were very fortunate to get a good whack of funding from East Lothian Council. Following this, Haddington and Tranent chose to go for this license this year, while Musselburgh preferred to leave this quest till next season. Fortunately for Burgh, winning the Alex Jack Cup and South-East Shield, gained us entry into next season's, Scottish Cup, in effect, making the deference that much better!

As said elsewhere last night, that is 5 out of the 6 East Lothian teams in the East of Scotland League with floodlights now. Hopefully, at the end of season 20-21,  Musselburgh and Dunbar can join Haddington, Preston and Tranent so that all 5 teams have the SFA licenses. As a smaller club, it will be harder for Ormiston to make it a full house, but I wish them all the best if and when they decide to go through the license process.

Excellent news.

23 minutes ago, the tin man said:

Seems a bit of a shambles that ormi didn't get lights aswell. Seem to remember the council losing there stand aswell hopefully theyl be replacing that for them

Not sure it was a shambles!

Most likely reason is that Ormiston cannot afford getting floodlights. They are a comparative small club when considering the other 5 EoS clubs from East Lothian. Although the council granted funding to Musselburgh, there was still a huge amount of other funding to raise before the floodlights could be installed.

• 2 weeks later...

Paul (Bobo) Grant was voted Musselburgh’s Players player of the season for 2020-21. Given there were a number of players who had a good/great season. Being given the award by his team mates, shows how well Bobo performed during the year! 👍

Mathu King was voted supporters Player of the year. Although in, what should have been his testimonial year, Mathu’s standards show no sign of reducing. As well as a great goal scorer, he is just as good in the captain’s role and his around display! 👍

Darren Downie got award for top goal scorer, with 26 goals. Darren was also East Of Scotland, Premier League, top scorer, for 2020-21. 👍

On 09/07/2020 at 22:45, Casey Jones said:

Not sure it was a shambles!

Most likely reason is that Ormiston cannot afford getting floodlights. They are a comparative small club when considering the other 5 EoS clubs from East Lothian. Although the council granted funding to Musselburgh, there was still a huge amount of other funding to raise before the floodlights could be installed.

Ormiston are still part of East Lothian though and the council have given payment to other teams. Money whether funding floodlights or not could've been spent equally among all the clubs involved. 

5 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

Ormiston are still part of East Lothian though and the council have given payment to other teams. Money whether funding floodlights or not could've been spent equally among all the clubs involved. 

Nothing to argue about there NB! 👍

i just responded to the ‘shambles’ comment.

Who knows if Ormiston applied for funding or not this year?

Who knows if they applied for funding this year?

Perhaps they received funding in recent years, given they have made recent changes to the ground (I think).

Does anyone know when the Scottish Cup draw is being made  (this season's 1) ?

I would like to wish Musselburgh all the best for the biggest moment in their history. I am sure there will be thousands...10s of thousands of fans wanting a ticket.

It really will be Something that no amount of money could replace.

Good luck and All the best.

35 minutes ago, The Faceman said:

I would like to wish Musselburgh all the best for the biggest moment in their history. I am sure there will be thousands...10s of thousands of fans wanting a ticket.

No idea! Would not think anytime soon or until at least until it is confirmed when Tier 5 and 6 have it confirmed when their season commences.

Think you are being very/overly optimistic with fans wanting a ticket. Thousands of tickets is fantasy league scenario, particularly for preliminary round(s) and without knowing who we will face.

Still, it is something that players and regular fans eager await! 

Edited by Casey Jones

11 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

No idea! Would not think anytime soon or until at least until it is confirmed when Tier 5 and 6 have it confirmed when their season commences.

Think you are being very/overly optimistic with fans wanting a ticket. Thousands of tickets is fantasy league scenario, particularly for preliminary round(s) and without knowing who we will face.

Still, it is something that players and regular fans eager await! 

Brian are you joking?

1934 what's that 86 years and this will be the biggest game in that time without a doubt

10,000 tickets wouldn't be enough

50 minutes ago, The Faceman said:

Brian are you joking?

1934 what's that 86 years and this will be the biggest game in that time without a doubt

10,000 tickets wouldn't be enough

Have you been in the sun for the last few days (excluding yesterday) ? If not, must be some other reason why you are delirious to make such a remark! 

No.1 When was the last time we limited crowds into Olivebank for a cup match? In 2011 and 2015 when met teams like Linlithgow, (Penicuik?) , Kilbirnie, Largs, Dalry (may not have been in these 2 years), crowds were big, but not even a quarter of the figure you quote.

No.2 When we got to Scottish Junior cup final in both years, yes we got a great following on both occasions, but not even a half of the figure you quote! 

No.3 The guy who acted as if he was Burgh’s salesman/manager at these cup finals bought a huge number of merchandise, including flags and at end of day, he couldn’t give them away for nothing. Hopefully he went on a training course on supply and demand after that, as his cash flow must have taken a battering. He saw the crowds coming over the hills, but unfortunately for him, it was just a mirage!

No. 4 No slight on any teams I mention, but if we were to face Blackburn or Camelon or  Dalkeith, no way would the crowd be near 10,000 and that includes both sets of fans.

No. 5 Since moving over from the Juniors set up, crowds are increasing, and in comparison with like for like teams in Premier league, we were top 3/4 in average attendances, but none greater than 1,000.

No. 6. So excuse me if I do not share your optimism. 

I will leave it at that! Yip I hope we get a home tie as the spectacle of playing in the Scottish Cup will be great for the club, the town and for me. But spare me the claptrap.

ps - No. 7 Thanks for naming me in your last response. I don’t hide it, but most people put a ‘nickname’ on their feed and I don’t see many being called out. 

2 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

Have you been in the sun for the last few days (excluding yesterday) ? If not, must be some other reason why you are delirious to make such a remark! 

No.1 When was the last time we limited crowds into Olivebank for a cup match? In 2011 and 2015 when met teams like Linlithgow, (Penicuik?) , Kilbirnie, Largs, Dalry (may not have been in these 2 years), crowds were big, but not even a quarter of the figure you quote.

No.2 When we got to Scottish Junior cup final in both years, yes we got a great following on both occasions, but not even a half of the figure you quote! 

No.3 The guy who acted as if he was Burgh’s salesman/manager at these cup finals bought a huge number of merchandise, including flags and at end of day, he couldn’t give them away for nothing. Hopefully he went on a training course on supply and demand after that, as his cash flow must have taken a battering. He saw the crowds coming over the hills, but unfortunately for him, it was just a mirage!

No. 4 No slight on any teams I mention, but if we were to face Blackburn or Camelon or  Dalkeith, no way would the crowd be near 10,000 and that includes both sets of fans.

No. 5 Since moving over from the Juniors set up, crowds are increasing, and in comparison with like for like teams in Premier league, we were top 3/4 in average attendances, but none greater than 1,000.

No. 6. So excuse me if I do not share your optimism. 

I will leave it at that! Yip I hope we get a home tie as the spectacle of playing in the Scottish Cup will be great for the club, the town and for me. But spare me the claptrap.

ps - No. 7 Thanks for naming me in your last response. I don’t hide it, but most people put a ‘nickname’ on their feed and I don’t see many being called out. 

Fair enough!

All i will say in response is Olivebank is a lot closer for fans than Rugby Park! 

If you need any flags by the way....

Ryan

On 23/07/2020 at 01:03, The Faceman said:

It really will be something that no amount of money could replace...

Club’s AGM tomorrow.

Looking forward to seeing the floodlights up at Olivebank. Having been on Shielding for 4+ months it will be first time since middle of March I will be meeting up with committee, supporters and players of this great club.

Burgh have come on a long way since we nearly folded two years, saving grace being the new office bearers and committee who brought us back from the brink!

Interesting to hear,  how we are, financially, since this pandemic brought football to its knees!  Certainly, fingers crossed, looking forward to resuming the support of our players in the next few months.

MTB! 

Edited by Casey Jones

In front of a good number of club members, sponsors and invited guests, a very successful AGM took this afternoon at Olivebank. A number of announcements, ‘openings’ and reports took place.

Whenever the 2020-21 season begins, Musselburgh will be prepared and hoping to begin the campaign on the up!

• 4 weeks later...

Down at Olivebank this morning, trying to get the ground in top shape come the start of the EoS league campaign.

Got to see most of the squad involved in a training session. Boys seemed to be absolutely buzzing being back on the football pitch. Lots of sprints and stretches, all done with a laugh and smiles on their faces.

As said elsewhere, really hope players of all sports behave themselves between now and October. Let’s get the league off to a flier and hope we can get league completed. It’s really in players and fans hands s let’s be sensible!

MTB!