Musselburgh Athletic F.C 2019/20

One good one bad at Linlithgow

Linlithgow gave out 5 raffle prizes which is the most/best of teams that we play on regular basis.

£5 for concessions? I know that clubs can set their own prices at this level but I cannot see how Linlithgow can justify changing so much. Most clubs charge £3 so a 66% hike in prices.

Edited by Casey Jones

13 hours ago, FuzzyBear said:
13 hours ago, Specky said:
I can assure you it was neither fuzzy or auld heid with the shout.

As for your comments on the keeper challenge, I didn't hear anyone claim he tried to kick his head, it was more he went in over hard into a challenge where the keeper already had the ball in his possession. He took a right whack on his wrist for the trouble which I felt may have contributed to not taking control of the cross at the first goal.

I fully expect that you won't accept this and the usual trolls will jump in so that's all I'll say.

Certainly wasnt me. I was out with the missus and mother in law for her birthday so not at the game.

And that’s an excuse? A bit flimsy I would say. A doppelgänger perhaps.

Before yesterday I didn’t think that Linlithgow would be dragged into the relegation fight. Now I am not so sure. Burgh started on top, then allowed Linlithgow 2 early goals (2nd one a cracker!). You could  be thinking that would lead to a comfortable Lithgow win, but it was easy for Musselburgh to get back into the match. Then in last minute, a golden opportunity missed for a Burgh to win match.

In 2020 Linlithgow have played 4 league matches and only 2 points to show for it. Long season remaining for the new management team?

Before yesterday I didn’t think that Linlithgow would be dragged into the relegation fight. Now I am not so sure. Burgh started on top, then allowed Linlithgow 2 early goals (2nd one a cracker!). You could  be thinking that would lead to a comfortable Lithgow win, but it was easy for Musselburgh to get back into the match. Then in last minute, a golden opportunity missed for a Burgh to win match.
In 2020 Linlithgow have played 4 league matches and only 2 points to show for it. Long season remaining for the new management team?
If Linlithgow could defend you would have been well beat yesterday.

Unfortunately we cant defend - so from 2-0 and playing well our keeper sells 2 goals and the confidence is gone and Musselburgh enjoyed their best spell.

When we got the 3rd it was at a time when we were on the ascendancy but again moments later we self destruct. The game finished end to end and I'm sure the neutrals enjoyed it.

Concession prices are high to scare away the Beggars who all try for cheap entry by showing their Dole cards or shared bus pass with a picture that looks like Freddie from Bread..!!

1 minute ago, Auld Heid said:

Unfortunately we cant defend - so from 2-0 and playing well our keeper sells 2 goals and the confidence is gone and Musselburgh enjoyed their best spell.

When we got the 3rd it was at a time when we were on the ascendancy but again moments later we self destruct. The game finished end to end and I'm sure the neutrals enjoyed it.

Concession prices are high to scare away the Beggars who all try for cheap entry by showing their Dole cards or shared bus pass with a picture that looks like Freddie from Bread..!!

Well not sure the last part worked as I think that Freddie and a good look a like we’re standing close to the changing rooms at full time!

wasnt sure if they were trying to replicate your man or wannabes from an 1980s rock band! 

5 hours ago, Auld Heid said:

Not having that. Musselburgh outplayed you for long spells yesterday, particularly 1st half. I couldn't believe we were 2-0 down after starting so well. FWIW, I thought your 2 centre backs had good games yesterday but could have defended crossed balls better.

Not sure how your keeper was to blame for 1st & 3rd goals? Super cross from King on to Downie's head for one and the keeper should have been better protected for King's copybook header for the 3rd.

Edited by Passthebaw

Not having that. Musselburgh outplayed you for long spells yesterday, particularly 1st half. I couldn't believe we were 2-0 down after starting so well. FWIW, I thought your 2 centre backs had good games yesterday but could have defended crossed balls better.
Not sure how your keeper was to blame for 1st & 3rd goals? Super cross from King on to Downie's head for one and the keeper should have been better protected for King's copybook header for the 3rd.
At two nil, it was reasonable to expect the Rose to kick on or at least keep it tight. Instead we lost the 1st to a free header inside the 6 yard box with our keeper routed to the spot.

The 2nd he is on his weaker foot and chooses to try and stick the ball up the park instead of just playing safe. Well out his goals was beaten by a well taken finish.

Yes at 2-2 Musselburgh looked the more likely and that part I agree with your view.

2nd half was more even. I'm at the other end so didnt get a clear view of your 3rd.

3 hours ago, Auld Heid said:

At two nil, it was reasonable to expect the Rose to kick on or at least keep it tight. Instead we lost the 1st to a free header inside the 6 yard box with our keeper routed to the spot.

The 2nd he is on his weaker foot and chooses to try and stick the ball up the park instead of just playing safe. Well out his goals was beaten by a well taken finish.

Yes at 2-2 Musselburgh looked the more likely and that part I agree with your view.

2nd half was more even. I'm at the other end so didnt get a clear view of your 3rd.

If you are on Twitter, check the goals on Musselburgh Athletic page. Your 2nd goal was definitely goalkeeper’s fault. Just should have kicked out for throw in.

1st goal - instead of blaming goalkeeper, should there not have been a defender at far side post?

3rd goal. No blame on keeper. Well taken goal by Mathu King. Wins a lot of header tussles, but then f he was challenged by either of your two central defenders, probably less chance of goal.

Musselburgh Athletic travelled through to Linlithgow for their 18th league match of season, two more than the home side. Since start of 2020, Burgh were unbeaten in three matches, winning two of them. Linlithgow were the opposite; not winning any of their three matches during the same period; losing two of them.

From the team who beat Mid Annandale 7-0 in last Sunday’s South and East Shield match, Musselburgh made two tactical changes. In came centre half Liam Reid and left back Jordan Orru, who replaced midfielders Conor Thomson and Bradley Whyte.

Match kicked off at 2.32pm and due to the overcast conditions, floodlights were either on from the start, or within few minutes of the game starting. Musselburgh started the brighter of the two sides, but found themselves a goal down after only eight minutes. From the right side of park, Ruari MacLennan moved in, then played a good ball through the Burgh defence. There was Roddy MacLennan, who controlled, then hit ball past an out coming Paul Grant and into the net. The Rose lead 1-0.

More disappointment for the away side came two minute later. A throw-in from the dugout side saw Roddy MacLellan find Allison, who quickly went by Michael Moffat. From over 25 yards, Allison let fly and the ball sailed into the corner stanchion of the Burgh goals and the home side were 2-0 up. Another forward move by Linlithgow who certainly were on the ascendancy, was stopped in its tracks as Liam Reid was booked for bringing down Roddy MacLennan. Brian Martin was then talked to by the referee for a foul given at the edge of the Burgh box. Allison made a hash of the free kick as it flew high over the Musselburgh goals.

Nothing beats a bit of controversy in a match; well, depending on the team you support. Musselburgh were on the attack as the ball moved into the Linlithgow box. The Rose keeper, Wilson, along with a defender and Burgh’s Michael Moffat all went for the ball, all on the deck and the ball comes out and a shot put the ball in the net. However, the referee stopped match, so the goal did not count. The Musselburgh fans were livid with the decision as it looked like a 50/50 ball (or 33/33/33) between all three players so whistle should not have been blown. Wilson had to get treatment, but after a couple of minutes, got up and there appeared to be no lasting effects to the keeper.

On 20 minutes, from the right wing, a cross was made into the Linlithgow box and headed out by a defender. Declan O’Kane passed ball back out to the right. Mathu King put ball towards the back post. Darren Downie was there to head his 21st goal of season. Musselburgh reduced lead to 2-1. It was Musselburgh who now looked to score next. First was a move involving Jackie Myles, who ran by a defender and into the box, where Darren Downie’s shot could not find the target. A minute later and Josh Jeffries made a forward move, put the ball into the Rose six yard box, but ball was cleared.

Jackie Myles was again involved, on 23 minutes, as he passed ball out to the right for Mathu King to chase. The Rose keeper came out of his box and attempted to clear ball. However it only went as far as Josh Jeffries, who chipped the ball from over 30 yards out, high into the net. Cheers of jubilation from the away support as match was levelled at 2-2.

Into the final few minutes of the first half and a chance for either side. Linlithgow were on the attack, but as the ball approached the Burgh box, Jono McManus booted the ball out of the park. Mathu King then ran towards the Rose box. A crunching, but fair tackle by a Nimmo thwarted that attempt.

Half Time: Linlithgow Rose 2-2 Musselburgh Athletic

Early in the second half and a Burgh were awarded a foul on the right hand side of the Linlithgow half. The far side linesman raised his flag as Allison attempted to give Mathu a King a bear hug. Not sure if the defender was having a laugh, but he questioned why the foul was awarded. The free kick from Josh Jeffries was put out for a corner, which was then cleared.

First sub of match on 57 minutes as Bradley Whyte came on for Jordan Orru, who had just been on the receiving end of two hefty challenges, the second of which  must have caused a mini tremor on Linlithgow high street at the speed which Jordan Orru came crashing back down to earth!

On the hour, Scullion will never again have an easier chance to score. A corner taken by Smith was headed away from the Burgh goals. Smith then played to Roddy MacLennan who put the ball into the Burgh six yard box. From about 10 feet in front of goals, Scullion must have kicked the ground first as the ball trundled forward to Paul Grant.

Bradley Whyte was booked on 64 minutes for foul on Roddy MacLellan. Two minutes later and Linlithgow were awarded a free kick, following a thunder shot which came off Liam Reid’s arm. Allum’s kick shot above the bar. With 67 minutes played, ball was down the Burgh left wing and the attempt was saved by Paul Grant. Before it went out of play, Jackie Myles lost the ball on the by-line. As the ball was squared back, substitute Collumbine found the net and Linlithgow regained a 3-2 lead.

This lasted two minutes. Burgh had a corner, which was met by a Mathu King. A textbook header saw the ball bounce on the ground, then rise above the keeper, Wilson and into the corner of the net. Match all square at 3-3. That was Mathu King’s last involvement of the match as he was substituted on 70 minutes with Conor Thomson on. 

End to end football in a good match, despite the heavy pitch. Linlithgow’s Slaven beat the Burgh offside trap but saw his shot turned round for a corner by Paul Grant. On 79 minutes, Declan O’Kane fell to the ground after an off the ball incident. The Burgh dugout were none too happy that the linesman did nothing about it. Soon after Brian Martin and Collumbine were talked to by the referee following a bit of argy bargy.

Into last five minutes. First, Allison has a shot which Burgh’s Paul Grant saved. Then up the park and Michael Moffat’s shot was spilled by Wilson. Darren Downie ran forward, but the keeper got ball at second attempt. Linlithgow had a couple of corners in succession, with the second going straight out for a goal kick. Final minute and a miss which will haunt Bradley Whyte for a while. On the wing Conor Thomson passed into the right hand side of the penalty area. Bradley Whyte only had the keeper in front of him. Not sure if ball bobbled but the shot went sky high and with it the victory for Burgh!!

Full time: Linlithgow Rose 3-3 Musselburgh Athletic.

Best player for Burgh was Jackie Myles. Best for Linlithgow was Roddy MacLennan. Pretty close, but Jackie gets overall player of match from me!

Edited by Casey Jones

9 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

Musselburgh Athletic travelled through to Linlithgow for their 18th league match of season, two more than the home side. Since start of 2020, Burgh were unbeaten in three matches, winning two of them. Linlithgow were the opposite; not winning any of their three matches during the same period; losing two of them.

From the team who beat Mid Annandale 7-0 in last Sunday’s South and East Shield match, Musselburgh made two tactical changes. In came centre half Liam Reid and left back Jordan Orru, who replaced midfielders Conor Thomson and Bradley Whyte.

Match kicked off at 2.32pm and due to the overcast conditions, floodlights were either on from the start, or within few minutes of the game starting. Musselburgh started the brighter of the two sides, but found themselves a goal down after only eight minutes. From the right side of park, Ruari MacLennan moved in, then played a good ball through the Burgh defence. There was Roddy MacLennan, who controlled, then hit ball past an outcoming Paul Grant and into the net. The Rose lead 1-0.

More disappointment for the away side came two minute later. A throw-in from the dugout side saw Roddy MacLellan find Allison, who quickly went by Michael Moffat. From over 25 yards, Allison let fly and the ball sailed into the corner stanchion of the Burgh goals  and the home side were 2-0 up. Another forward move by Linlithgow who certainly were on the ascendancy, was stopped in its tracks as Liam Reid was booked for bringing down Roddy MacLennan. Brian Martin was then talked to by the referee for a foul given at the edge of the Burgh box. Allison made a hash of the free kick as it flew high over the Musselburgh goals.

Nothing beats a bit of controversy in a match; well, depending on the team you support. Musselburgh were on the attack as the ball moved into the Linlithgow box. The Rose keeper, Wilson, along with a defender and Burgh’s Michael Moffat all went for the ball, all on the deck and the ball comes out and a shot put the ball in the net. However, the referee stopped match, so the goal did not count. The Musselburgh fans were livid with the decision as it looked like a 50/50 ball ( or 33/33/33) between all three players so whistle should not have been blown. Wilson had to get treatment, but after a couple of minutes, got up and there appeared to be no lasting effects to the keeper.

On 20 minutes, from the right wing, a cross was made into the Linlithgow box and headed out by a defender. Declan O’Kane passed ball back out to the right. Mathu Mathu put ball towards the back post. Darren Downie was there to head his 21st goal of season. Musselburgh reduced lead to 2-1. It was Musselburgh who now looked to score next. First was a move involving Jackie Myles, who ran by a defender and into the box, where Darren Downie’s shot could not find the target. A minute later and Josh Jeffries made a forward move, put the ball into the Rose six yard box, but ball was cleared.

Jackie Myles was again involved, on 23 minutes, as he passed ball out to the right for Mathu King to chase. The Rose keeper came out of his box and attempted to clear ball. However it only went as far as Josh Jeffries, who chipped the ball from over 30 yards out, high into the net. Cheers of jubilation from the away support as match was levelled at 2-2.

Into the final few minutes of the first half and a chance for either side. Linlithgow were on the attack, but as the ball approached the Burgh box, Jono McManus booted the ball out of the park. Mathu King then ran towards the Rose box. A crunching, but fair tackle by a Nimmo thwarted that attempt.

Half Time: Linlithgow Rose 2-2 Musselburgh Athletic

Early in the second half and a Burgh were awarded a foul on the right hand side of the Linlithgow half. The far side linesman raised his flag as Allison attempted to give Mathu a King a bear hug. Not sure if the defender was having a laugh, but he questioned why the foul was awarded. The free kick from Josh Jeffries was put out for a corner, which was then cleared.

First sub of match on 57  minutes as Bradley Whyte came on for Jordan Orru, who had just been on the receiving end of two hefty challenges, the second of which  must have caused a mini tremor on Linlithgow high street at the speed which Jordan Orru came crashing back down to earth!

On the hour, Scullion will never again have an easier chance to score. A corner taken by Smith was headed away from the Burgh goals. Smith then played to Roddy MacLennan who put the ball into the Burgh six yard box. From about 10 feet in front of goals, Scullion must have kicked the ground first as the ball trundled forward to Paul Grant.

Bradley Whyte was booked on 64 minutes for foul on Roddy MacLellan. Two minutes later and Linlithgow were awarded a free kick, following a thunder shot which came off Liam Reid’s arm. Allum’s kick shot above the bar. With 67 minutes played, ball was down the Burgh left wing and the attempt was saved by Paul Grant. Before it went out of play, Jackie Myles lost the ball on the by-line. As the ball was squared back, substitute Collumbine found the net and Linlithgow regained a 3-2 lead.

This lasted two minutes. Burgh had a corner, which was met by a Mathu King. A textbook header saw the ball bounce on the ground, then rise above the keeper, Wilson and into the corner of the net. Match all square at 3-3. That was Mathu King’s last involvement of the match as he was substituted on 70 minutes with Conor Thomson on. 

End to end football in a good match, despite the heavy pitch. Linlithgow’s Slaven beat the Burgh offside trap but saw his shot turned round for a corner by Paul Grant. On 79 minutes, Declan O’Kane fell to the ground after an off the ball incident. The Burgh dugout were none to happy that the linesman did nothing about it. Soon after Brian Martin and Collumbine were talked to by the referee following a bit of argy bargy.

Into last five minutes. First, Allison has a shot which Burgh’s Paul Grant saved. Then up the park and Michael Moffat’s shot was spilled by Wilson. Darren Downie ran forward, but the keeper got ball at second attempt. Linlithgow had a couple of corners in succession, with the second going straight out for a goal kick. Final minute and a miss which will haunt Bradley Whyte for a while. On the wing Conor Thomson passed into the right hand side of the penalty area. Bradley Whyte only had the keeper in front of him. Not sure if ball bobbled but the shot went sky high and with it the victory for Burgh!!

Full time: Linlithgow Rose 3-3 Musselburgh Athletic.

Best player for Burgh was Jackie Myles. Best for Linlithgow was Roddy MacLennan. Pretty close, but Jackie gets overall player of match from me!

Standing behind the incident with the keeper - this is one of these incidents, where I agree with your view - it was a ball players have to go for - there was no malice in the challenge - momentum probably caused our keeper to spill the ball. 

I think they all arrived at pretty much the same time - from a Rose view, our keeper was there first (biased) from a Burgh view the ball was there to be won (biased) 

At the time - my argument was if it was a foul, then it should have been at least a yellow or more if the ref deemed it to be dangerous play.  On balance the Ref probably made the easiest decision for himself - foul on keeper and no booking 

If Mussy could defend your lot would have been well beat.

But regardless, it’s all about the B.U!

Pays to have been patient, well done to Geordie, Ryqn and Paddy and the players for getting it turned round, need to back them all the way to the end of the season..

Keep our  heads above water and with qualification for the Scottish through the Alex Jack etc. I'd say the managerial staff and the players have put us ahead of any plans we might have had as a club by a whole season.

Still a way  to go, fair bit of the season to go but it's been noticeable how much folk are putting into the club and that the atmosphere around Olivebank is positive (within the support as well).

Edited by RobM

I have 3 ‘loves’ from your post! 
1. No.4 is Jackie Myles and is my favourite player of all time! Was a bit of a live wire in his youth but fans absolutely love him for his commitment and endeavours on the field. Was out of the game for 18 months or so after a horrific injury and many players of around 30 would have said that’s enough. But Jackie came back, for me, not the player he was, but understandable due to his injury. But, again for me, he got last season out the way and is back playing the way fans love!!
2. The big bald guy is Brian Martin, who returned to Musselburgh for the third (?) time at the start of this season. He was our captain in the 2014-15 Season, when we got to the Scottish Junior cup final. Brian was a majestic left back / left midfielder previously and is absolutely at ease with the ball at his feet. Thinks he is too old to run up and down the wing, so now stands in central defence and a great guy to have around the club.
3. Absolutely love elo - probably confusion is my favourite song of theirs!! Not sure what the elo you refer to is ? It sounds though as if it would be a lot of hard work! Anything that involves stats though, I would certainly be interested in the results!
Good ‘talking’ to you.

IMG_6702.jpg