Musselburgh Athletic F.C 2019/20

20 minutes ago, Casey Jones said:

One of our younger supporters had us away to Celtic in next season’s 4th round draw, and what this will mean to Musselburgh, in financial matters and what we should plan the money on!!

Loved the optimism! 😂

:lol:

Why not dream? Back in 2017-18 we saw LTHV beat Kelty, Coldstream, Inverurie and Stirling Albion (famous 3-5 away win) then crash to St Mirren in R3... However last season Tynecastle lost to Shortlees; this season Camelon beat Newtown Stewart then lost to Auchinleck.

So enjoy it but take nothing for granted.

If you get licensed in next 1.5yrs it'll become regular anyway.

27 minutes ago, Casey Jones said:

Ha ha!! Not sure if you are just being jovial or taking the P , but I will accept this in good nature! 😂👍

One of our younger supporters had us away to Celtic in next season’s 4th round draw, and what this will mean to Musselburgh, in financial matters and what we should plan the money on!!

Loved the optimism! 😂

Just having a bit of fun.  I'm just a neutral fan of non SPFL football.

Penicuik and Broxburn showed what EOSFL clubs can achieve with a bit of luck in the draw and some good performances.

I was at today's game and Mussy was by far the better team.  The Mid Annandale heads went down after the third goal went in, so as a spectacle the game wasn't the best, although the Mussy supporters won't worry about that. It's another trophy won and that's all that matters in cup finals.

Edited by Footballfirst

15 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

:lol:

Why not dream? Back in 2017-18 we saw LTHV beat Kelty, Coldstream, Inverurie and Stirling Albion (famous 3-5 away win) then crash to St Mirren in R3... However last season Tynecastle lost to Shortlees; this season Camelon beat Newtown Stewart then lost to Auchinleck.

So enjoy it but take nothing for granted.

If you get licensed in next 1.5yrs it'll become regular anyway.

I love the fact that we are in the Scottish, so for now I will accept that and dream should we get past the first preliminary round!

The new Musselburgh office bearers and committee had a business plan in mind around the time of the EGM in (June/July 18?)

When they were elected, the plan would have been cemented and it was to ensure the club, moving forward, could walk properly as opposed to running from the start. The option of floodlights, while important, was never an option for this round of licence negotiations/approvals.

Fact Musselburgh got into next season’s Scottish cup is a bonus and confirms (now) that the club can work towards getting all licence requirements in place so that come season 2021/22 we progress to the Scottish as you say in your comment.

Well done to Musselburgh, their victory was well deserved. Fitter, faster and generally better all round. The Musselburgh No 4 is a joy to watch and makes the game look easy. The big bald defender is excellent with the ball at his feet for such a big guy.

Lucky if the Burgh keeper had 10 touches of the ball during the 90 mins.

Just goes to show that the South of Scotland League should probably be below even the EoS A & B conferences in the pyramid.

Off topic slightly, but I’m working on an Elo rating system for the whole of Scottish football using league results for this season only to have as a base and then build upon next season for if teams meet in cups etc

Level 1 - Premier League

Level 2 - Championship

Level 3 - League One

Level 4 - League Two

Level 5 - Highland & Lowland Leagues

Level 6 - East of Scotland Premier

Level 7 - East of Scotland A & B

Level 8 - South of Scotland League

I can post the results once collated and if people are interested?

4 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Or making this trophy merge at an earlier stage than the final.

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

It's just a playoff between the Alex Jack Cup and Southern Alternate 'Alba' Cup winners. Name and silverware are essentially for show.

I rest my case,between poking yer nose into something ye ken hee haw aboot and yer red dots ye do make me laugh Marshy :lol:

Congratulations Musselburgh,never a doubt 👏

53 minutes ago, MonsterUnderTheBed said:

Well done to Musselburgh, their victory was well deserved. Fitter, faster and generally better all round. The Musselburgh No 4 is a joy to watch and makes the game look easy. The big bald defender is excellent with the ball at his feet for such a big guy.

Lucky if the Burgh keeper had 10 touches of the ball during the 90 mins.

Just goes to show that the South of Scotland League should probably be below even the EoS A & B conferences in the pyramid.

Off topic slightly, but I’m working on an Elo rating system for the whole of Scottish football using league results for this season only to have as a base and then build upon next season for if teams meet in cups etc

Level 1 - Premier League

Level 2 - Championship

Level 3 - League One

Level 4 - League Two

Level 5 - Highland & Lowland Leagues

Level 6 - East of Scotland Premier

Level 7 - East of Scotland A & B

Level 8 - South of Scotland League

I can post the results once collated and if people are interested?

I have 3 ‘loves’ from your post! 

1. No.4 is Jackie Myles and is my favourite player of all time! Was a bit of a live wire in his youth but fans absolutely love him for his commitment and endeavours on the field. Was out of the game for 18 months or so after a horrific injury and many players of around 30 would have said that’s enough. But Jackie came back, for me, not the player he was, but understandable due to his injury. But, again for me, he got last season out the way and is back playing the way fans love!!

2. The big bald guy is Brian Martin, who returned to Musselburgh for the third (?) time at the start of this season. He was our captain in the 2014-15 Season, when we got to the Scottish Junior cup final. Brian was a majestic left back / left midfielder previously and is absolutely at ease with the ball at his feet. Thinks he is too old to run up and down the wing, so now stands in central defence and a great guy to have around the club.

3. Absolutely love elo - probably confusion is my favourite song of theirs!! Not sure what the elo you refer to is ? It sounds though as if it would be a lot of hard work! Anything that involves stats though, I would certainly be interested in the results!

Good ‘talking’ to you.

I have 3 ‘loves’ from your post! 
1. No.4 is Jackie Myles and is my favourite player of all time! Was a bit of a live wire in his youth but fans absolutely love him for his commitment and endeavours on the field. Was out of the game for 18 months or so after a horrific injury and many players of around 30 would have said that’s enough. But Jackie came back, for me, not the player he was, but understandable due to his injury. But, again for me, he got last season out the way and is back playing the way fans love!!
2. The big bald guy is Brian Martin, who returned to Musselburgh for the third (?) time at the start of this season. He was our captain in the 2014-15 Season, when we got to the Scottish Junior cup final. Brian was a majestic left back / left midfielder previously and is absolutely at ease with the ball at his feet. Thinks he is too old to run up and down the wing, so now stands in central defence and a great guy to have around the club.
3. Absolutely love elo - probably confusion is my favourite song of theirs!! Not sure what the elo you refer to is ? It sounds though as if it would be a lot of hard work! Anything that involves stats though, I would certainly be interested in the results!
Good ‘talking’ to you.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system

Hopefully this sheds a bit more light on the Elo Ratings i was meaning and not Jeff Lynns band [emoji23]. It will be a bit time consuming, but hopefully worth it for comparing teams next season.

Good to see that both sets of supporters were vocal throughout the game, although The Mids casuals were probably outnumbered by about 10-1 [emoji15][emoji1]

6 hours ago, Tappy the Toon said:

Congratulations to Musselburgh on a fantastic victory.Hope the Scottish provides you with the excitement you've deservedly earned.

Thank you Tappy! 

Really looking forward to the adventure of the Scottish cup next season. Good result yesterday, but in truth, against the worst team we have played in 2019-20. 

A Sunday match this weekend. Musselburgh travelled through to Blackburn United ground to meet Mid Annandale and play for the South and East Winners Shield and more importantly, entry to next season’s Scottish Cup for the winners.

In November 2019 Musselburgh beat Oakley 4-2 in the Alex Jack cup final, to progress to this match. Mid Annandale got here by beating Abbey Vale, also by 4-2 in the Alba Cup final.

Eight of the cup final team started this match for Musselburgh. Out went Jack Gillan, now at Dalkeith Thistle; Bob Wilson, now at Stenhousemuir and Jordan Orru, recovering from injury and starting on the bench. In came Michael Moffat, Bradley Whyte and new signing Josh Jeffries, who was starting his second match for Musselburgh.

In front of a disappointing crowd (later counted at 242), Mid Annandale kicked off the match, at the scheduled time of 2:00pm. The first attempted shot came in four minutes, when Dean Smith hit the ball high over the Burgh bar. Musselburgh opened the scoring on seven minutes. From defence, Jonno McManus passed ball out to the right wing. As Conor Thomson took the ball towards Annandale’s box, Michael Moffat ran past, shouting for the pass. Conor Thomson, instead put a cross into the box, where Darren Downie controlled the ball then sent a weak low shot towards the goals. Not sure if there was a deflection, but the Annandale keeper did not cover himself in glory as the ball landed in the net. A great start to the match for Musselburgh.

On nine minutes, Mid Annandale had another chance with the ball in the Burgh box. Michael Moffat was on hand to win a tackle and the ball was cleared upfield. Just after 15 minutes, Mathu King was one on one with Annandale’s keeper. The captain’s shot however, went straight to Murray.

The second goal of match was a special one for Musselburgh. Bradley Whyte made a good run down the left wing, which ended with a corner. Annandale managed to half clear the ball, but only as far as the middle of the park. Bradley Whyte was involved again and played ball to his right. Declan O’Kane put a low ball into the Annandale box where Mathu King latched onto and his shot landed in the corner of the net. There was a loud cheer on and off the pitch as It was Mathu King’s 200th competitive goal for Musselburgh Athletic.

A couple of minutes later and Mid Annandale defender Callum Smith was booked for a rash challenge on Michael Moffat. From the free kick, a Darren Downie attempt just went by the post. Mathu King went close with three minutes to half time, but Murray saved the shot at the near side post. In the closing stages of the half, Jonno McManus played the ball back, in a crowded Musselburgh goal area. Luckily other defenders surrounded the ball and Mid Annandale could not get a shot in and ball went out for by kick.

Half time: Mid Annandale 0-2 Musselburgh Athletic.

Two minutes into the second half and Musselburgh had a corner. From there, as the ball ùwas crossed over, Brian Martin’s header soared above the bar. On 55 minutes Mid Annandale’s Dean Smith had a shot saved by Paul Grant. The same Annandale player was booked for a tackle on Jackie Myles. It seemed harsh as it looked a good tackle at the time. Musselburgh went close on the hour. From a Brian Martin throw in, Darren Downie’s shot was saved by Murray.

Twenty minutes into the second half, on the right wing, Michael Moffat put the ball into the path of Conor Thomson. Ball was crossed into the six yard box and Darren Downie ran in and slide the ball past a static Annandale goalkeeper. Burgh were 3-0 up. At that point, Brian Martin was subbed with Liam Reid coming on.

Another goal on 68 minutes and match over for Mid Annandale. From halfway, Darren Downie played the ball nto the path of Mathu King who ran on and slotted the ball by Murray and 4-0 to Musselburgh. The East Lothian side’s second substitution saw Daniel McBay come on for Jackie Myles. Five minutes later, on 75 minutes, Ethan Wynne an Under 20 player, replaced Declan O’Kane; the first time this season that the midfielder had been subbed. Ethan Wynne was quickly involved in the match seemed keen on making a quick impression.

On 76 minutes, ball was played to the edge of the Annandale box by Josh Jeffries. Ethan Wynne ran into the penalty area and was downed by Murray. Mathu King made no mistake from the spot, to score his hat trick and Musselburgh’s fifth of the afternoon. Three minutes later and the second hat trick of the match. From inside his own half, Daniel McBay lobbed the ball over the Mid Annandale defenders. Darren Downie ran on and with his second touch, the ball was placed in the corner of the net. Now 6-0 to Musselburgh.

The final goal of the match came in th final minute and involved the two oldest players in the team. On the right wing, Michael Moffat went by two defenders, before passing the ball backwards. Mathu King had time to control the ball then hit it into the corner of the goals.

Full time: Mid Annandale 0-7 Musselburgh Athletic.

So, Musselburgh went up and were presented with their winning medals and captain, Mathu King raised the shield to joyous scenes by Musselburgh players and Burgh fans. Although Musselburgh played well throughout the match, they hardly got out of second gear and Paul Grant had very few saves to make! Whilst Mid Annandale were no match for Musselburgh, Dean Smith was by far their best player.

Edited by Casey Jones

On 28/01/2020 at 01:40, Casey Jones said:

A Sunday match this weekend. Musselburgh travelled through to Blackburn United ground to meet Mid Annandale and play for the South and East Winners Shield and more importantly, entry to next season’s Scottish Cup for the winners.

In November 2019 Musselburgh beat Oakley 4-2 in the Alex Jack cup final, to progress to this match. Mid Annandale got here by beating Abbey Vale, also by 4-2 in the Alba Cup final.

Eight of the cup final team started this match for Musselburgh. Out went Jack Gillan, now at Dalkeith Thistle; Bob Wilson, now at Stenhousemuir and Jordan Orru, recovering from injury and starting on the bench. In came Michael Moffat, Bradley Whyte and new signing Josh Jeffries, who was starting his second match for Musselburgh.

In front of a disappointing crowd (later counted at 242), Mid Annandale kicked off the match, at the scheduled time of 2:00pm. The first attempted shot came in four minutes, when Dean Smith hit the ball high over the Burgh bar. Musselburgh opened the scoring on seven minutes. From defence, Jonno McManus passed ball out to the right wing. As Conor Thomson took the ball towards Annandale’s box, Michael Moffat ran past, shouting for the pass. Conor Thomson, instead put a cross into the box, where Darren Downie controlled the ball then sent a weak low shot towards the goals. Not sure if there was a deflection, but the Annandale keeper did not cover himself in glory as the ball landed in the net. A great start to the match for Musselburgh.

On nine minutes, Mid Annandale had another chance with the ball in the Burgh box. Michael Moffat was on hand to win a tackle and the ball was cleared upfield. Just after 15 minutes, Mathu King was one on one with Annandale’s keeper. The captain’s shot however, went straight to Murray.

The second goal of match was a special one for Musselburgh. Bradley Whyte made a good run down the left wing, which ended with a corner. Annandale managed to half clear the ball, but only as far as the middle of the park. Bradley Whyte was involved again and played ball to his right. Declan O’Kane put a low ball into the Annandale box where Mathu King latched onto and his shot landed in the corner of the net. There was a loud cheer on and off the pitch as It was Mathu King’s 200th competitive goal for Musselburgh Athletic.

A couple of minutes later and Mid Annandale defender Callum Smith was booked for a rash challenge on Michael Moffat. From the free kick, a Darren Downie attempt just went by the post. Mathu King went close with three minutes to half time, but Murray saved the shot at the near side post. In the closing stages of the half, Jonno McManus played the ball back, in a crowded Musselburgh goal area. Luckily other defenders surrounded the ball and Mid Annandale could not get a shot in and ball went out for by kick.

Half time: Mid Annandale 0-2 Musselburgh Athletic.

Two minutes into the second half and Musselburgh had a corner. From there, as the ball ùwas crossed over, Brian Martin’s header soared above the bar. On 55 minutes Mid Annandale’s Dean Smith had a shot saved by Paul Grant. The same Annandale player was booked for a tackle on Jackie Myles. It seemed harsh as it looked a good tackle at the time. Musselburgh went close on the hour. From a Brian Martin throw in, Darren Downie’s shot was saved by Murray.

Twenty minutes into the second half, on the right wing, Michael Moffat put the ball into the path of Conor Thomson. Ball was crossed into the six yard box and Darren Downie ran in and slide the ball past a static Annandale goalkeeper. Burgh were 3-0 up. At that point, Brian Martin was subbed with Liam Reid coming on.

Another goal on 68 minutes and match over for Mid Annandale. From halfway, Darren Downie played the ball nto the path of Mathu King who ran on and slotted the ball by Murray and 4-0 to Musselburgh. The East Lothian side’s second substitution saw Daniel McBay come on for Jackie Myles. Five minutes later, on 75 minutes, Ethan Wynne an Under 20 player, replaced Declan O’Kane; the first time this season that the midfielder had been subbed. Ethan Wynne was quickly involved in the match seemed keen on making a quick impression.

On 76 minutes, ball was played to the edge of the Annandale box by Josh Jeffries. Ethan Wynne ran into the penalty area and was downed by Murray. Mathu King made no mistake from the spot, to score his hat trick and Musselburgh’s fifth of the afternoon. Three minutes later and the second hat trick of the match. From inside his own half, Daniel McBay lobbed the ball over the Mid Annandale defenders. Darren Downie ran on and with his second touch, the ball was placed in the corner of the net. Now 6-0 to Musselburgh.

The final goal of the match came in th final minute and involved the two oldest players in the team. On the right wing, Michael Moffat went by two defenders, before passing the ball backwards. Mathu King had time to control the ball then hit it into the corner of the goals.

Full time: Mid Annandale 0-7 Musselburgh Athletic.

So, Musselburgh went up and were presented with their winning medals and captain, Mathu King raised the shield to joyous scenes by Musselburgh players and Burgh fans. Although Musselburgh played well throughout the match, they hardly got out of second gear and Paul Grant had very few saves to make! Whilst Mid Annandale were no match for Musselburgh, Dean Smith was by far their best player.

Cheers as always, CJ. A good day out for the Burgh, and a very comfortable win. MA disappointed me with little quality, tempo, belief, but from Mussy's point of view you can only beat the team in front of you. 

Onwards & upwards and Saturday sees an intriguing tussle with a Lithgae side who're short of results of late, whereas things have improved for the Burgh. See you there! 

2 hours ago, Passthebaw said:

Cheers as always, CJ. A good day out for the Burgh, and a very comfortable win. MA disappointed me with little quality, tempo, belief, but from Mussy's point of view you can only beat the team in front of you. 

Onwards & upwards and Saturday sees an intriguing tussle with a Lithgae side who're short of results of late, whereas things have improved for the Burgh. See you there! 

The reward for Sunday's winners is a place in next season's Scottish Cup Draw. Also, winning the South-East Shield was Musselburgh's second trophy of the season. Even though a number of teams were not in the Alex Jack cup draw, having already got their licence to play in the Scottish Cup, given our place in the Premier league, I think we, as a club, should be proud of our achievements so far this season.

But, I still came away from Sunday's match feeling deflated - the reason being that the quality of opposition on the day was particularly poor.  Players were right to be joyous at having scored seven and not conceding any goals. I got much more satisfaction beating Oakley in the Alex Jack Cup final, as at half time, it did not even look as if we were going to win the cup. Oakley were the better team in the first half and only by the changes made at half time did we start to gain the upper hand.

Looking forward to Saturday's match at Linlithgow.

1 minute ago, Casey Jones said:

But, I still came away from Sunday's match feeling deflated - the reason being that the quality of opposition on the day was particularly poor.  

Fingers crossed its a set of tournaments you'll never have to compete in again.

For a club like Musselburgh the Alex Jack/Shield combo is a bit like Hibs/Hearts/Dundee Utd winning the Championship. The trophies are nice, the prize they represent is more important, and you never want to go back.

1 hour ago, Casey Jones said:

But, I still came away from Sunday's match feeling deflated - the reason being that the quality of opposition on the day was particularly poor.  

The SOSFL has always been a poor league compared to the EOSFL as results for this shield and play off for LL have proved. 

Hopefully one of the giants from the West Juniors might do a "Kelty" and join the SOSFL. 

Despite the various pyramid threads and topics on pnb I've a feeling that's the only way that the powers that be at Scottish football's hq will accept any further progress of the pyramid. 

That way clubs like Mids won't have to suffer such humiliating defeats and would find their level.

With licensing becoming a big issue I've a feeling this shield and the Scottish Amateur cup winners might get scrapped for Scottish Cup entry in the not too distant future anyway. 

Edited by newcastle broon

8 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

The reward for Sunday's winners is a place in next season's Scottish Cup Draw. Also, winning the South-East Shield was Musselburgh's second trophy of the season. Even though a number of teams were not in the Alex Jack cup draw, having already got their licence to play in the Scottish Cup, given our place in the Premier league, I think we, as a club, should be proud of our achievements so far this season.

Absolutely... Bo'ness, Crossgates, Dunbar, Newtongrange, Sauchie, Tranent, etc. also contested AJC.

Tomorrow night it is back to U20s football as 1st meets 4th in Conference B. Last season's matches between BSC Glasgow U20s and Musselburgh Athletic U20s were close affairs. This season BSC won the first match 4-1 at Pinkie, so a tough away game for Burgh to win.

MTB