Musselburgh Athletic F.C 2019/20

2 minutes ago, BigTboy said:

CJ, wow! Just seen the score line today! What happened? Mussy defo need to find a winning formula soon. 

First match missed this season. If we played the same as the last two weeks, then the result was not really a surprise. However, I thought reality of being bottom if we lost would have been an incentive enough to do better! 

Make no mistake, until we start winning again, all remaining 19 league matches have to be our cup finals from now on!!

3 hours ago, Passthebaw said:

No need to panic, yet. 3 from 8, maybe 9? A win on Saturday would be huge.......and would help Tranent! 😉

Screenshot_20191111-095713_Chrome_kindlephoto-75995808.jpg

Certainly not panicking PTB - but we need to change direction soon!

I think it is 3 from the current bottom 6 (plus Crossgates). Cant see Jeanfield or Linlithgow being in the mix.

Seven days ago, Musselburgh Athletic U20 travelled to West Lothian and returned after being defeated 4-2 by Blackburn United U20, in the U20 Development Challenge Cup first round.

As fate would have it, the same teams met again on Friday night, this time in the first round of the Under 20 knockout cup. Musselburgh made two changes, with Kyle McFadden dropping to the bench and Connor Fitzpatrick not in squad. In came Devan Craighead, (an underused player, in my opinion) and a welcome return, from injury, for Jack Gillan, one of the main team players. It looked like the same starting line-up for the away side. 

Unusual for a Friday night, but the referee kicked the match off, five minutes late.

Blackburn U20 required only three minutes to score the opening goal of the match, in a move that started from keeper, Cairns. The ball moved up field until in the possession of centre forward, Dylan Anderson. With just Ross McRae to beat, Anderson made no mistake. 

On a side issue, I made comment on Twitter, which was technically correct (but perhaps worded too strongly). However, I received a reprimand by the Blackburn coach, for being negative! The fact the coach felt it appropriate to send his tweet, I apologised as I am all for young guys turning out on Friday nights so that guys like me can enjoy an extra football match, most weekends. Anyway, I now wish to give myself a pat on the back, as Dylan scored with his first attempt, (and to stick up his two fingers at ‘experts’ like me)!

Musselburgh had a couple of chances, come 10 minutes. From a corner, Cairns saved Jack Gillan’s header, and pushed ball out for another corner. A minute later, Cairns saved a 25-yard shot from either Gary Ewing or Keiron Lugton. The equaliser came in 13 minutes. From the Burgh box, Keiron passed ball up wing to Devan Craighead, who ran from his own half into the Blackburn penalty box. Most players would have had an attempt on goal, but instead, Devan Craighead, squared ball to Lewis Latimer. One touch to control the ball, the next touch saw Lewis Latimer hit the ball into the net. Best goal of match.

Burgh’s jubilation lasted three minutes. From the left hand of the penalty box, Dylan Anderson hit a good shot past Ross McRae for a 2-1 lead to Blackburn. On 24 minutes, Blackburn U20 nearly increased their lead. Cowan hit a good free kick into the Burgh box, which saw White run in, but his shot was just over bar.

On 26 minutes, from right hand side of pitch, Gary Ewing played pass into Blackburn box while defender, Kinross and Devan Craighead chased after it. Devan Craighead got the ball first and though there was, perhaps, a slight deflection, the keeper was beat and Musselburgh drew level at 2-2. Both teams had chances after that but no further scoring. A wee bit of drama near the end of the half saw Lewis Latimer fall in the box, and he claimed for a penalty. The referee blew, but instead of awarding a spot kick, Lewis Latimer was booked for diving. 

Half Time: Musselburgh Athletic U20s 2-2 Blackburn United U20s

Within one minute of the restart, Blackburn’s Kincaid was booked for a high-footed challenge. Two minutes later, Devan Craighead passed to Jack Crombie and his shot just went by Blackburn post. On 58 minutes, Lewis Latimer played ball to Devan Craighead. As Burgh move up field, the best option would have been a pass out right to Jack Crombie who had a clear run into box. However, Devan Craighead hit the ball to the left and it resulted in a corner; which came to nothing.

Just past the hour, Blackburn were again on the attack. Ball played into the box, but the Burgh defence was missing. Howe was one on one with Ross McRae and smashed the ball into the net. Now 3-2 to Blackburn.

The remainder of the second half was devoid much of goalmouth actions. Most of the notes written down were for the five substitutes that came on for Musselburgh. One of the subs, Ethan Wynne did have a 25-yard attempt on target, but Cairns easily saved. Then, in the last minute, Cowan missed a good chance with only Ross McRae to beat.

Full time: Musselburgh Athletic U20s 2-3 Blackburn United U20s

Edited by Casey Jones

20 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

I think it is 3 from the current bottom 6 (plus Crossgates). Cant see Jeanfield or Linlithgow being in the mix.

Which was easily predictable at the start of the season to be fair. 

Well that's what I was basing oor season on anyway but optimistically finishing mid table :unsure2:

Edited by newcastle broon

21 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

Defensively we're having a 'mare! Ball watching at the first and the 2nd just not dealt with by a leader! Fingers crossed for this weekend.

https://www.musselburghathleticfc.co.uk/videos/sauchie-21-musselburgh-athletic-91119-152846.html

Edited by Passthebaw

2 hours ago, Passthebaw said:

Defensively we're having a 'mare! Ball watching at the first and the 2nd just not dealt with by a leader! Fingers crossed for this weekend.

https://www.musselburghathleticfc.co.uk/videos/sauchie-21-musselburgh-athletic-91119-152846.html

Not sure if you are trying to get me into trouble PTB!

HoB 3 unchallenged headers - Jeanfield at least last 2 goals were walk-ins, where defenders stop. Caledonian Braves gave away another couple of goals. This is not speaking out of turn as anyone watching the videos can see for themselves. In a way, at least not being well on Saturday meant I did not do my notes for the match. Yes, I do not need to do my notes, but it helps me to remember matches and gives those who cant make matches a bit on an insight into what goes on at matches.

If Michael Moffat is fit on Saturday - we should play a 5-3-2 formation or a 3-5-2 formation. Depending on how the match progresses.

Keeper - three central defenders - three midfielders - two forwards - with right/left backs given freedom to be in defence (5-3-2) or move up wings (3-5-2). Both of them are young fit guys who can do the business. If Michael is not fit - scrap the idea (or just give the 'freedom' to left back and operate (4-4-2 or 3-5-2)

3 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

Which was easily predictable at the start of the season to be fair. 

Well that's what I was basing oor season on anyway but optimistically finishing mid table :unsure2:

A but - I wasn't including Musselburgh in my 6 or 7! Genuinely believed we were top 8 club come end of season! Now content to be 12th! 

Crucial league match coming up tomorrow when Burgh play 2nd top Cameron.

No need for worries though for the home side as we go for our 3rd straight win against a team currently punching above their weight in terms of their league position!

Played Cameron twice last season, both in cup ties, both at Olivebank. On 23 March, Burgh we’re getting hammered 2-0 by Camelon and all the dad army supporters were beating their chest at how easy this was. Only then, in the 2nd half, the same team capitulated and Burgh got an unlikely reprieve, scoring twice to put the cup King Cup tie into extra time. Burgh went on to to win 3-2 and instead of gloating, it was sad to see grown men cry and make all the usual outcries; the refs a homer, there’s more than one team on the pitch; how long ref etc!!

Then on 30 April you could see an already defeated away side enter the pitch. Burgh comfortably beat them 2-0 in this League cup tie.

Roll on tomorrow.

42 minutes ago, Casey Jones said:

Crucial league match coming up tomorrow when Burgh play 2nd top Cameron.

No need for worries though for the home side as we go for our 3rd straight win against a team currently punching above their weight in terms of their league position!

Played Cameron twice last season, both in cup ties, both at Olivebank. On 23 March, Burgh we’re getting hammered 2-0 by Camelon and all the dad army supporters were beating their chest at how easy this was. Only then, in the 2nd half, the same team capitulated and Burgh got an unlikely reprieve, scoring twice to put the cup King Cup tie into extra time. Burgh went on to to win 3-2 and instead of gloating, it was sad to see grown men cry and make all the usual outcries; the refs a homer, there’s more than one team on the pitch; how long ref etc!!

Then on 30 April you could see an already defeated away side enter the pitch. Burgh comfortably beat them 2-0 in this League cup tie.

Roll on tomorrow.

Can't believe your no used any of the stats.

Musselburgh at home last 44 games - won 37! 

- Unbeaten in 8 league games v Camelon.

- Musselburgh have went 13 months at home without failing to score.

- Despite the Shan form have won 6 of their last 7 home games.

Be Positive.  3 points 

7 minutes ago, The Faceman said:

Be Positive.  3 points 

Hopefully your turnaround waits another week boys and our good form continues 

9 minutes ago, The Faceman said:

Be Positive.  3 points 

What?? 

Was my post written in Chinese or Some other dialect that has made you confused?

Tell me one thing about my post which makes you think it was not positive!

Stats are fabulous.I love them and did use a couple, both of which are more relevant than yours!

My two stats are as up to date as can be - last two matches we played against Camelon - both within last 8 months. I also said we are going for 3 wins in a row - what is negative about any of that?

Final note on positive - yesterday your first thought was that game would be a draw. How many matches have Musselburgh drawn this season —- 0!!

10 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

Wasnt at the game but well done on turning us over. Good result for you guys. Musselburgh our bogey side

Good on you Alan! A neutral going to the match would have seen two teams trying to win a league match, but would never know there was a 14 team drop in positions that there currently is.

Camelon should have scored first, with the penalty. Two shots (including penalty) by Camelon hit the woodwork. One diving header which looked easier to hit the target, actually flew over the perimeter fence. 

A close match, but I’d say, Burgh deserved the victory. Best thing that happened today was that only Hill of Beath, within the top six teams won today, so Camelon’s loss went a bit unscathed!!

We look forward to the return match!

First win in a month and watching the performance yesterday, you have to ask yourself why!

As Michael Moffat is still injured, it was a welcome return for Jack Gillan who started at right back. A new back three set up worked well with only one wobble! Brian Martin had his best match of the season so far.

Now the team will go into next week’s Alex Jack Cup final with much more confidence. MTB!

32 minutes ago, BigTboy said:

Well done CJ, massive 3 points for Mussy and a clean sheet! Good luck next week in the final 👍

Best performance since we beat Linlithgow at the end of September. It will certainly give the boys a lift for Sunday’s cup final, though that will be another tough match. Oakley beat Dunbar in semi final and Dunbar beat us earlier in season. Play like yesterday though and we must have a great chance of lifting the cup.

11 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

Good on you Alan! A neutral going to the match would have seen two teams trying to win a league match, but would never know there was a 14 team drop in positions that there currently is.

Camelon should have scored first, with the penalty. Two shots (including penalty) by Camelon hit the woodwork. One diving header which looked easier to hit the target, actually flew over the perimeter fence. 

A close match, but I’d say, Burgh deserved the victory. Best thing that happened today was that only Hill of Beath, within the top six teams won today, so Camelon’s loss went a bit unscathed!!

We look forward to the return match!

Yeh any team can beat anyone. Mostly a top 2 or 3 and a bottom 4 or 5 would have emerged and it didnt happen. Could be February or march before we know more