Musselburgh Athletic F.C 2019/20

Great result on Saturday, getting Burgh into next month’s Alex Jack cup final!

About time we put our cup form, into our league matches. Saturday is a huge match for Musselburgh with Jeanfield Swifts visiting Olivebank.

Hope we get another big crowd through the gates to cheer the team on! MTB!

Former Musselburgh player Duncan Forbes has died aged 78. The central defender started out his career at the club before leaving in 1961 for Coldchester United where he played 270 games. In 1968 he moved to Norwich where he played 357 games before winding down his career with Great Yarmouth Town & Diss Town. Forbes was a legend at Norwich with 33 years of service as a player & non-player & was inducted into the Norwich hall of hame in it's inaugral year in 2002. Also a member of Coldchester's hall of fame, inducted in 2016.

Beat Jeanfield today and we could move up 3 positions in the league.
Lose and we will probably be in the bottom three!
All matches currently feel like cup finals!
Looking forward to it, in the auld brig just now. Casey, if you're in the 1934 club, come and say hello. You'll no miss me, Green jacket and docs with yellow laces [emoji23]

7 hours ago, philpy said:

Looking forward to it, in the auld brig just now. Casey, if you're in the 1934 club, come and say hello. You'll no miss me, Green jacket and docs with yellow laces emoji23.png

Sorry philpy! Just noticed your post just now. Because I drive to the match I don’t go into the bar! Wish I had seen you just to see your gear!!

was going to say I’m glad you came along, but for anyone wanting Burgh to win, it was anything but a great day!! Anyway hope you got a good welcome and service in the bar! Catch you next time! 👍

Well beat today but Jeanfield were pretty shameless.  No point in getting upset about the result because we were well beat but when you're still trying to get players sent off when you've got the game won....

Bad crack.

Edited by RobM

17 minutes ago, RobM said:

Well beat today but Jeanfield were pretty shameless.  No point in getting upet about the result because we were well beat but when you're still trying to get players sent off when you've got the game won....

Bad crack.

Agree Rob! We were beaten by a much better side today, but the guy who went down pole-axed when Nathan received a straight red deserved a smack in the goolies!! He stayed down for a minute; then the ref calls on their physio. Just as he approaches, the guy gets up and walks away, you can see there was hee-haw wrong with him! A yellow card, at minimum, should be awarded to these charlatans!! 

16 minutes ago, RobM said:

Well beat today but Jeanfield were pretty shameless.  No point in getting upet about the result because we were well beat but when you're still trying to get players sent off when you've got the game won....

Bad crack.

I took in this match today as I was in the area. Curious to know exactly what you mean by your comments as from what I saw there was no dubiety over the Musselburgh red cards. I would have sent off the Jeanfield player involved in the second Musselburgh red card but other than that I’m not sure we were at the same game. 

Just now, Casey Jones said:

Agree Rob! We were beaten by a much better side today, but the guy who went down pole-axed when Nathan received a straight red deserved a smack in the goolies!! He stayed down for a minute; then the ref calls on their physio. Just as he approaches, the guy gets up and walks away, you can see there was hee-haw wrong with him! A yellow card, at minimum, should be awarded to these charlatans!! 

Agree the Jeanfield player made the most of it but a tackle where your foot is rib high should be considered out of control and worthy of a red card. 
Musselburgh were dreadful in defence and going forward were a force until the red cards. Myles was also lucky to only get a yellow card for a poor challenge. 
Only my views though!

From my position behind the goal it did look a bad challenge for the first red but all depends on refs decision.

Second decision was too far away as I just saw our player on the ground.

Musselburgh were actually the better team after the red cards

Ref didn't have best of games missing a stone wall penalty for Swifts just after the opening goal.

Good win for us. Been threatening for a few games to score a lot of goals but not been getting the breaks. Hopefully kick on from now.

I took in this match today as I was in the area. Curious to know exactly what you mean by your comments as from what I saw there was no dubiety over the Musselburgh red cards. I would have sent off the Jeanfield player involved in the second Musselburgh red card but other than that I’m not sure we were at the same game. 

The boys reaction after Jackie Myles challege was laughable, Jackie was booked for it but the Jeanfield guy's histrionics were ludicrous, physio was laughing after he'd been on to treat him amidst a fair old bit of rolling around and holding his shin, Jeanfield wanted to dish it but were happy to play the victims when it went the other way, cynical stuff.

Edited by RobM

1 minute ago, Cumbo said:

From my position behind the goal it did look a bad challenge for the first red but all depends on refs decision.

Ref didn't have best of games missing a stone wall penalty for Swifts just after the opening goal.

Good win for us. Been threatening for a few games to score a lot of goals but not been getting the breaks. Hopefully kick on from now.

As

Wouldn't argue wih a word of that mate, better team won it.

12 minutes ago, Cumbo said:

I was side on to the challenge and whilst it maybe didn’t comment it was wild and out of control. 
Second red from my point of view was justified but only responding to Jeanfield players kick. 
Your 23 was man of the match for me - only denied a hat trick by the teams chosen penalty taker. 

Yes the penalty taker who happens to be his older brother

I was side on to the challenge and whilst it maybe didn’t comment it was wild and out of control. 
Second red from my point of view was justified but only responding to Jeanfield players kick. 
Your 23 was man of the match for me - only denied a hat trick by the teams chosen penalty taker. 

21 minutes ago, Bufty Boots said:

Agree the Jeanfield player made the most of it but a tackle where your foot is rib high should be considered out of control and worthy of a red card. 
Musselburgh were dreadful in defence and going forward were a force until the red cards. Myles was also lucky to only get a yellow card for a poor challenge. 
Only my views though!

Sending off was as it was. My grumble is guys feigning injury and lying on ground when there is nothing wrong with them. It is cheating and doesn’t look good from that point of view. 

I agree with you today - Musselburgh’s defence was awful. My main grumble is that we had no fight. If everyone played like Jackie who didn’t have a great game - but he shows he cares about the team) we might not have got beat 6-3.

My view - Jackie’s tackle was worse than Nathan’s. 

We got beat by a better team - simple. Getting 3 goals - and we could have got more; usually will win you a match. Sadly, not the way we are playing today. Jeanfield are best side we have faced this season. 

14 minutes ago, Bufty Boots said:

Thought the no. 10 was man of match. Laid on goals and controlled midfield. On that performance, regardless how good/bad Musselburgh were, I am surprised Jeanfield were so far down league before start of this match.

3 minutes ago, Casey Jones said:

Sending off was as it was. My grumble is guys feigning injury and lying on ground when there is nothing wrong with them. It is cheating and doesn’t look good from that point of view. 

I agree with you today - Musselburgh’s defence was awful. My main grumble is that we had no fight. If everyone played like Jackie who didn’t have a great game - but he shows he cares about the team) we might not have got beat 6-3.

My view - Jackie’s tackle was worse than Nathan’s. 

We got beat by a better team - simple. Getting 3 goals - and we could have got more; usually will win you a match. Sadly, not the way we are playing today. Jeanfield are best side we have faced this season. 

Agree with that. The guy in the first sending off was hardly touched but lay down for ages. The guy Myles hit rolled over about twenty times - poor form.